By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Taking the 3DS Plunge. 3DS or XL?

xl

Around the Network

Both shoulder buttons on my original 3DS occasionally don't register after a bit more than one year of (fairly violent Mario Kart 7) usage. Not sure if the same thing happens with the XL version after a while. Lulz' points about the XL version being more comfortable in your hands and having a better 3D effect are also perfectly valid.

Still, the colors of the screen looks better on the original version (no slightly yellow-ish filter and less stretched) and the sound is louder and clearer unless you use headphones.Though these are pretty much its only advantages.

XL has better build....but doesn't come in black so if you want a black one, you're better off getting the OG 3DS.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I also have to recommend the XL, as the pros if offers compared to the original far exceed the $30 upcharge.

Pros:

• Larger screens
  • Better battery life
  • The 3D "sweet spot" is easier to locate, and much harder to lose
  • More comfortable for larger hands
  • Larger screens
  • Better stylus location (and better stylus)
  • Better shoulder buttons, with a slightly larger circle pad and face buttons
  • Comes with a 4GB SD card as opposed to a 2GB SD card (Original 3DS)
  • Larger screens

Cons:

• Not very pocket friendly
  • Speakers tend to strain when on higher volumes for music intensive games
  • Has a slight yellowish tint compared to the Original 3DS. However, it really is noticable only if you compare the two side to side.
  • European XL's dont come included with a AC cord

just keep in mind that the XL doesnt bring a power adapter. If you dont have one you have to buy it separatly.

Around the Network
Nem said:

just keep in mind that the XL doesnt bring a power adapter. If you dont have one you have to buy it separatly.

Just charging is what I need. What would a power adapter do?

Sorry if this sounds extremely noobish

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

go for the XL.... got the pikachu edition...

The XL is the one to go for. The build quality is better, it is easier to use in your hands, the screens are brighter and the battery life is longer.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

sales2099 said:
Nem said:

Just charging is what I need. What would a power adapter do?

Sorry if this sounds extremely noobish

He means that it comes without a charger, but that is only in EU and Japan. In NA I think its included.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Aside from having a smaller footprint so portability is a bit easier, there's absolutely nothing better about the standard model, IMO. The XL trumps it in every category, especially comfort.

Once there's a color I want here in NA I'll be upgrading to the XL immediately.