By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the Vita a good system to buy?

I feel it's more than worth it personally with a good variety of games considering how many games are available. Also, it plays PSP games along PS1 if you are willing to buy the memory cards. PS1 games cost no more than £8 and most PSP games retail below £15 now. Indie support is also pretty good. But i can only recommend Vita currently if you are willing to try something new and not stick to a couple franchises. But check Metacritic's list of top Vita games and see if there is anything you like.
~http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/vita?view=condensed&sort=desc

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Yes, the Vita is a very good system to buy. There are many good games on it, and many more in the future that will be worth to get the system for. There are many high quality games already out such as Persona 4 Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Atelier Totori Plus, Muramasa Rebirth, and many more. Then you have other high quality games coming out such as Killzone Merc, Ys Celceta, Toukiden, God Eater 2, Freedom Wars, Chronos Materia, Neptunia, Demon Gaze, and many more. The hardware is amazing. Playing games in your hand on the beautiful OLED screen is something else that cannot be described through words or videos. The colors are vibrant and everything is sharp. Ps1 and Psp games are amazing on the screen. Then you have 2 analog sticks which have been asked for since the introduction of the Psp in 2004. Sony is going to announce many more games at this years Gamescon and TGS so it will be a great year for the Vita. Like many have said before me, you should invest also in a Ps+ subscription, as you get many free games every month! I hope I helped you!

if it could emulate my N64 games on it, I would buy it without hesitation. but thats not the case, and the only game that interests me is Gravity Rush. I guess ill just wait till someone hacks it and makes an N64 emulator for it lol

think-man said:
What EVER you do DO NOT GET A TABLET! please....I have a tablet and a Vita and they are not even in the same league when it comes to playing games, seriously when you own both which I do! you will only be gaming on one of them and it sure as hell isn't the tablet.

Too late! I already have had an iPad for over a year now. I really like it. It's an awesome device with many features. I actually go on VGC with my iPad so without it, I wouldn't be able to come on this site. Plus, I get all my music on it, and watch youtube videos and stuff. It's actually really cool and I'm a big fan of it after I was hesitant to get one at first. 

With that said, I agree about the gaming aspect not being nearly as good as on consoles or gaming HH's like the 3DS or PS Vita. (although I have yet to use a Vita) I do play some simple games with my family members and friends on it but other than that, there isn't much to be seen gaming-wise.

the2real4mafol said:
I feel it's more than worth it personally with a good variety of games considering how many games are available. Also, it plays PSP games along PS1 if you are willing to buy the memory cards. PS1 games cost no more than £8 and most PSP games retail below £15 now. Indie support is also pretty good. But i can only recommend Vita currently if you are willing to try something new and not stick to a couple franchises. But check Metacritic's list of top Vita games and see if there is anything you like. 
~http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/vita?view=condensed&sort=desc

The only games I really recognize that I'd like from that list are LittleBigPlanet, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter but besides that I've never heard of / haven't played most of the others. I'd definitely be willing to try some cool indie stuff though! I also would likely be buying a lot of PS1 games

KingKazuma34 said:
Yes, the Vita is a very good system to buy. There are many good games on it, and many more in the future that will be worth to get the system for. There are many high quality games already out such as Persona 4 Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Atelier Totori Plus, Muramasa Rebirth, and many more. Then you have other high quality games coming out such as Killzone Merc, Ys Celceta, Toukiden, God Eater 2, Freedom Wars, Chronos Materia, Neptunia, Demon Gaze, and many more. The hardware is amazing. Playing games in your hand on the beautiful OLED screen is something else that cannot be described through words or videos. The colors are vibrant and everything is sharp. Ps1 and Psp games are amazing on the screen. Then you have 2 analog sticks which have been asked for since the introduction of the Psp in 2004. Sony is going to announce many more games at this years Gamescon and TGS so it will be a great year for the Vita. Like many have said before me, you should invest also in a Ps+ subscription, as you get many free games every month! I hope I helped you!

I haven't heard of most of the games you listed but I'm sure I'd find at least a few that I'd like from your list. Considering many people have already recommended a PS+ subscription, I'll likely subscribe once I get the Vita.

Yes, each opinion counts. Thanks for the info!

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:
the2real4mafol said:

The only games I really recognize that I'd like from that list are LittleBigPlanet, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter but besides that I've never heard of / haven't played most of the others. I'd definitely be willing to try some cool indie stuff though! I also would likely be buying a lot of PS1 games

I haven't played Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter but i can easily recommend a Vita just for Little Big Planet. There's just so much to do on there and i find it amazing that they seemingly managed to port over LBP 2 to a handheld. All the features are there, just different levels. Also, try out some demos of other games when you get Vita. I recommend Uncharted Golden abyss myself so far but i haven't played much else yet. Also, get Playstation Plus when you buy Vita, you get about 5 or 6 free vita games and alot of PS1 games are often discounted most of the time. Just be sure to get a 16 or 32 gb memory card 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I have a PS1-3 and a PSP, and I have to say that Vita does not look like a system worth buying. At least not now.

Sure you can download PSP games onto your Vita and play them, but you can also buy a PSP for less then half the price and own physical copies of the game for the same price PSN sells the games, even less in many cases.

Sure you can play PS1 games on Vita, but PS1-3 can all play PS1, do you really want to spend $200 to play a bunch of games, many you likely already beat, on the go?

---

Vita offers nothing new IMO.

As for games, the only worthwhile Vita game is Uncharted: Golden Abyss and maybe Gravity Rush.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Double Post

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

the2real4mafol said:

I haven't played Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter but i can easily recommend a Vita just for Little Big Planet. There's just so much to do on there and i find it amazing that they seemingly managed to port over LBP 2 to a handheld. All the features are there, just different levels. Also, try out some demos of other games when you get Vita. I recommend Uncharted Golden abyss myself so far but i haven't played much else yet. Also, get Playstation Plus when you buy Vita, you get about 5 or 6 free vita games and alot of PS1 games are often discounted most of the time. Just be sure to get a 16 or 32 gb memory card 

LBP1 was probably my favorite game on the PS3 before my PS3 broke. I didn't really get to play much of LBP2 because it broke about a week after it was released. LBPV will probably be the 1st game I buy if I get one. I don't plan on getting it until later this year or Early next year, so I hope a price cut happens by then. 

Why are the memory cards so expensive anyway? Is it Sony being cheap and wanting money or is there a legit reason?

Cold-Flipper said:
think-man said:
What EVER you do DO NOT GET A TABLET! please....I have a tablet and a Vita and they are not even in the same league when it comes to playing games, seriously when you own both which I do! you will only be gaming on one of them and it sure as hell isn't the tablet.

Too late! I already have had an iPad for over a year now. I really like it. It's an awesome device with many features. I actually go on VGC with my iPad so without it, I wouldn't be able to come on this site. Plus, I get all my music on it, and watch youtube videos and stuff. It's actually really cool and I'm a big fan of it after I was hesitant to get one at first. 

With that said, I agree about the gaming aspect not being nearly as good as on consoles or gaming HH's like the 3DS or PS Vita. (although I have yet to use a Vita) I do play some simple games with my family members and friends on it but other than that, there isn't much to be seen gaming-wise.

I agree its handy for things non gaming, it just doesnt compare to the vita in turns of how you play.