By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is this the reason why kinect is mandatory ?

Bajablo said:
sales2099 said:
God forbid you will actually use it for the convienence.

Voice search marketplace, skype with ppl, headset free voice commands in gaming.

I mean cmon, some gamers mindsets...... Like a bunch of seniors that refuse to embrace modern conveniences.

Make infringing on privacy so convinient that the 'plebs' won't mind.. thats exactly how you make these things work.

MS doesn't care about that......its to correct the 360 kinect mistake of having a split userbase. Now everybody will have one and thus every multiplat can have some minor kinect integration and kinect centric titles are available to everybody.

The only information Kinect will gather is what you do on X1 and therefore give you targeted ads as opposed to random ads. That's it.

Its like people are just fishing for reasons to hate on X1...

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

Voice search marketplace, skype with ppl, headset free voice commands in gaming.

I mean cmon, some gamers mindsets...... Like a bunch of seniors that refuse to embrace modern conveniences.

I can tell you that I work for a certain big company right now, and I had a meeting with a guy in our marketing department.  He told me how we are working with the Xbox: One to put targeted ads everywhere.  This really isn't a joke!

The funny thing is he looked excited and I was just thinking "Great...."

Ok, so we get targeted ads as opposed to random ads that won't even appeal to us....so what?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

well for some it already has... I use it daily if I'm not gaming.... I pretty much keep my gamepad for gaming and use Kinect for the rest.... and enjoy every minute of it.... if Kinect 2 is anything remotely close to what they have shown in tech demoes so far since reveal I'm an happy camper.... if they can use it efficiently in games I'll even be happier.... but the simple use I have for Kinect today is already enough for me to want the new one....
with that reasoning I have no need for an HD TV or a good 5.1 set up like I have yet I'm buying it and upgrading because I find it cool and useful for my use and taste.... most people don't at least for the nice 5.1 set up.... and don't upgrade that often their TVs

endimion said:
yeah I got that...
but I never had the impression that when you paid for XBL it was to have an ad free environment... you pay to have access to MP, cross game/party chat, video chat, apps etc.... not getting ads with a service unless you expressively pay for it to be ad free is usually the exception not the rule.... I pay for cable TV for channels I could get over the air yet I still get ads... only a few exception like HBO which cost way more offer that in their package.... once again unless you pay to get an ad free service specifically this is not a general rule most of the time....

But you are getting ads full stop. Why? It's a bloody gaming console. 

Hmm, pie.

why??? well that's up to MS to answer.... but I won't stop at that if it means I still get to enjoy it with little if any inconvenience.... the original dashboard had no ads (I believe it's so old lol) yet the new one has ads and it is way more convenient to use though...
I'm not justifying the ad in that little corner in any way... I'm just saying it is in no way a big enough of issue for me to stop using or buying a new Xbox... I'm not really gaining or losing anything with or without it.....

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

I can tell you that I work for a certain big company right now, and I had a meeting with a guy in our marketing department.  He told me how we are working with the Xbox: One to put targeted ads everywhere.  This really isn't a joke!

LOL Yeah, MS isn't letting this go especially in America, but marketing wont save a $500 price point with casuals. Good luck with the marketing though.

What I wanted to say was "Well that's good for us, bad for the Xbox: One."  We will benifit from the ads, but I just can't see users recommending to their friends that they also buy the more expensive console with more expensive online when you still HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ADS!

MS is beeing so short sighted here...

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

Ok, so we get targeted ads as opposed to random ads that won't even appeal to us....so what?

So there shouldn't be ads everywhere in the first place when you PAY FOR SOMETHING!!!  This is clearly a console that wants to profit not from having the happiest customers, but from getting the most out of the sheeple.  It is just wrong...

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

So there shouldn't be ads everywhere in the first place when you PAY FOR SOMETHING!!!  This is clearly a console that wants to profit not from having the happiest customers, but from getting the most out of the sheeple.  It is just wrong...

We have been getting them with 360 for a while now. Its just the way the world is moving. You buy a TV, you watch commercials. You watch a popular YT channel, you see a mandatory ad before it starts.

Your problem is not with MS, and I feel this is just people fishing for something to hate on them. This is just self-entitled BS.

You should know the real purpose is to have a unified instal base as opposed to 360 kinects. But that sounds too rational to be true right?

Not all games are going to utilize Kinect features. What have we seen so far that's "Better with Kinect"? Not much. No reason for me to plug mine in at any rate and I bought two sensors (for use with the PC).

The vast majority of third party games in particular, barring Kinect specific games, won't bother with Kinect by default. At best we might see it used for voice commands, which wasn't exactly a game changer for Mass Effect.

So why won't they bother with Kinect features? Because third party developers will be publishing the same games on other platforms that don't use Kinect. PC and of course the PS4. If they really want to leave camera based input or mic based input features in their games, then they'll just require additional hardware for said platforms.

The only real advantage of Kinect as a default input is for the UI itself, which will be engineered around it, similar to the way Win8 was engineered to work with touch screens (which was perhaps not the best call since everyone did not go out and buy touch screens and Win8 tablets).

Don't get me wrong; Kinect 2 was the key standout feature that I said would interest me in an Xbox 3 before the reveal. I still have fair expectations for it since I've seen plenty of interesting things done with Kinect on PC, but until that potential is legitimately used, then it's just an alternate UI and a creepy always on camera/mic when I'm playing something that doesn't need it. I'll probably make a little sound insulated box that covers the cam when I pick up an XB1.

disolitude said:

I work with web and TV advertising and have 10 years experience doing it. While the OP is very clever, it simply isn't how advertising can work on TV or web.

TV advertising is strictly linear. What that means is that it is pre-set ahead of time and can not be dynamically changed based on users or preferences. So they can't show you different ads based on what Kinect is able to see.

Internet IP based advertising could accomplish this technically but in order for this to work, Microsoft would need to open the Kinect API for advertising purposes, and that will release a huge shitstorm about privacy. So I don't see this happening.

Down the road(10+ years), if Kinect and Microsoft stick around with this idea though...this actually may be a reality. But it will much bigger than the OP's idea of controlling the screen. Then you will have little Kinects eveywhere and ads will follow you around on billboards and in the subway...wherever you go, they go as they are able to detect your face and recognize who you are.

Holy Crap that sounds like Minority report.  Holy Crap Crap, Minority report is what spawned the ideal for Kinect.  Holy Crap!!!!!  This means we have physics who can tell when someone will commit a crime, its all real man its all real!!!!