By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is dual audio in JRPGs important for you?

How important is dual audio in JRPGs for u?

Very important cant play ... 30 25.64%

I would like to have that... 53 45.30%

Not important at all I on... 34 29.06%

Total:117

I prefer it to have Japanese audio with English subs, if not i prefer American English dub over British dub any day.

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:
I don't understand a word of japanese, so I find strangely unconfortable hearing stuff that I don't understand, even if there are subtitles. Also, if there is a humorous scene or something, I'll probably find it funny in English, but not in Japanese. Not sure if that makes sense.

And to be honest, I believe the reason so many people can't stand english dub, regardless of quality, but LOVE japanese dubs is exactly because they don't understand a single word, so it sounds "perfect". Not sure if that makes sense either.

For movies, I only watch them subtitled, but it's a different case. If I watch it dubbed, pretty much half of the performance of the actor is gone. Games are dubbed regardless of the version, so there's really not that much of a difference. The english dub has to be ATROCIOUS for me to care.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

I'd prefer the voice acting to be in English, but if not, then as long as the text is translated that's fine with me. I don't care about dual audio because the games that do have it, I'll play the game in English regardless.

English audio only is at this point a deal breaker for me. Japanese audio is vastly superior for whatever reason. It might just be me, but when an English actress does voice acting for a young girl, it sounds like a 20 year old woman doing a fake sounding child's voice. In Japanese it sounds to me as if it's an actual child. Anyone who's played Eternal Sonata will probably know what I'm talking about.

They are also amazing at the little details, like gasping. American voice actors unortunately sound fake some times or forced.

naruball said:
English audio only is at this point a deal breaker for me. Japanese audio is vastly superior for whatever reason. It might just be me, but when an English actress does voice acting for a young girl, it sounds like a 20 year old woman doing a fake sounding child's voice. In Japanese it sounds to me as if it's an actual child. Anyone who's played Eternal Sonata will probably know what I'm talking about.

They are also amazing at the little details, like gasping. American voice actors unortunately sound fake some times or forced.

Very nicely said but u know what the prob is? people who don't watch anime for years in Japanese don't have idea how superior the voice acting of Japanese voice actors is, not only because they bring out emotion in every scene 10 times more than the English actors but because voice acting in Japan is serious business there is some unbelievable talented people that can play any role u can think off & the voice makes sense everytime sound natural for example small kids, or old people or weird/alien/monster characters whatever the case Japanese make it 10 times better also there is countless cases in anime were female voice actors play male roles & no1 understand that unless u check the name, for example did any1 figure out by himself that the Seiyu behind Naruto, Toshirou from Bleach & both brothers in Fullmetal Alchemist Alphonse & Edward Elric all these characters r voiced by female voice actress? impossible to tell w/o check the name, I'm talking for that kind of talent something English voice actors can't even grasp they r in a completely different level it's like Pro-League vs Amateur-League.

Around the Network
Xen said:
artur-fernand said:
I don't understand a word of japanese, so I find strangely unconfortable hearing stuff that I don't understand, even if there are subtitles. Also, if there is a humorous scene or something, I'll probably find it funny in English, but not in Japanese. Not sure if that makes sense.

And to be honest, I believe the reason so many people can't stand english dub, regardless of quality, but LOVE japanese dubs is exactly because they don't understand a single word, so it sounds "perfect". Not sure if that makes sense either.

For movies, I only watch them subtitled, but it's a different case. If I watch it dubbed, pretty much half of the performance of the actor is gone. Games are dubbed regardless of the version, so there's really not that much of a difference. The english dub has to be ATROCIOUS for me to care.

It's been refuted so many times that the statement has very little merit (even if that's the reason why some people prefer it).

I don't anyone has said that all Japanese voice acting is perfect or better (it's not always the case), but the odds of bad voice acting are far less because of the greater pool of talent for voice acting.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

rpgmaniac said:
naruball said:

Very nicely said but u know what the prob is? people who don't watch anime for years in Japanese don't have idea how superior the voice acting of Japanese voice actors is, not only because they bring out emotion in every scene 10 times more than the English actors but because voice acting in Japan is serious business there is some unbelievable talented people that can play any role u can think off & the voice makes sense everytime sound natural for example small kids, or old people or weird/alien/monster characters whatever the case Japanese make it 10 times better also there is countless cases in anime were female voice actors play male roles & no1 understand that unless u check the name, for example did any1 figure out by himself that the Seiyu behind Naruto, Toshirou from Bleach & both brothers in Fullmetal Alchemist Alphonse & Edward Elric all these characters r voiced by female voice actress? impossible to tell w/o check the name, I'm talking for that kind of talent something English voice actors can't even grasp they r in a completely different level it's like Pro-League vs Amateur-League.

Yeah, I remember reading that online about Naruto and I was truly surprised.

outlawauron said:
Xen said:
artur-fernand said:

It's been refuted so many times that the statement has very little merit (even if that's the reason why some people prefer it).

I don't anyone has said that all Japanese voice acting is perfect or better (it's not always the case), but the odds of bad voice acting are far less because of the greater pool of talent for voice acting.

I judge by some stuff I read on the on the net, myself, and my girlfriend (who absolutely hates English VA and loves JP VA). Some people are just like that, understand or not, they prefer JP VA since they don't see the flaws in it, given that they hear it much more rarily.

While listening to it just a little, it sounded all very new to me, mundane or good VA work, I didn't really notice, but once I started listening to it more, I got disenchanted with it - a lot of JP VA is very similar between various animes, even with different people doing them, I think.