By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish says "Japanese games sucks" ......I sort of agree (Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish)

Tagged games:

Do you agree with Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish?

Yes 16 10.26%

No 139 89.10%

Total:155
Lafiel said:

Another problem is that japanese devs seem to lag behind western devs in using the new tech and in creating content with that at a decent pace, which is why several projects seem to have lost a lot of their brilliance in level design and story design, because resources had to be used to get the visuals up to par with western productions.

Do Japanese use the Unreal Engine? Just wondering.... somewhat related to your post. 

On topic, a generalisation but in a sense, I can see where he is coming from but it's not to do with tutorials, I think it's to do with where their stance has moved. Dragon Quest 9 on DS is the greatest example. It's no longer the case in japan that you can make most your money on the home consoles. Development costs are high, you need decent sales. On handheld, development is cheaper therefore selling the same amount makes more.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Rather than sucking I've noticed that they "refuse to change"

That's why Xenoblade and TWEWY was such a breath of fresh air me thinks.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:

and TWEWY

You have my eternal respect for mentioning that game.

Th3PANO said:
Suke said:
Th3PANO said:
Kyuu said:

well I do agree even the best Japanese makers are nowhere as good as they used to be, while western games keep on improving.

which western dev keeps improving??? ubisoft gets more dull, ea also, activision also. You are talking about First Party dev's and talented people, but they aren't the majority. Look what crap gets released the entire year from the western market. 99 % bullsh*t.

American devs as a whole, if its small or large dev groups.

As a whole. Are you serious? There are american Studios that are good at what they are making but we had a lot of crap this gen, the whole motion control stuff, the whole fps oversatisfaction. Dumbing down sequels for the masses. We had the good devs which made good games and then we had the 90 % devs that copied the gameplay and style.

Hey the sequels and FPS, I personally look at the big gaming companies like Activision and EA. But their alot of small devs that does put alot of working in the games design but also focus on a compelling story. For example, Sucker Punch with Infamous and Sly Cooper. I like how each sequel evolve the experiences of the franchise, not to say other japanese devs does that as well. Atlus, Alpha Dream (Mario & Luigi), Intellegent System (Paper Mario and Fire Emblem). 

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

mii-gamer said:
blow fish hahahaha.
Japanese people eat these - figures they would have a grudge

Make sure to eat some braid with those, and bring a FEZ dispenser for some desert.

sorry

Around the Network
Wright said:
Otakumegane said:

and TWEWY

You have my eternal respect for mentioning that game.

That game is why I still have a tiny bit of hope for SE left.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Also, the output of Japan should be less than all west which includes USA ( bigwger than Japan alone) , Canada, all of Europe.

I'm sorry but I couldn't watch that video anymore after the 1 min mark; because of his initial reaction (esp that idiot who was laughing hysterically).

Japanese developers may not have changed as much or might not have caught up with everyone else's way of making games but at least they don't have bruised egos like western devs; which ultimately led to their downfalls, cutbacks, and closings. because of thier so-called "AAA" titles.

I like the way they are now (even with their flaws)

Watching the video

1. That was a classless and insulting way to answer a solid audience question. Staggering arrogance and lack of tactful understanding. Just disgusting.

2. The major complaint is MODERN game design, not a geographic one. The notion of more tutorials and explaining to players where to go and what to do.

I would put western and eastern design on par with one another for my tastes with very different strengths and weaknesses. I completely disagree with the panel and think game design can be handled in variety of ways.

Red4ADevil said:

I'm sorry but I couldn't watch that video anymore after the 1 min mark; because of his initial reaction (esp that idiot who was laughing hysterically).

Japanese developers may not have changed as much or might not have caught up with everyone else's way of making games but at least they don't have bruised egos like western devs; which ultimately led to their downfalls, cutbacks, and closings. because of thier so-called "AAA" titles.

I like the way they are now (even with their flaws)

Agree, thought I get fusterated with most Japanese games I play, at least I can still give the devs respect. 

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke