By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create, Famitsu & Dengeki - Week 28 ( July 8 - July 14 )

"Oh dear" is my response to everything this week.

Pikmin - not bad, really, considering the glacial pace that Wii-U is selling at. Bit less than Pikmin 1's debut, so not terrible. I must admit, though, I was swept up in the hype of "Nintendo are advertising it!" and thought it would at least sell 100k+.

Wii-U - to be expected. Pikmin just wasn't going to be much of a system seller to people other than loyal Nintendo fans, who likely already owned the system. Again, 20k is a bit below what I was thinking (25kish), so not a disaster, but really not what the console needed (especially given the marketing push).

Youkai Watch - no idea what to think. People keep telling me "wait for the anime!" so I guess we will indeed have to see with that one; but it's not really a fantastic opening.

Metal Gear Solid - seems poor, even if it is just a collection of games that everyone already owns.

Toukiden - tumbling like a rock, which is a shame. Doubtful whether it'll beat Persona's LT numbers now; although it should easily get past Miku & Soul Sacrifice (and I suppose it's being held back by 100k+ worth of PSP sales, too).

Atelier - WHY DON'T YOU LOVE IT ANYMORE JAPAN!? Uff. I hope this doesn't have any bearing on whether TK localise or not.

Vita hardware - nothing to write home about, but should hold at a decent level long enough for Dragon's Crown to release and boost it up a bit more. Although it's a long wait for anything major after that.

Around the Network

Pikmin and its 40-60% sellthru, that's not a good look, even worse for Luigi. So much for the "on NSMBU level" type sales.

Yakuzaice said:
Conegamer said:

True, but that is MH, a series which sells in the millions. Pikmin sells in the 200-300k range. It was never going to produce numbers like 500k SW/100k HW. If you take it for a average selling game boosting HW by such an amount, it is promising for the likes of Zelda, Mario, DK etc.

Pikmin has quite literally never sold in that range.  At least from Famitsu numbers.  Pikmin 1 was 500k, 2 was 470k.  While the Wii remakes were both below your range with 171k and 148k.

Hmm, it was just a guess actually. I knew they started off with sales FW of 200k or under and I guess they didn't tail off as expected.

Apologies for the error.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Expected, week 2 should be interesting. Pikmin will have decent legs

ryuzaki57 said:
Is it just me or Yokai Watch is a huge bomba?

Few things you would have to think about in this case
#1 it's a new IP
#2 it could have long legs
#3 given the type of game it is, I don't think it was meant to be a million seller
#4 you just a hater
#5 a "huge bomba" for a title like this would be 15k, not 50k

Around the Network

Wii U+pikmin done well, nothing special but proof that good software can take the Wii U to healthy levels. Two things to remember:

1. The wii U is not a handheld, so its boosts are likely to be lessor than the Vita's.
2. This literally the only flagship release in nearly 6months. The system has to keep building momentum with regular releases.

People are really not seeing that Pikmin and Luigi both has 2 days of sales.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:

To be fair, even with just 2 days of sales there's still the large drop off the following week.

Otakumegane said:

Be quiet, now. We want to let people make their pre-emptive judgement now, don't we?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

23k, a 300% increase WoW. I thought 25k, so that's not too far off the mark.

And Wow Turkish. If a 300% increase for a game that sells less than 100k FW doesn't suggest there's life left in the system, then I don't k ow what to say, really. Having said that, I do wonder how things will hold up in the long run. That is easily the most important thing.

Why do you leave out the new White Premium console, the retail version of NSMLU and the bundled Nintendoland + WiiMote plus. I doubt Pikmin 3 was the sole responsible, and sales are still abysmal. The Wii U will be back to sub 10k levels pretty soon, since there's barely anything coming out until Q4 of this year.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies