By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the Vita a good system to buy?

Cold-Flipper said:

LBP1 was probably my favorite game on the PS3 before my PS3 broke. I didn't really get to play much of LBP2 because it broke about a week after it was released. LBPV will probably be the 1st game I buy if I get one. I don't plan on getting it until later this year or Early next year, so I hope a price cut happens by then. 

Why are the memory cards so expensive anyway? Is it Sony being cheap and wanting money or is there a legit reason?

It's just profiteering really. Since Vita can only use Sony memory cards they can charge whatever they like. They did it with PS1 and PS2 as well. It proved to be quite profitable for them back then. From their prospective, why not? but for us gamers, it is just annoying.  

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Good system to buy.

Not worth the money atm imo. Wait for a WW Price cut and a reduction in price for memory cards and it'll be worth the money.

I don't plan to buy one until later this year or early next year, hopefully a price cut happens in the U.S by then. Will the memory cards eventually get cheaper? Why are they that expensive anyway?

Off topic: I never notice that it's you anymore without the yellow bird avatar. 

Michael-5 said:

I have a PS1-3 and a PSP, and I have to say that Vita does not look like a system worth buying. At least not now.

Sure you can download PSP games onto your Vita and play them, but you can also buy a PSP for less then half the price and own physical copies of the game for the same price PSN sells the games, even less in many cases.

Sure you can play PS1 games on Vita, but PS1-3 can all play PS1, do you really want to spend $200 to play a bunch of games, many you likely already beat, on the go?

---

Vita offers nothing new IMO.

As for games, the only worthwhile Vita game is Uncharted: Golden Abyss and maybe Gravity Rush.

You make really good points so I'll have to reconsider then...yet, playing these on a HH would be nice.

Cold-Flipper said:

1) I have been more interested in HH gaming in general recently because I find that they have advantages over consoles. These advantages include: they can be played anywhere (in the house too), they are quiet, don't take up the TV, can be played when power goes out, and games cost less money than console games. Plus, HH's are now capable of handling high-quality games. 

2) I have owned many systems in the past including the PS, PS2, and PS3. 2 of my family members had PSP's but I never had one. Currently, I have the Wii, XB360, DS, and 3DS. I don't play the DS at all anymore. I only play Wii or XB360 for multiplayer every once in a while when people come over. That leaves the 3DS. (My PS3 broke by the way)

3) I am really interested in playing classic PS1 games on the Vita. The 1st 3 RE games are some of my favorite and I also like Dino Crisis. I am also interested in trying out some other PS1 games that I never tried before. Other than that, I just want a HH to go with my 3DS. Portability outside of my house doesn't matter to me because I only play HH's in my house or hotel room or something. Never out.

If you are planning on purchasing digital as well as retail then I will say that yes, the Vita is worth it.  There are a lot of the best PSX games available for purchase as well as a lot of the best PSP games, although there are a lot of PSP games that you'll miss out on if you don't ever get one. 

I'm one who prefers to purchase all multiconsole titles on consoles so there are far less Vita games out there for me, but I've enjoyed Uncharted, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, Unit 13, and LBP Vita.  Ragnarok Odyssey was alright, though you might like it better if you like those town hub type games where you go back to the same dungeons repeatedly doing multiple quests. 

If you like digital games then your library increases exponentially as there are a lot of cross buy games between the PS3 and Vita or Vita exclusives.  Games like Uncharted Fight For Fortune, Guacamelee, Retro City Rampage, etc.  If you happen to have Wipeout HD/Fury on your PS3 account, then it'll be free DLC for Wipeout 2048.  

PSP games are more enjoyable on the Vita because you can set up the second analog for different uses per game.  You can also set the touch screen for different uses as well.  Using the right analog to rotate the screen on games such as the GTA titles, Monster Hunter, etc.  The Vita also upscales, so the games will look better than they do on the PSP.  You might go back to the PSP afterwards and really think they were washed out compared to how great they look on the Vita.

kupomogli said:

Thanks for the upscaling info. Does it do the same with PS1 games?

BasilZero said:

Yeah its best to wait for a price cut or at least if you are in the US for a Black Friday bundle deal.

The memory cards will eventually go down in price whether its through Sony's own doing with the current product or with a expansion of the size of the memory cards. 

They are expensive because of the reason they've proclaimed that is to combat piracy (which is a hilarious reason) but considering the fact that the memory cards are $100 for a 32 GB....it could be because of some other ulterior motive kinda like how Nintendo had the 3DS priced at $249.99 when it launched and cut the price by $80 less than a year after.

I would wait for a price cut for ANY system from now on at least a minimum of two years before purchasing them.

@Offtopic discussion - ;p - The chocobo will be back eventually!

I wait until a system has enough value for price for me to get a system now. I got the 3DS very early and was disappointed with it for the 1st 2 years. If I had waited until 2013, I would've had plenty to play, got the XL from the start, and paid less for it than I did for the original 3DS. PS Vita already looks like a decent buy but I'm hoping to see a price cut to add to the value.

Off T: I know I am not as known as you here yet but It'd be like me always having my penguin avatars and then show up with a cow...it isn't the same! (HA)

You can buy and play PS1 classics without a PS3, you just download them directly to your Vita. I wouldn't say the PS1 classics library is lacking at all, especially in the US.

Also, Persona 4: Golden is a must play. One of my favourite games of all time.

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:
kupomogli said:

Thanks for the upscaling info. Does it do the same with PS1 games?

It upscales all games, so PSP PSN games, PSX, and PSP games.

brendude13 said:
You can buy and play PS1 classics without a PS3, you just download them directly to your Vita. I wouldn't say the PS1 classics library is lacking at all, especially in the US.

Also, Persona 4: Golden is a must play. One of my favourite games of all time.

That's awesome that the PS1 line-up isn't lacking. As for Persona 4? Is a Vita exclusive? I never played the 1st 3 and have no idea what the game's about but I'll check it out if I decide to get one :)

kupomogli said:

It upscales all games, so PSP PSN games, PSX, and PSP games.

Another + for the Vita then. Thanks for the response!

Reading this I think Vita sounds great after a price drop and memory cards get sorted.

I would say just get one. The biggest misconception is that the Vita has no games worth playing and that completely false. Just because it doesn't have too many huge AAA titles doesn't mean the other games aren't worth playing! 

When I got my Vita I only like racing games and platformers, thats it. Now I'm buyin games I never would have before because the hardware itself makes me want to play games of any kind. You may say you want it mostly for PS1 and PSP games but over time you'll buy a ton of Vita games because you just want to play as many games as possible on it! I have over 20 retail games and 15 digital games for it!

Heres a list of games that you should look into:

• Persoan 4 Golden (Greatest game I've ever played in my life, worth buying a Vita for it alone!)
  • Gravity Rush
  • LittleBigPlanet Vita
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Need for Speed: Most wanted
  • Unit 13
  • PlayStation All-Stars
  • Sly Cooper: Theives in Time
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Muramasa
  • Jak Collection
  • Rayman Origins
  • Guacamelee
  • Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Sound Shapes
  • Velocity Ultra
  • Knytt Underground
  • Escape Plan
This might look a little overboard but I've played all these games I think they are all worth buying. Theres more but this list is long enough, anyways like I said before ignore the people who say otherwise (most don't even own the damn thing so who are they to judge) and just buy one, you'll enjoy it!

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

foodfather said:

Get a tablet instead.

OS is not very good. Some features are underdeveloped such as multitasking, its not as true as on android devices. Neither is the multimedia, web browser or app support.

Games are fine, but nothing noteworthy. A lot can be picked up from the bargain bucket in stores or for free on PS+.

Screen is also overrated. Its good for games, but its quite dark and not very vibrant for watching movies and such. Again, this is where a tablet would serve you better.

The other hurdle is the memory card, which will set you back at least $60.

If you truly are impressed by whatever few games the system has, then you will enjoy it. Whether its worth the money, depends on what else you do with it. 

yeah them memory cards are too expensive! get a 600$ tablet instead rofl