By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is this the reason why kinect is mandatory ?

I explained to you the point I was making. And that sword goes both ways. If there were no words with my pic then there was no reason for you to get so defensive about it :) toodles

Around the Network

I don't even know why we keep arguing... people that are scared by Kinect won't change their mind and will not buy the console.... and well the other will just be buying it because they like what they get...

pretty simple actually :D

landguy1 said:
NinjaHanzo said:
endimion said:
@NinjaHanzo

MS is not my favorite company it is only the company providing me with the most convenient experience for my personal needs and tastes at a price I'm willing to pay..... Sony on the other hand is on my all time black list since the late 90s on principles and because I always found a better quality/price ratio and convenience with other manufacturer but that's an other debate....

Yeah, you almost convince me.

Until i read again this awesome sentence:

I love Kinect.... probably the best natural filter MS could have found.... all the narrow minded and conspiracy theorist will be purged from the XBL user base....

Then i just remember you're just a fanboy giving some hilarious and lame excuses.

So ok, whatever... enjoy your "innovation" (LOL)

What makes people think that every person that would buy a XBone is seeking to utilize the Kinect sensor all the time?  Just like the PSeye, the Kinect is adding capabilities, NOT requirements.  If you don't want to use the sensor then ignore it. 

I wish i could ignore it.
The problem is if i want to get a Xbox One, i have to pay for a Kinect which i don't want.

Dude... get the point... the problem here is not Kinect, the problem here is MANDATORY Kinect.

sales2099 said:
NinjaHanzo said:
sales2099 said:
God forbid you will actually use it for the convienence.

Voice search marketplace, skype with ppl, headset free voice commands in gaming.

I mean cmon, some gamers mindsets...... Like a bunch of seniors that refuse to embrace modern conveniences.

Skype with ppl: What i have been doing centuries with a normal mic or webcam.

Headset free voice commands in gaming: Who dosn't prefer a nice quality headset?

Wow, such a revolution!!! Total innovation which is totally deserved of 100$!! /sarcasm

Pleasing the gamers whom are dead afraid of change.

If the change is like the actual Kinect, yeah... you're totally right, I'm so afraid of changes like that.

So well, i will go with the one who wants to please me. (And with better hardware and even cheaper)

endimion said:
people that are scared by Kinect won't change

I'm not scared of Kinect.

I just simply think Kinect sucks so bad for games.

And i don't want to pay 10000-15000 Yens extra for a crappy periferal which i don't want (Crappy in my opinion)

I don't know how many sales Microsoft will lose with the mandatory Kinect, but i can tell you mine is one of them.

This is very simple:

- Kinect optional: My approval (I like to have options)

- Kinect mandatory: NO (You can eat it yourself, Microsoft)

Specially when they also want to use it for advertising.

You like it? Good for you, enjoy your Xbox One.

Around the Network

agreed and I am fine with that and MS too apparently....

endimion said:
I don't even know why we keep arguing... people that are scared by Kinect won't change their mind and will not buy the console.... and well the other will just be buying it because they like what they get...

pretty simple actually :D

I've been reading this thread since I posted a small comment in it and all I'm getting from it is the same arguement which is what are the true benefits of Kinect. You are right about the 2 scenarios above but you've worded it wrong. People are not scared of Kinect orchange, they don't understand why it's being forced on them at a higher price and cost. You can't be forced to buy it and you can't be forced to use it either. Example in my life is smart phones, I still have a traditional mobile, it had number on it, plays music and connects to wifi but isn't a smart phone, while I know the suggested advantages I don't want one. I look at my friends spending huge amounts of money on them and being 'slaves' to them as well (you sit in a group watching a football game and you are the only one watching the game). 'scared' and 'won't change' should be replaced by 'traditional'.

This said that's not what the thread is about. The thread was about advertising and I cannot stand by and watch people defend the idea of advertising using a device in this way. People use Google as an arguement ("You don't mind it when..." blah blah) but with the case of Google we are not paying for it. With Kindle you have 2 versions of everything, one with adverts the other without, the one without is just £10 more. It cost money to be advert free. However in the case of MS and Kinect it seems they will be charging you more and then charging you to play online for the privilege of you getting bombarded with adverts.

Someone recently told me that the 360 has adverts on it's dashboard. I could not fathom why. You've paid for the console, you've paid for Gold, why are you being advertised too as well. BBC has no adverts, we've paid already, HBO has no adverts (right? I'm UK based, don't know). Deviant Art has a subscription service where if you pay, guess what, no adverts.

MS is going in the opposite direct.

Hmm, pie.

when I said scared I was talking about NSA scared lol

well yeah your phone example is great, but you don't go out and ask Samsung to remove the camera from the phone or whatnot.... you just buy an other product that suites your need.... here it's the same if you don't like the new Kinect (even if you are a current customer) just go buy something else... I don't see the big deal here....

