By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XII was released before it would have been accepted by the FF fanbase.

Tagged games:

Galvanizer said:
Nem said:

I was never incorrect to begin with, and other people have come here and posted they have had similar experiences. So, surely it wasnt just me.

Maybe you enjoyed other aspects of the game so much you didnt realise it. I know know, but i do know theres no choice here but to agree to disagree.

My underlying point is that the grinding was a game design choice to make people get in battles more. The fact you need so much EXP to level up is good design, as it gives the player reason to use the Chaining system and both acquire rare drops and gain more EXP. You only found the grinding flawed because you found the battles dull and were in rush to get to the next story scene.

For example, in Fire Emblem there's a perma-death feature. If you lose a character, you have to restart the entire chapter again. That makes the game very tedious and frustrating. However, there's nothing wrong with that, as it's a game design choice to make a player feel more weight with their tactical decisions during gameplay. If one doesn't like this perema-detah feature, they should just admit FE isn't for them, rather than saying the gameplay is bad. In the same way, if you don't like the amount EXP needed to level up in FFXII, the game is simply not for you. The amount of EXP needed to level doesn't make the game design bad. It's just makes it different.

Ah... i see. Ok, then that makes sense. I interpreted that as an MMO mechanic that doesnt quite work on offline single player where from my point of view the point is to experience the advancement of the story, but you enjoyed it and didnt see it as a grind.

The perma death feature in fire emblem is terrible and i dislike it. Thankfully that was changed with Awakening. Its not the gameplay that is bad in that situation but the design. Of course, if you're good enough you can avoid those things. :)

I can agree with FFXII not beeing for me in the form its in. If they do hope they make an open world FF again, but with less grinding required to advance the main story. Its fine for side-quests as those are an option.

Around the Network

I don't agree that it would have sold 10M and saved JRPGs. Infinite Undiscovery was essentially the next-gen version of FF12 and nobody cared.

I loved FF12 to death and played 127 hours, beat Yiazmat and all optional bosses, etc, but I doubt it would have received the additional praise you describe

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Galvanizer said:

Yes, we should just respect our differences in opinion. No hard feelings, bro. However, I would prefer if people such as yourself just stated that FFXII was not for them, rather than stating that the game was outright bad. After all, many like FFX, but I don't say the game is terrible despite disliking it. I just state it's not for me, as I found it far too linear and cut-scene heavy for my personal taste in gaming.

I liked the game for what it was, I just don't think it was quite a masterpiece. Just wanted to clear this out, I don't think the game was bad. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

Mistakes were made on the part of Square Enix. Do I think the game could have sold 10 mil copies and revolutionalised JRPGs...

If the year is 2007 when FF12 came out, the answer is no.

If the year is 2013 two years after Skyrim sold 11 mil copies (which I still can't believe), and if, only if the game was made with Yasumi Matsuno and his team with full control on the project, the answer is yes.

Nem said:

Ah... i see. Ok, then that makes sense. I interpreted that as an MMO mechanic that doesnt quite work on offline single player where from my point of view the point is to experience the advancement of the story, but you enjoyed it and didnt see it as a grind.

The perma death feature in fire emblem is terrible and i dislike it. Thankfully that was changed with Awakening. Its not the gameplay that is bad in that situation but the design. Of course, if you're good enough you can avoid those things. :)

I can agree with FFXII not beeing for me in the form its in. If they do hope they make an open world FF again, but with less grinding required to advance the main story. Its fine for side-quests as those are an option.

Well, I mainly play JRPGs for the full package of story, battles, and exploration. In the case of FFXII, I could see that the reason they mae it so you need so much EXP was as way to urge the player to chain enemies. By doing this, not only does the EXP begin to pile up, but enemies also begin to drop more rare loot that sells for more Gil. It's a win-win situation and goo game design, IMO. the decision only becomes a flaw if you mainly play for the story scenes, as that means you need to grind much more to keep up with the increasing enemy difficulty.

I actually, liked the perma death feature in Fire Emblem. However, what I disliked was the inability to save during chapters. That way, if you made a bad move, you could just rest and carry on fro where you last saved. I haven't played FE: Awakening. I've only played FE7, FE8: The Scared Stones, FE9: Path of Radience, and FE10: Radient Dawn.

I really hope they make a open world FF like FFXII again. However, I hope they inclide far more variety in the gameplay than just exploring and battles. It would be nice if they include loads of  mini-games.

Iveyboi said:

I don't agree that it would have sold 10M and saved JRPGs. Infinite Undiscovery was essentially the next-gen version of FF12 and nobody cared.

I loved FF12 to death and played 127 hours, beat Yiazmat and all optional bosses, etc, but I doubt it would have received the additional praise you describe

Infinite Undiscovery isn't as good as FFXII though. The battle system lacks deoth, the world scale is much smaller, and the voice acting and story arem't as realistic and mature. I think FFXII, as the latest mainline FF in a series that's the biggest JRPG series, would have attracted more attention and considerably more praise.

Zkuq said:

I liked the game for what it was, I just don't think it was quite a masterpiece. Just wanted to clear this out, I don't think the game was bad. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

Fair enough and my mistake. I actually like parts of FFXIII, mainly the art direction and graphics, but I found the gameplay and story to be medicore. With FFXII, there's hardly anything I dislike. It's not pefect, but the things I dislike come off as minor flaws and they're even corrected in the International version.

