By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is this the reason why kinect is mandatory ?

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

Ok, so we get targeted ads as opposed to random ads that won't even appeal to us....so what?

So there shouldn't be ads everywhere in the first place when you PAY FOR SOMETHING!!!  This is clearly a console that wants to profit not from having the happiest customers, but from getting the most out of the sheeple.  It is just wrong...

We have been getting them with 360 for a while now. Its just the way the world is moving. You buy a TV, you watch commercials. You watch a popular YT channel, you see a mandatory ad before it starts.

Your problem is not with MS, and I feel this is just people fishing for something to hate on them. This is just self-entitled BS.

You should know the real purpose is to have a unified instal base as opposed to 360 kinects. But that sounds too rational to be true right?

However, you can block ads on your PC or Mac when you're on the internet via addons. You can't do that on the 360 or the Xbone. That's a huge difference. It's annoying when you virtually pay for internet twice on the 360 or Xbone and still get ads. I find Captain Tom's complaints to be reasonable. I don't why you're being so defensive.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
sales2099 said:

We have been getting them with 360 for a while now. Its just the way the world is moving. You buy a TV, you watch commercials. You watch a popular YT channel, you see a mandatory ad before it starts.

Your problem is not with MS, and I feel this is just people fishing for something to hate on them. This is just self-entitled BS.

You should know the real purpose is to have a unified instal base as opposed to 360 kinects. But that sounds too rational to be true right?

However, you can block ads on your PC or Mac when you're on the internet via addons. You can't do that on the 360 or the Xbone. That's a huge difference. It's annoying when you virtually pay for internet twice on the 360 or Xbone and still get ads. I find Captain Tom's complaints to be reasonable. I don't why you're being so defensive.

We get ads every day, whether we paid for things or not. This is hardly a viable complaint because the gaming industry is only now starting to adopt ads.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Aura7541 said:
sales2099 said:

We get ads every day, whether we paid for things or not. This is hardly a viable complaint because the gaming industry is only now starting to adopt ads.

But we have the choice on our PC's and Mac's because we have access to addons that block ads, which alleviate much of the annoyance. The problem with the 360 and the Xbone is that you're kinda paying for internet for a 2nd time and you still get ads.

I'm curious to see if you have sources for your argument. Do you have links to polls that confirm your arguments stated above?

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

Ok, so we get targeted ads as opposed to random ads that won't even appeal to us....so what?

So there shouldn't be ads everywhere in the first place when you PAY FOR SOMETHING!!!  This is clearly a console that wants to profit not from having the happiest customers, but from getting the most out of the sheeple.  It is just wrong...

At this point all bets are off when it comes to assuming MS will make good common sense choices.   All of those months of rumors I said: "I won't believe it until MS says it themselves."  Then with the arragance of a company that thinks it won 2 gens in a row (Instead of losing both) they said all the bad stuff.  

Also, like I said I had meetings with people who worked with kinect.  It does constantly collect a creepy amount of your data (I believe he said they will be able to tell where you eat every night) whether you like it or not, and our marketing department loves that!

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

At this point all bets are off when it comes to assuming MS will make good common sense choices.   All of those months of rumors I said: "I won't believe it until MS says it themselves."  Then with the arragance of a company that thinks it won 2 gens in a row (Instead of losing both) they said all the bad stuff.  

Also, like I said I had meetings with people who worked with kinect.  It does constantly collect a creepy amount of your data (I believe he said they will be able to tell where you eat every night) whether you like it or not, and our marketing department loves that!

Underline: So youll get pizza ads instead of chick flick ads. Tailored ads. This isn;t anything new.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

I think your full of crap...

Like i mentioned in other posts, you are talking about a MASSIVE conspiracy to hide what you are talking about from the public.  If what you are saying(Kinect spying oin you and determining not only what your eating and from where, but alos if you like it) is anywhere near correct, the bandwidth and scope would be incredibly MASSIVE.  Hundreds if not thousands of programmers putting together and then maintaining the software.  Tens of thousands of servers just to digest the info.  Tens of thousands of data farms to store it....  Among the thousands of people involved, no one comes forward to uncover this?  Not a chance!  Too many politcally correct people who would go ape shit over this.  If you think gamers are complaining now about what isn't going to happen or they think possibly could, wait til the crazies get a hold of this if it were true.  You would have protests and calls for massive boycotts.  M$ isn't stupid enough to ruin their brand for an extra couple hundred million a quarter in advertising dollars.  They make 6 billion + a quarter!!!  Ifpeople would just think through the technical aspects of this whole Kinect is watching you idea, they should be able to figure this out. 

That's why i think you full of crap.  M$ isn't going to any company promising to tell you what the consumer ate for dinner.  What a laugher!

I wonder where people got the idea that when they pay they pay to not have ads?????

that has never been true and is still not true.... that comes from apps on smartphones and media distribution that explicitly have a non ad supported format at a premium.... but it has never been a standard for a paid service unless the fee is explicitly to remove ads......

OP is ridiculous.

endimion said:
I wonder where people got the idea that when they pay they pay to not have ads?????

that has never been true and is still not true.... that comes from apps on smartphones and media distribution that explicitly have a non ad supported format at a premium.... but it has never been a standard for a paid service unless the fee is explicitly to remove ads......

I think most of the time when you pay for something you don't get ads as well. If you buy a digital copy of a TV show it doesn't have ads like the broadcast version, or if you buy a CD it doesn't have ads like the radio. If you have ads as well, you are basically having an additional charge.

I think this ad focus is very much a US thing and is pretty unappealing to the rest of the world. Here in the UK, we have 7 minutes of adverts per hour instead of the 16 minutes the US has, and far less frequent breaks. I know from experience that this makes the TV in the US pretty unwatchable for people who aren't used to it, so I hope Microsoft are aware of this.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

I think the purpose of a mandatory kinect to achieve a unified install base is a bit wishful thinking.
For 3rd party developers, the userbase is already split between XBox, Playstation and Nintendo, and I doubt it those developers are going to implement kinect specific features in their games that will improve the game experience for core gamers.

I think the vast majority of the core gamers are perfectly satisfied with a descent controller and headset.
Could someone give me a good example of a Kinect feature that really might improve game experiences with AAA titles like Titanfall, Forza and/or Halo for instance ? Because I doubt it. I think the touchpad on the PS4 controller will be utilized more by 3rd party developers because of it convience and controlling posibilites hence improving the game experience.

If there are going to be any games which are going to utilize the kinect features to  their fullest, it's going to be party games.
And there's nothing wrong with that, but that would be targeted at an entire different userbase, not the core gamers.
It would be much more consumer friendly if they would sell the device optionally, bundled with some great party / sports game, and I think they would eventually sell millions of those.
That way party gamers as well as core gamers would be perfectly happy on the same platform, but requiring another 100 dollars for a device that I don't want isn't exactly consumer friendly.