By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Simplified explanation of how the PS4 is twice as strong graphically as the Xbox One

kowenicki said:
So we will see far more 60fps games on the PS4 than on the One?

when?

Drive club and Forza disagree. KIllzone is saying nothing.

Someone here laughed his ass off and told me that it would be pathetic if driving games arent 60fps in the next gen... he was a PS4 fan responding to the Forza confirmation of 60fps you see....

alas drive club has let him down already.

When you say?   Maybe we should leave that answer to you know, when the gen starts and games start releasing for it..

Around the Network

Not all games need to be 60fps. Shooters, fighters and racers should definitely be 60fps but other genres are fine at 30fps.

I think the WiiU has more 1080p/60fps than PS4 which I can conclude that the WiiU is more powerful than the PS4. Right?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

kowenicki said:

...and yet one is 60fps and one is 30fps.

ah well.

Fixed lighing vs. dinamic lighting tells you everything... and environments but I don't give a shit for that one.

kowenicki said:

missing the point.... again.

the ps4 is "twice as powerful". Why cant it handle dynamic lighting at 60fps?

its a beast... a powerhouse, its TWICE as powerful as the ONE.

I just tried to explain the difference... and 30fps is not confirmed to Drive Club.

For me in photorealism term GT6 is ahead both yet with the better lighting... F5 looks cartoony (plastic visual) and the lighting lol baked... DriveClub have better environments and better lighting.

I'm not trolling Forza 5 this time lol... both game are using different technical approaches... DriveClub a more dinamic and graphical vs Forza 5 performance / physics.

I can't tell which is better without play both... 60fps really matter for racing games... so maybe Forza 5 looks better while playing.

Edit - Forza 5 will have better physics than DriveClub... again different approaches.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

...and yet one is 60fps and one is 30fps.

ah well.

Fixed lighing vs. dinamic lighting tells you everything.

missing the point.... again.

the ps4 is "twice as powerful". Why cant it handle dynamic lighting at 60fps?

its a beast... a powerhouse, its TWICE as powerful as the ONE.

If we are to assume it's twice as powerful (not my claim personally) with similar architecture, then we could assume that while 30fps with dynamic lighting on PS4 sounds awful (because frankly it is), then we could assume the same game with dynamic lighting running at 15fps on One sounds even worse.

If the developers can't achieve 60fps with dynamic lighting in time for launch, they need to drop it. Period. It's just not worth it, not even close. That doesn't change the fact that dynamic lighting is far, FAR more demanding on hardware than the kind of baked stuff we've been doing since the dawn of 3D consoles.

DietSoap said:

If we are to assume it's twice as powerful (not my claim personally) with similar architecture, then we could assume that while 30fps with dynamic lighting on PS4 sounds awful (because frankly it is), then we could assume the same game with dynamic lighting running at 15fps on One sounds even worse.

If the developers can't achieve 60fps with dynamic lighting in time for launch, they need to drop it. Period. It's just not worth it, not even close. That doesn't change the fact that dynamic lighting is far, FAR more demanding on hardware than the kind of baked stuff we've been doing since the dawn of 3D consoles.

Pretty much this - that's the reason why Epic dropped SVO global illumination from UE4, at least for now.

Not that I think fully dynamic lighting is not possible on next-gen hardware, it's just might be the wrong genre for showcasing it - since the dawn of 3D graphics, dimly lit corridor games were always the ones showcasing latest and greatest, so I'm gueesing something like that will be first game that truly stuns us.

Hm, when you think of it, both Deep Down and Dark Sorcerer demos fall under that dimly lit corridor type of presentation - and, at least for me, they were, by far, the best looking stuff from anything showcased so far.

kowenicki said:
Captain_Tom said:
kowenicki said:
So we will see far more 60fps games on the PS4 than on the One?

when?

Drive club and Forza disagree. KIllzone is saying nothing.

Someone here laughed his ass off and told me that it would be pathetic if driving games arent 60fps in the next gen... he was a PS4 fan responding to the Forza confirmation of 60fps you see....

alas drive club has let him down already.

That's what  dev said, and so that is where I got it from.  You do understand they can make it look far worse to keep the 60FPS right?  God I can't wait for the comparison videos in about a year...

Excuses. Why arent killzone and drive club 60 fps? 1st party, plenty of dev time.

1/  The devs only had access to 4gb of ram for those games

2/ The effects won't be baked in, they'll be running real time.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

kowenicki said:

Excuses. Why arent killzone and drive club 60 fps? 1st party, plenty of dev time.

1/  The devs only had access to 4gb of ram for those games

2/ The effects won't be baked in, they'll be running real time.

Kowen is just confusing design choices with hardware power lol.

Xbox has an arm subsystem for handling the os overlays and other functions, as well as some custom video compression and audio processing silicon.