Around the Network
Galvanizer said:
Scoobes said:

Vaan isn't a strong enough character to bring the cast together and be a main protagonist. He's not that far removed from the blank slate that WRPGs usually employ, but those games compensate for that by giving players choices in the story. It's a weak excuse for including Vaan as the main protagonist. As a side character he could fulfill the same role whilst making room for a protagonist with a greater investment in the plot to draw the player into the story. Instead, he's just a weak protagonist that ticks all the stylistic boxes whilst having little to no relevance to the plot. The fact that he needs such a weak excuse of "he brings the entire cast together" reinforces my point that he has no genuine relevance to the plot. Any of the chracters could have fulfilled that role with a very small amount of rewriting and without singificantly changing their character.

As for character interaction, I'm fairly sure I remember Rikku having a conversation with everyone at some point. Not 100% sure as it's been a while but I have vague recollections of a number of general party conversations. Not so much in XII.

As for X I'd argue that X has a fairly simple plot at its core with some familiar concepts (e.g. corrupt religious leaders), but more importantly, the storytelling is stronger. Frequent storytelling/character developing cut-scenes, protagonists that are central to the plot and no "filler" characters. Yuna fulfilled the role of bringing the cast together and was central to the plot. She falls for Tidus which gives the player an easy concept to emotionally invest themselves in. It makes people care about the characters even though at its core, it's a more basic storyline when compared to XII.

I disgaree that Vaan needs to have the entire story revolve around him in order for him to be a good protagonist. You're basically feeding off a JRPG stereotype of how the main character must be vital and intergral to every aspect of the plot. FFXII doesn't obey that rule and it's much better as a reult.

As for character interaction in FFX, there was more of it compared to FFXII, but there were still charcaters that barely spoke. I paid keen attention to this when I played FFX in january this year. Seriously, nobody even had a deep conversation with Kimahri. He was just standing there doing noothing for the most part. He only came alive when a fight was about to break out.

I didn't say the story needed to revolve around him, but he at least needs to be relevant to the plot. In X, the majority of the plot didn't revolve around Tidus, it revolved around Yuna; the POV character was still relevant with valuable insight. In VII the plot was centered around Sephiroth, Cloud was just there for revenge; the POV character was relevant. In VIII the plot is shared between Squall and Laguna; both were relevant to the story (as much as I hated Squall). In VI the cast was a true ensemble with multiple POVs; many of those were relevant to the narrative.

It's not a sterotype for the series so that's not why I think he's a poor protagonist. I do however expect a protagonist to at least have a modicum of relevance to the story otherwise why should I see the story from his POV? Why do I care? The character has no true investment in the story so he's effectively a casual observer. It distances the player from the narrative.

As for Kimahri, that's pretty much his character trope (silent, but fiercely protective; seen, but not heard) whereas in XII it didn't feel like the characters really interacted regardless of their character trope.

A203D said:
Mistakes were made on the part of Square Enix. Do I think the game could have sold 10 mil copies and revolutionalised JRPGs...

If the year is 2013 two years after Skyrim sold 11 mil copies (which I still can't believe), and if, only if the game was made with Yasumi Matsuno and his team with full control on the project, the answer is yes.

Why's that so hard to believe? They're different genres and people play them for different reasons.

Scoobes said:
A203D said:

Why's that so hard to believe? They're different genres and people play them for different reasons.

Well I can't believe any RPG is that popular. FPS I can understand why so many people play that genre.

But WRPGS, or JRPGs are not casual games. They take a lot of time and commitment to play, I'm supprised Skyrim was that popular. I suppose however a lot of the sales were on PC, where Final Fantasy does not have a strong following compared to WRPGs, which have (as I understand) a large PC market.

To date, I don't really understand why so many people hated Final Fantasy XII. Sure, Vaan and Penelo were kinda bland heroes, but aside from that it was great. (And to be fair, Vaan and Penelo were added later on in development for bishie japanese kids to have an in-game avatar; they were never meant to be big players in the story.)

I mean, the Battle system SEEMED like it took control of you, but it really didn't. Basically, you got to program your characters to act as you would, thus eliminating redundancy. So instead of mashing X ad nauseum to finish random battles, you had to prepare in advance so the battles themselves were mostly taken care of. And to make matters better, if something came up you hadn't anticipated, you could manually control each ally's moves and thus treat it like a traditional FF game. The choice really was yours, since there was options in place to either let you use the gambit system or have the game pause when in a menu much like previous games.

The story and characters were some of the best written in the series, and the world was one of the deepest, most fleshed out ever conceived in a game. There may not have been a massive open world like the first nine games, but the way things were done, it still felt huge, and there were tonnes of hidden areas and secrets to be found.

There was enough side content to keep you busy for hundreds of hours, marks were fun as hell to hunt down and get rewards for, testing your skill throughout rather than just being endgame content.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

FF 12 is another of those games that suffers from being to different than its predecessors. It should have been named something else but a numbered Final Fantasy Game.

Remember Final Fantasty Adventure? on the GameBoy? This reminded me so much of that type of game.

Had an awesome Combat "AI system" in the Gambit System. (I fucking hated the License System tho. Make it for things that ARENT weapons/armor/accessories and just for strength/magic/hp etc and it would have been great).

I thought it was one of the weaker Final Fantasy games in the character department, but overall it was a fun and challenging game.