By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is this the reason why kinect is mandatory ?

so once again either you think the offer is worth it and you pay for it or you don't like and don't pay for it or don't buy it.... nobody is forcing anybody to buy in MS plans...

Around the Network

oh and not saying I like the ad in the bottom right corner or defending MS for doing so.... I'm just saying it didn't bother me so far I guess I have lower standards than some people.... it might be also that I have been an advertising and communication major in 2 different countries when I was a student and have been a marketing manager by trade until recently.... so it would be like being a stem cell researcher and be against stem cells research

sales2099 said:
God forbid you will actually use it for the convienence.

Voice search marketplace, skype with ppl, headset free voice commands in gaming.

I mean cmon, some gamers mindsets...... Like a bunch of seniors that refuse to embrace modern conveniences.

Make infringing on privacy so convinient that the 'plebs' won't mind.. thats exactly how you make these things work.

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

endimion said:
now on your other hardware I don't see what's different so far you apparently can be offline, can turn off Kinect services and they haven't openly said they will use it to flood you with advertising.... that's just people assuming those things in regard of current news and other non sense.... I don't buy it a second

and if it's like that why do you trust your other companies ??? if MS can collect data against your will why do you think other companies don't or don't plan on doing so with your phone, your ISP TV provider etc ??? well TV/ISPs already do anyway... they don't send ads but they make a shit load selling those info so companies can tailor better ads and program ad tunnels more suited to the audience and would be the first one to do it if it was technically feasible and wouldn't endanger the partnerships they have with networks.... heck even your phone provider sells your number and information if you didn't opt in and paid for them not to do so.... that's how you get marketing calls from third parties...

and if Kinect can scan a coke product on my coffee table and generate ads in consequence then damn that Kinect will be awesome.... crazy infinite power of the cloud isn't it.... have you seen titanfall :D jk
btw putting a coca cola ad if you already buy the product is pretty stupid actually .... but bottom line the real question is, will we have ads and if we do I personally prefer to have them tailored to my taste than randomized....

but I don't buy a second that we will have anything more intrusive than what we already have and it really never bothered me.... when I start my console I either play the game in the disc drive which is the default tile you have selected or say "Xbox my pins" to get in my favorite apps menu and chose the app I want... I couldn't even tell you what has been in that bottom right corner for the past couple months.... heck I even miss great deals displayed in big in the main tile about discounts they do on games...

so yeah I think a lot of "ink" has been wasted over nothing really.... and I really don't care to pay for XBL and have a tiny ad in the bottom right corner... I never paid for XBL in the hopes of never having ads on the dashboard.... I pay to get a premium experience through good MP, access to great deals and rewards some services and app I like and other things....

That's what the discussion is about though, the possibility of ads based on Kinect watching you. If they don't do it, no one really has anything to complain about but with quotes saying how some recently features were built with advertising in mind is not putting people's minds at ease.

In my own case, I know companies are collecting my data, I have to register with certain companies and all that to get their free or paid for services. Some people are concerned about invasion of privacy at it's core, which is a spy camera in your living room. The idea of user specific targeted marketing, like you get from google while browsing the internet, in this form on Xbox is what people don't like.

Actually, putting Coca-cola ads when you already buy the product is a known selling point, keeping it in your mind. So, if you haven't got a coke on your table, suddenly you want one.

I do personally not believe that MS would be stupid enough to invade their users homes, spy on them for advertising purposes. I am generall against the idea of having paid for items and services being also filled with ads, no matter how small.... but dude, have you seen titanfall?

Hmm, pie.

lol actually I haven't seen anything titanfall related beside the E3 trailer and the interview Nsanity posted here....:D

but apparently I need to catch up on that huhu...

well yeah see me I don't really care if it is not hindering on my usual way of using the product.... and I'm not concerned with them using that data to do targeted ads in line with my taste.... like I said before I'd rather have a trailer of a movie corresponding to my taste than a random tampax ad....

I'll be pissed like anyone else if it becomes invasive and changes my habits by forcing me to watch stuff when I want to do something else.... as long as it stays in that corner that I have learned to avoid I'm fine.... and if it's tailored to my habits I might actually click on it....

but I get some people don't want any of it.... but if that is the only reason to avoid a product they like I find that a little silly... once again if things stay pretty much the same with maybe more target content that is...

Around the Network
endimion said:
well yeah see me I don't really care if it is not hindering on my usual way of using the product.... and I'm not concerned with them using that data to do targeted ads in line with my taste.... like I said before I'd rather have a trailer of a movie corresponding to my taste than a random tampax ad....

There lies the difference, I wouldn't want any ads at all on a paid for service.

Hmm, pie.

yeah I got that...
but I never had the impression that when you paid for XBL it was to have an ad free environment... you pay to have access to MP, cross game/party chat, video chat, apps etc.... not getting ads with a service unless you expressively pay for it to be ad free is usually the exception not the rule.... I pay for cable TV for channels I could get over the air yet I still get ads... only a few exception like HBO which cost way more offer that in their package.... once again unless you pay to get an ad free service specifically this is not a general rule most of the time....

You're right about one thing, its not about gaming for Microsoft its more about advertising. The issue here is that the audience they are aiming for arent gamers. For gamers its a mixed message with the Kinect mostly. They wont care one bit for a console that three hundred at the most with a kinect bundled. MS knows the Kinect two wont sell to the casuals without the Xbox dropping in price, so they wont let their investment go to waste. By the time the Xbox gets older no one will care about the Kinect ....unless MS proves it can stand the test of time.

sales2099 said:

Voice search marketplace, skype with ppl, headset free voice commands in gaming.

I mean cmon, some gamers mindsets...... Like a bunch of seniors that refuse to embrace modern conveniences.

I can tell you that I work for a certain big company right now, and I had a meeting with a guy in our marketing department.  He told me how we are working with the Xbox: One to put targeted ads everywhere.  This really isn't a joke!

The funny thing is he looked excited and I was just thinking "Great...."

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

I can tell you that I work for a certain big company right now, and I had a meeting with a guy in our marketing department.  He told me how we are working with the Xbox: One to put targeted ads everywhere.  This really isn't a joke!

The funny thing is he looked excited and I was just thinking "Great...."

LOL Yeah, MS isn't letting this go especially in America, but marketing wont save a $500 price point with casuals. Good luck with the marketing though.