By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the Vita a good system to buy?

foodfather said:
foodfather said:

Get a tablet instead.

2 opposite opinions, who to trust?

For the record, I already own an iPad so if I do buy a Vita, it will mainly be for games.

Around the Network
Ajescent said:

If you are only looking to play ps1 games, then you can't go wrong with a PSP

If I do buy another HH, I figure I should go all in. The PSP is $100 while the Vita is $250. I'm hoping it gets a price cut soon because I likely won't buy one until Late 2013 or Early 2014. Anyway, does PSP really have PS1 classics you can buy straight from the PSP store? I don't recall you answering my PS1 question, can you buy a lot of them straight from the Vita store or do you need a PS3? 

Also, what's up with the PS4 / Vita connectivity? I won't have one all to myself but my family will likely buy one. Please explain how that whole thing works if you have the time. Thank you!

Cold-Flipper said:
Ajescent said:

If you are only looking to play ps1 games, then you can't go wrong with a PSP

If I do buy another HH, I figure I should go all in. The PSP is $100 while the Vita is $250. I'm hoping it gets a price cut soon because I likely won't buy one until Late 2013 or Early 2014. Anyway, does PSP really have PS1 classics you can buy straight from the PSP store? I don't recall you answering my PS1 question, can you buy a lot of them straight from the Vita store or do you need a PS3? 

Also, what's up with the PS4 / Vita connectivity? I won't have one all to myself but my family will likely buy one. Please explain how that whole thing works if you have the time. Thank you!

Good point, going all in is wiser.

As for ps4/vita the idea is whilst you are away from your ps4, all ps4 games will be playable on your Vita via remote play (as long as the game doesn't require a move controller or camera or anything else.)

If the ps3 is anything to go by, you might be able to crossplay with ps4 ppl. e.g online games like Playstation All-Stars, Foosball 2012

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

It depends a lot on how much money you're willing to spend.

The thing with the Vita is it is bleeding edge. $250 MSRP is deceptive when Sony memory cards are four times more expensive than SD cards. You can get a 3DS XL with a 64 GB SD card for less than the base Vita model.

It's a powerful system, to be sure, but you also pay dearly for that power.

Conversely, there's the PSP. The going price for used PSPs on eBay is about $50, and Gamestop offers refurbished ones for $70-90. If you try, you can load up a PSP with a good memory card and library for less than half of what you'd spend on a Vita.

Conclusion: if you've got the money or you plan on getting a PS4 and using Remote Play, help yourself to a Vita. The PSP is drastically better value, though.

Get one if you want an alternative to console gaming.

Around the Network

Well it depends.....would you buy the Playstation Eneno in 2015? (the made up name to the next gen vita)

It's a great hardware system, just not a great handheld gaming console.

It depends on what you want from the system really.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Ajescent said:

As for ps4/vita the idea is whilst you are away from your ps4, all ps4 games will be playable on your Vita via remote play (as long as the game doesn't require a move controller or camera or anything else.)

If the ps3 is anything to go by, you might be able to crossplay with ps4 ppl. e.g online games like Playstation All-Stars, Foosball 2012

So technically, the PS Vita is supposed to be able to play any PS4 game. Is that why Vita doesn't have many games releasing for it? The Vita essentially shares the PS4 library. Does it actually work? Ha...I'm just a bit skeptical. If it works though, that'd be pretty cool.

Egann said:

Conclusion: if you've got the money or you plan on getting a PS4 and using Remote Play, help yourself to a Vita. The PSP is drastically better value, though.

Yeah, I figured the Vita would be a money pit. I'm hoping it gets a price cut and the memory card gets cheaper before the end of the year. 

pokymon90 said:
Well it depends.....would you buy the Playstation Eneno in 2015? (the made up name to the next gen vita)

Is that an actual thing or is this a joke?

Cold-Flipper said:

Ajescent said:

So technically, the PS Vita is supposed to be able to play any PS4 game. Is that why Vita doesn't have many games releasing for it? The Vita essentially shares the PS4 library. Does it actually work? Ha...I'm just a bit skeptical. If it works though, that'd be pretty cool.

It does have games for it, you just have to look for them. They are not your basic overly hyped/advertised "triple A" games but there are games and lots of them.

Include ps3/4 cross overs and the Vita is taken to a whole other level.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:

It does have games for it, you just have to look for them. They are not your basic overly hyped/advertised "triple A" games but there are games and lots of them.

Include ps3/4 cross overs and the Vita is taken to a whole other level.

That's good to hear. I don't care for too many of the over-hyped series.

So I could play Resident Evil 2, The Last Of Us, and Knack all on the PS Vita lag-free with no issues?