By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Donkey Kong Country vs Super Mario Bros vs Rayman vs Sonic

Mario Won 90 votes, DKC 2nd 70 votes, Sonic 30 votes, Rayman 20 votes

I rounded them off since someone cheated 4 13.33%

All great platformers :) 9 30.00%

Also a shout out for the ... 1 3.33%

Battle Block Theater 1 3.33%

Super meat boy 1 3.33%

Limbo 2 6.67%

Little Big Planet 12 40.00%

Total:30
JayWood2010 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
JayWood2010 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

However, if the levels are built around this floatyness (which they are, as who builds a level without taking the player character into consideration lol) then it shouldn't be an issue. It seems to me like you're knocking LBP just because it plays differently. This is edvident by how you're posting a video of Rayman instead of an instance of LBP's floatyness being problematic. I don't think it's fair to say LBP isn't as good for not controlling the same as your prefered platformer. It'd be like me saying Sonic is better than Mario because it's more fast paced. That may be why I like Sonic better, but that doesn't make him better overall.

You are right that it is built around the floaty nature of the game.  I think LBP2 was a huge improvement over the first with the added gun they had in the game ( It has been a long time since i have played the game) and the bounce pads.  Im not trying to knock on the game.  I use to have it in my top 10 favorite games of the generation.  It just isnt built around on percision and a lot of people has said things about it's floaty physics.  If it wants to be considered as one of the best platformers then i think it needs to improve.  On the plus side though it created a whole new genre in "Play, Create, Share".  So in a way it already represents a different genre and is in the top of it's class.

I haven't read the posts beyond this one but I'll just jump in and say that Little Big Planet is broken and you know it.  I have LBP 1 and 2 and a ton of DLC.  Haven't made my own levels but I've played many of the user created ones.  Yeah, they toss in stuff like jetpacks and paint guns but the foundation is broken and there is nothing that can fix that.  How many times have you gotten stuck and had to commit suicide?  There's a SUICIDE BUTTON!  How many times did your jump depend on luck instead of skill because you timed everything perfectly and things still didn't work out?  How many times did your character glitch and wind up someplace nobody ever intended them to be?  As a toy, LBP is awesome.  As a platformer, it is barely capable.  Even 2nd tier platformers like Tomba! and Klonoa do platforming better.

Hope that helps you.

Around the Network

Mario > Sonic > DKC > Rayman.

They are all awesome though.

I LOVE ICELAND!

MTZehvor said:
Michael-5 said:

Metroid

and Metal Warrior.

I wouldn't put Metroid in the same category as Mario or DKC. It involves platforming, yes...but that's nowhere near the main component of the game.

This is more a contest of linear 2D platformers.

Why can't we count non-linear platformers?

---

Metal Warrior and Mega Man X are pretty linear. Just because there is shooting, are they any less of a platformer?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
MTZehvor said:
Michael-5 said:

Metroid

and Metal Warrior.

I wouldn't put Metroid in the same category as Mario or DKC. It involves platforming, yes...but that's nowhere near the main component of the game.

---

Metal Warrior and Mega Man X are pretty linear. Just because there is shooting, are they any less of a platformer?

Any less of a platformer? No...it's simply that Super Metroid focuses on far more than just platforming. This is essentially a contest about strictly linear 2D platformers. It's not saying that Super Metroid is somehow bad for it, it's just that it's not included in this competition.

Haven't played Metal Warrior, so I can't comment there. Megaman's a bit tougher, but, then again, I would argue that running and gunning is just as much, if not more, of a focus than the platforming...but that could go either way.

Donkey Kong Country for me.

It's my favorite all time franchise tied with MGS.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Michael-5 said:
MTZehvor said:
Michael-5 said:

Metroid

and Metal Warrior.

---

Any less of a platformer? No...it's simply that Super Metroid focuses on far more than just platforming. This is essentially a contest about strictly linear 2D platformers. It's not saying that Super Metroid is somehow bad for it, it's just that it's not included in this competition.

Haven't played Metal Warrior, so I can't comment there. Megaman's a bit tougher, but, then again, I would argue that running and gunning is just as much, if not more, of a focus than the platforming...but that could go either way.

Well, Mega Man, Metal Warriors, and most shooter platformers are niche anyway, it's not like thet would have won.

Metal Warrior is like Mega Man, but Mechs. Really good, one of the most expensive SNES games around.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results