By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Simplified explanation of how the PS4 is twice as strong graphically as the Xbox One

I'm not a graphics person but why isn't killzone, knack, driveclub and second son running at 60fps???

I know the ps4 is a very powerful machine...so I was expecting 60fps/1080p on all first party titles.

Anyone thinks the next uncharted will be 60fps??

Around the Network
FiliusDei said:
I'm not a graphics person but why isn't killzone, knack, driveclub and second son running at 60fps???

I know the ps4 is a very powerful machine...so I was expecting 60fps/1080p on all first party titles.

Anyone thinks the next uncharted will be 60fps??

I am just gonna clarify what the dev, and than I said about 60FPS.  We were talking about third party games.  Third parties have to make their games for all systems while trying to use all of their resources so they can stay competitive on both consoles (For instance Bayonetta was handled poorly on 360, so they lost out on sales because other PS3 games ran more smoothly).

An easiest (And laziest) way for them to do this, would be to simply make the game on PS4 at 60 FPS, and then port it to One and try to keep it above 30 FPS.

However devs can take advantage of hardware in any fashion they want.  Just make no doubt: they will take advantage of the considerable power advantage since it is even easier to program for, and to port between them.

kowenicki said:
Captain_Tom said:
kowenicki said:
Captain_Tom said:
kowenicki said:
So we will see far more 60fps games on the PS4 than on the One?

when?

Drive club and Forza disagree. KIllzone is saying nothing.

Someone here laughed his ass off and told me that it would be pathetic if driving games arent 60fps in the next gen... he was a PS4 fan responding to the Forza confirmation of 60fps you see....

alas drive club has let him down already.

That's what  dev said, and so that is where I got it from.  You do understand they can make it look far worse to keep the 60FPS right?  God I can't wait for the comparison videos in about a year...

Excuses. Why arent killzone and drive club 60 fps? 1st party, plenty of dev time.

Excuses?  No they are all facts.  A dev said that.  The PS4 is that much stronger.  A game can be made to look worse to keep 60 FPS. 

The PS2 did 60 FPS with MGS2.  Does that make it stronger than the 360?

are you saying forza looks worse than drive club?

Where did I say that?  I am not bringing games into this.  I am saying that without a doubt the PS4 is around twice as strong.  Enjoy Forza!

McDonaldsGuy said:

Driveclub and Forza are both launch title games, so they don't even tap into 10% of the power of next gen consoles.

Wait at least 2 years before legit comparisons.

10%? It's PC-based architecture, so it's not as hard to tap into as much power as possible at the start. Not maxed out at the start obviously, but 10%, that's too low. 

Who cares about FPS anyway! As long as the game is good!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

I always buy all consoles so I'm not a fanboy of any of them. It's just weird that MS could achieve 60fps on forza on a consoles that is supposed to be 50% less powerful and sony's developers are having trouble keeping them close to 30fps (except Second son which run smooth) Does anyone know why this is happening?

I'm not asking in a rude way and do not want ps fans to get angry.

I always find these kinds of threads/articles/blogs amusing

If something is so obviously true, then it doesn't need to be explained to people. They will just look at the games on both systems, and see "wow....those games look twice as good!"

I haven't seen it yet.
And until I do......so what? Numbers are just numbers until you make them mean something. So until we see games that show the PS4's undeniable graphic superiority, why should I care? Why should anyone?

Graphically, Witcher 3 is the best looking next gen game I've seen so far, and the devs have confirmed complete graphic equality between PC, PS4, and X1. And it looks DAMN SEXY. So if you ask me, both console are nicely capable, and that's all that matters.

kowenicki said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
kowenicki said:
So we will see far more 60fps games on the PS4 than on the One?

when?

Drive club and Forza disagree. KIllzone is saying nothing.

Someone here laughed his ass off and told me that it would be pathetic if driving games arent 60fps in the next gen... he was a PS4 fan responding to the Forza confirmation of 60fps you see....

alas drive club has let him down already.

Driveclub and Forza are both launch title games, so they don't even tap into 10% of the power of next gen consoles.

Wait at least 2 years before legit comparisons.

...and yet one is 60fps and one is 30fps.

ah well.

Yet one uses prebaked lighting and the other uses dynamic lighting with the track changing appearance dynamically during a race. Also Evolution have said they are aiming for 60fps. (I cincerely hope they hit that target). I think Forza looks amazing but technically isn't doing much, hiding that fact with birds, helicopters and HDR out the wazoo. DriveClub could end up looking like a true next gen game, with it's visual dynamism making up for the fact it isn't as picture postcard pretty.

Angelus said:
I always find these kinds of threads/articles/blogs amusing

If something is so obviously true, then it doesn't need to be explained to people. They will just look at the games on both systems, and see "wow....those games look twice as good!"

I haven't seen it yet.
And until I do......so what? Numbers are just numbers until you make them mean something. So until we see games that show the PS4's undeniable graphic superiority, why should I care? Why should anyone?

Graphically, Witcher 3 is the best looking next gen game I've seen so far, and the devs have confirmed complete graphic equality between PC, PS4, and X1. And it looks DAMN SEXY. So if you ask me, both console are nicely capable, and that's all that matters.

You find it amusing that people on a gaming forum have an interest in technology in gaming consoles? Err okay...

Captain_tom is known to make threads about PC and tech stuff...so its only natural that he will make a thread like this. Theres nothing wrong with it and nothing amusing about it either.

And yes the power difference is there and its obvious. No tech person in their right mind will say otherwise. I think the reason why he made this thread was to clear this up as there are still people on the site arguing over specs when their really isnt any reason to do so.

That being said...while a ~50% performance increase is truly significant its no where close to being the difference between a generation where you will see 5 - 10 times the gap in theoretical power. And since we still have a few people who cant see the difference between PS3 - PS4 or 360 and Xbone then imagine how hard it will be for those people to spot the difference between a much lesser gap.

So whats the point you say....all that extra power and no advantage....Xbone games look as good as PS4 games or even better!

Well this power will come in handy in a few scenarios:

1. Third party games will run better on PS4. Whether its smoother 30 FPS or 60FPS instead of 30,  higher resolution, increased texture assets, added effects, less popin, higher frame rating (people speak a shit load about fps but not about the more important frame rating), better AI, more complex systems etc. This will happen in most third party games especially AAA titles. Digital Foundry will get boring with the comparisons and the same verdict.

2. First party studios who take the time and have the expertise to draw as much power out of the console as possible will be the biggest differentiator. Similar to how many people see Uncharted 2 as the defining moment in this gen where the PS3 actually showed something that didnt seem easily achievable on the 360. That situation will come much quicker this gen and the difference will be bigger technically.

And about the Witcher 3...this game will look great on all platforms sure. But knowing the developers....it will be mindblowing on high end PC's These guys are known to push PC's. Hell some PC's still chug in the face of uber sampling.

Now whether or not everybody will be able to easily appreciate and perceive the superiority of the PS4 is entirely another discussion. And a lot of that will be up to the developers. But the point of this thread is quite simply to outline the raw performance difference which some people still seem to argue over :/

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|