By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does it make sense to call the WiiU a failure at this point in time?

Does it make any sense?

Yes 145 33.11%

No 291 66.44%

Total:436
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Oh my, ruthless mods turned a happy dolphin into a sad panda!     

hehehehehe

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Talal said:
S.Peelman said:

You can only say that the first half year for the WiiU were a failure. It didn't meet expectations, so that fits the definition as you posted. It is however still impossible to know the WiiU will meet it's lifetime expectations. For now, it's failing, but you can't put the definition of failure on the WiiU yet.

I completely agree. It's waaaay too early to say that the Wii U will never be successful. I'm just saying that for now it is a failure. Calling it a failure doesn't mean that it'll always be a failure it just means that it currently is.

Again, the first 8 months are a failure, but to call the U a failure is simply moronic or at least sounds moronic, because the U has only been out for 8 months and none of its competitors have released yet, so to call it a failure is just entirely idiotic to say the least, because it connotes that it is an all-around failure.

As an example, the Jaguar is a failure, but the 3DS is not. The U is following a similar pattern to the 3DS, so it's likely not a failure, just rather struggling atm.

The choice of words to convey a meaning is VERY important on a forum, imho.

When an athlete that recently went pro performes badly he's referred to as a bad player. You don't say wait he's new lets judge him later. You say that he's bad. Again it doesn't mean that he'll never be good especially since he's still new and all.

Edit: This turned into an argument of what failure means. I think I agree with you, but I think that the use of the word failure in this instance is not wrong.

Talal said:

When an athlete that recently went pro performes badly he's referred to as a bad player. You don't say wait he's new lets judge him later. You say that he's bad. Again it doesn't mean that he'll never be good especially since he's still new and all.

Edit: This turned into an argument of what failure means. I think I agree with you, but I think that the use of the word failure in this instance is not wrong.

Thanks for bringing up this example that proves my point and sceals the deal. They might call the player bad, but they certainly won't call him a failure.

happydolphin said:
Talal said:

Thanks for bringing up this example that proves my point and sceals the deal. They might call the player bad, but they certainly won't call him a failure.

I could list all the definitions of "failure" to you and you still wouldn't be convinced so I concede.

Talal said:
happydolphin said:
Talal said:

I could list all the definitions of "failure" to you and you still wouldn't be convinced so I concede.

I think you've got the right idea. I don't think I'm getting through any.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

Nintendo wanted to ship 5.5 Million Wii U systems by April 1st

Nintendo actually shipped 3.45 Million Wii U systems by April 1st

According to VGChartz, 3.3 Million Wii U systems have been sold by July 13th

The sheer definition of "failure" is something that has a lack of success. A failure is something that hasnt met expectations.

The Wii U, right now, is a failure by definition.

You have to wait until the new consoles start selling, then you will know whether it is a failure or not. The PS360 already have their momentum going, they are cheaper, have a huge library of blockbusters titles, etc so it isn't fait to compare the Wii U with these two and then calling it a failure simply because the fact that it is new or next gen (which is another thread all on its own) is not a bit enough selling point to beat the current gen consoles.

To answer your question, the Wii U is not a failure. It still has a way to grow but it does look like the public's interest for the Wii U is stagnant.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
You have to wait until the new consoles start selling, then you will know whether it is a failure or not. The PS360 already have their momentum going, they are cheaper, have a huge library of blockbusters titles, etc so it isn't fait to compare the Wii U with these two and then calling it a failure simply because the fact that it is new or next gen (which is another thread all on its own) is not a bit enough selling point to beat the current gen consoles.

To answer your question, the Wii U is not a failure. It still has a way to grow but it does look like the public's interest for the Wii U is stagnant.

No I'm afraid thats not how it works, no matter what people want to believe the WIi U does not exist in a vacuum. It does and will continue to compete with PS360 we dont have to wait till the new systems come out to see how it is doing. The fact that its getting trounced so soundly by consoles that have been on the market for years (Wii included) shows how dire it is right now. A brand new fresh of the machines console should be putting up a MUCH better fight.

ANd even then that still doesnt adress the fact that it misses Ninty's own projections by a lot.

oniyide said:
Areym said:

No I'm afraid thats not how it works, no matter what people want to believe the WIi U does not exist in a vacuum. It does and will continue to compete with PS360 we dont have to wait till the new systems come out to see how it is doing. The fact that its getting trounced so soundly by consoles that have been on the market for years (Wii included) shows how dire it is right now. A brand new fresh of the machines console should be putting up a MUCH better fight.

ANd even then that still doesnt adress the fact that it misses Ninty's own projections by a lot.

Comparisons with the Wii is fine. If your older console is beating your new and improved next gen console, then you really have a problem. I understand that the older consoles beating out a new gen is a dire sign for that new gen console, but the PS360 are still getting big titles, marketing, discounts, etc. To me, naturally they will keep beating out the Wii U because they already have so much going for them and people's opinion on the Wii U which seems to suggest that the Wii U does not feel much like a next gen, at least the conclusion I have drawn from talking to other gamers I know. The push from Nintendo for the Wii U has been pretty poor overall as well. When a 3D mario, Mario Kart, super smash bros and that new zelda game start coming out, I think we will have our answer.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
oniyide said:
Areym said:

Comparisons with the Wii is fine. If your older console is beating your new and improved next gen console, then you really have a problem. I understand that the older consoles beating out a new gen is a dire sign for that new gen console, but the PS360 are still getting big titles, marketing, discounts, etc. To me, naturally they will keep beating out the Wii U because they already have so much going for them and people's opinion on the Wii U which seems to suggest that the Wii U does not feel much like a next gen, at least the conclusion I have drawn from talking to other gamers I know. The push from Nintendo for the Wii U has been pretty poor overall as well. When a 3D mario, Mario Kart, super smash bros and that new zelda game start coming out, I think we will have our answer.

All that said, the Wii U is still failing right NOW, just like how PS3 was failing in the beginning, no one here is suggesting it will always fail. BUt to try to sugar coat it and say you cant say this untill this system comes out or this game comes out, nonsense, the system it out NOW and people will judge it on that. Otherwise Ninty could have just kept the damn thing in the factory till this xmas

that still doesnt address the whole missing Ninty's own forecast thing.