I use to be a sega Nintendo guy back in the day (well and neo geo and other stuf but you'll get the point) I wasn't big on the N64 and gamecube but I was a huge dreamcast enthusiast.... then sony came in and steamrolled sega I didn't like it and completely stoped console gaming at that point, never got a single PS in my whole life and I'm not making a big deal out of it or asking them to change all the things I didn't and don't like about that product....
they have their own plan either I like it and buy into it or I don't and go somewhere else or nowhere at all.... I do that with pretty much anything I buy.... I really don't see what's different here.... they have a plan and it's like that people don't have to agree with it and can go see somewhere else, it's not like you have a lifetime contract with MS

and advertising on XB dashboard is a ridiculously small tile in the bottom right corner which is the less natural spot people look at.... actually way less invasive than anything you see usually like on that very website FB or google.... I know I know there are free to use.... but just saying it's not like they have pop ups or banners all over... take hulu+ if you prefer

now personally I don't believe a second we will have anything worst with XB1 and Kinect 2 this gen.... the dashboard looks like it is pretty sober IMO and beside a recommendation menu in the video menu or music menu which I actually like I haven't seen anything that tells me it will be otherwise and I don't believe it will....
the only thing I can see them using it for and it's a big maybe is in free content like F2P where they could use an ad suported format and use data collected to target ads.... but that's pretty common on any support....

endimion said:
when I said scared I was talking about NSA scared lol

well yeah your phone example is great, but you don't go out and ask Samsung to remove the camera from the phone or whatnot.... you just buy an other product that suites your need.... here it's the same if you don't like the new Kinect (even if you are a current customer) just go buy something else... I don't see the big deal here....

I use to be a sega Nintendo guy back in the day (well and neo geo and other stuf but you'll get the point) I wasn't big on the N64 and gamecube but I was a huge dreamcast enthusiast.... then sony came in and steamrolled sega I didn't like it and completely stoped console gaming at that point, never got a single PS in my whole life and I'm not making a big deal out of it or asking them to change all the things I didn't and don't like about that product....
they have their own plan either I like it and buy into it or I don't and go somewhere else or nowhere at all.... I do that with pretty much anything I buy.... I really don't see what's different here.... they have a plan and it's like that people don't have to agree with it and can go see somewhere else, it's not like you have a lifetime contract with MS

and advertising on XB dashboard is a ridiculously small tile in the bottom right corner which is the less natural spot people look at.... actually way less invasive than anything you see usually like on that very website FB or google.... I know I know there are free to use.... but just saying it's not like they have pop ups or banners all over... take hulu+ if you prefer

now personally I don't believe a second we will have anything worst with XB1 and Kinect 2 this gen.... the dashboard looks like it is pretty sober IMO and beside a recommendation menu in the video menu or music menu which I actually like I haven't seen anything that tells me it will be otherwise and I don't believe it will....
the only thing I can see them using it for and it's a big maybe is in free content like F2P where they could use an ad suported format and use data collected to target ads.... but that's pretty common on any support....

No, I don't ask Samsung to remove the camera, however it's not on. My phones camera comes on when I want it to be on. My Wifi is on when I want it to be on. I do however pay for use of the phone service through my credit. I don't get adverts sent directly to my phone mind you by O2. Another example, I pay Virgin for my internet and TV packages, they don't however log what I'm watching and because of it send adverts to my computer.

I don't mind Microsoft's plan for Kinect, they can include it if they want, they can include always on feature, voice commands and all that stuff when it comes to the console features and games. It's the advertising idea that I'm against. Will the camera recognise a Coca-cola bottle on your coffee table and start placing Coco-cola adverts on your dashboard?

My email on my computer has a small popup everytime I get an email, my eye is automatically attracted to the movement on the screen and read the first line of it. They know how this 'small' thing can be used and they are using it well. But I'm beyond my comprehension how they can get away with it. You are bloody paying for XBLive and they still advertise to you? Seriously.

And don't use Facebook or Google as examples, I don't pay for them. Advertising is their revenue. MS revenue isn't advertising, it's the sales of consoles, games and XBLive. Sorry, can't comment on Hulu+, no idea what it even is (like Netflix?)

Hmm, pie.

yeah pretty much but they do next day broadcast of content at a premium (it has a free option) and they do put commercial on it even if you pay....

now on your other hardware I don't see what's different so far you apparently can be offline, can turn off Kinect services and they haven't openly said they will use it to flood you with advertising.... that's just people assuming those things in regard of current news and other non sense.... I don't buy it a second

and if it's like that why do you trust your other companies ??? if MS can collect data against your will why do you think other companies don't or don't plan on doing so with your phone, your ISP TV provider etc ??? well TV/ISPs already do anyway... they don't send ads but they make a shit load selling those info so companies can tailor better ads and program ad tunnels more suited to the audience and would be the first one to do it if it was technically feasible and wouldn't endanger the partnerships they have with networks.... heck even your phone provider sells your number and information if you didn't opt in and paid for them not to do so.... that's how you get marketing calls from third parties...

and if Kinect can scan a coke product on my coffee table and generate ads in consequence then damn that Kinect will be awesome.... crazy infinite power of the cloud isn't it.... have you seen titanfall :D jk
btw putting a coca cola ad if you already buy the product is pretty stupid actually .... but bottom line the real question is, will we have ads and if we do I personally prefer to have them tailored to my taste than randomized....

but I don't buy a second that we will have anything more intrusive than what we already have and it really never bothered me.... when I start my console I either play the game in the disc drive which is the default tile you have selected or say "Xbox my pins" to get in my favorite apps menu and chose the app I want... I couldn't even tell you what has been in that bottom right corner for the past couple months.... heck I even miss great deals displayed in big in the main tile about discounts they do on games...

so yeah I think a lot of "ink" has been wasted over nothing really.... and I really don't care to pay for XBL and have a tiny ad in the bottom right corner... I never paid for XBL in the hopes of never having ads on the dashboard.... I pay to get a premium experience through good MP, access to great deals and rewards some services and app I like and other things....