By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Donkey Kong Country vs Super Mario Bros vs Rayman vs Sonic

Mario Won 90 votes, DKC 2nd 70 votes, Sonic 30 votes, Rayman 20 votes

I rounded them off since someone cheated 4 13.33%

All great platformers :) 9 30.00%

Also a shout out for the ... 1 3.33%

Battle Block Theater 1 3.33%

Super meat boy 1 3.33%

Limbo 2 6.67%

Little Big Planet 12 40.00%

Total:30

DKC, SMB...a very big gap...Sonic, then Rayman.

Every single one of the Donkey Kong Country titles have been incredible, and SMB has gone downhill in a hurry since the beginning of the NSMB sub-series...DKC's the only one that remains untainted for me.

Around the Network
attaboy said:
There are some games like Super Meat Boy, Splosion Man, and Mark of the Ninja that are right up there with the industry's best. You get a feeling of zen when you play them.

Ill agree with that.  Id have to put Battle Block Theater up there as well.

I've played a lot of indie 2D platformers, and I've come to the conclusion that compared to DKC and even Rayman, they have really strange difficulty curves. :/

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Michael-5 said:

Metroid

and Metal Warrior.

I wouldn't put Metroid in the same category as Mario or DKC. It involves platforming, yes...but that's nowhere near the main component of the game.

This is more a contest of linear 2D platformers.

Actually, scratch what I said earlier. In terms of 2D platformers, LittleBigPlanet is king!

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Actually, scratch what I said earlier. In terms of 2D platformers, LittleBigPlanet is king!

LBP2 was really good but it is still way too floaty for me to consider it one of the best.

JayWood2010 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

LBP2 was really good but it is still way too floaty for me to consider it one of the best.

Why is being floaty an issue? Surely that doesn't outweigh the game's infinite replay value, which other platformers haven't even come close to. 

Mario > Kong > Sonic >>> Rayman

Einsam_Delphin said:
JayWood2010 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Why is being floaty an issue? Surely that doesn't outweigh the game's infinite replay value, which other platformers haven't even come close to. 

I already stated in a previous post Battle Block Theater (Which you can also create levels).  

The platforming on LBP has been average for the most part with the main draw being the charm and user created levels in the game.  Unfortunately you only have a hand full of people who are good at creating good levels, and for the most part people dont go beyond the story.

As I said, LBP is good but when it comes to the actual platforming parts of the game there is plenty of games that are better as plenty of people has already mentioned.  

JayWood2010 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
JayWood2010 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I already stated in a previous post Battle Block Theater (Which you can also create levels).  

The platforming on LBP has been average for the most part with the main draw being the charm and user created levels in the game.  Unfortunately you only have a hand full of people who are good at creating good levels, and for the most part people dont go beyond the story.

As I said, LBP is good but when it comes to the actual platforming parts of the game there is plenty of games that are better as plenty of people has already mentioned.  

You didn't answer my question, and instead you're making me ask more questions lol. How is the platforming in LBP average and how are other platformers better? Is it not the levels themselves that make a platformer a platformer? Also there are tons of great levels out there of all varietys, you just have to find them.