By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does it make sense to call the WiiU a failure at this point in time?

Does it make any sense?

Yes 145 33.11%

No 291 66.44%

Total:436

The O.P. was banned?
Also, too early to say if it is a failure, to speak without doubts we have to give at least two years.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

Is it a failure? no
Is it failING it's expectations? yes

And I think the other two consoles are going to perform a similar pattern.

WagnerPaiva said:
The O.P. was banned?
Also, too early to say if it is a failure, to speak without doubts we have to give at least two years.

He was, but not for this

Areym said:

Comparisons with the Wii is fine. If your older console is beating your new and improved next gen console, then you really have a problem.

The PS2 was outselling the PS3 for a good 8 fiscal quarters (around 2 years):

PlayStation®2 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (since April 2006)

(Unit: Million)

Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

FY(*)

FY2006

FY2007

FY2008

PlayStation®3 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (since April 2006)

(Unit: Million)

Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

FY(*)

FY2006

-

-

FY2007

FY2008

If you're currently doing a test, and you've answered 2 questions out of 50 so far, both of which are incorrect, does that mean you've failed the whole test? I think not!

Around the Network

Wii U is Failure for everyone, The game are ok the number tho ? are mediocre.

The publisher are skipping the console, so the gamer lose

Wii U is a Failure for the gamer.

But Wii U is a success if you play Nintendo game alone Tho.

MoiseHnkel said:
Wii U is Failure for everyone, The game are ok the number tho ? are mediocre.

The publisher are skipping the console, so the gamer lose

Wii U is a Failure for the gamer.

But Wii U is a success if you play Nintendo game alone Tho.

I don't only play Nintendo games + The Wii U will be a success to me = Your logic fails!

So far, yes the WiiU is failing, but i guarantee they'll turn it around and pull some strong numbers for a while, at this point it looks like beating Gamecubes sales will be an achievement to be honest, but the main thing is Nintendo is profiting from it, so its all good.

Plus hopefully because of its lackluster sales so far it pushes Nintendo to make the best games they can possibly make to improve the situation.

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

Of course the Wii U is a success. It's called Cost of Capital, people.

The definition of success for a console is making money. In other words, did making the console make Nintendo more money than buying bonds, stock, or just putting the money in a bank would have, which is usually about 3-5%.

So the Wii U is a failure IF
(R&D + Production costs) *Require Rate of Return >= Wii U sales revenue.

Yeah. The Wii U is DEFINITELY a success from a business standard. It will easily best that figure.

This just goes to show how different hardware philosophies fail differently. A launch like this would have probably devastated Microsoft or Sony because their R&D, production, and inventory costs from launching are MUCH higher and they *must* have third party developers make games for their systems for them to ever recoup those losses. Third party software would have never come if PS4 or XB1 sales were as poor as the Wii U's is now. Nintendo has cheaper hardware, so they're nowhere near as far in the red as Sony and Microsoft will be at launch, and they have a lot of first party studios to push games for the Wii U with or without third party support.

But of course, fanboys aren't interested in required rate of return figures. They just look at sales and come to the wrong conclusions.

Well its not a success.....yet. At this point in time I would call it a failure a year from now who knows! If the Ps3 could claw its way back then whats stopping the WiiU from doing so.