By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U: If You'd Designed the Wii U, How Would You Make it More Appealing as a system/SKU?

Tablet one inch smaller (so cheaper and handier)
8GB RAM to be sure there won't be any multiplat it can't handle without requiring major rewrites

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Soundwave said:

Name: Wii 2, Wii Neo, or ditch Wii entirely --New Nintendo Entertainment System. Can be called New Nintendo Famicom in Asia.

Specs: 1TFLOP GPU (customized 6770 GPU) + Quad-Core IBM GPU + 4GB DDR3 RAM + 32MB eDRAM. Capable of running basically any XB1/PS4 engine, just in 720p perhaps instead of 1080p. x4 USB 3.0 slots. Maybe consider ditching the disc drive for card media (8GB/16GB/32GB), this would make the unit a lot smaller. 32GB flash RAM.

Controller - Tablet controller, but sleeker looking design, not quite as bulky.

Launch Titles - New Super Mario World ... bump the production value so it has new music and a more interesting visual style. Nintendo Land can be mostly the same, maybe runs in 1080p because of the better chipset. The Last Story ... Mistwalker RPG, would've held it off the Wii, and saved it for Wii 2 launch, with redone graphics and 60 fps.

Would've greenlit more projects for the post launch period -- Wave Race, a new kind of FPS shooter, more collaborations with Western devs too. Expand Retro Studios so they can work on DKC + another big project simultaneously.

Marketing: Would hire celebrities like Kate Upton or Megan Fox to spearhead more elegant styled ads for the system as Nintendo has done with celebrities in the past, not cheesy "family" commercials.

$399.99 launch MSRP, drop to $299.99 in a year.

Love your ideas, especially moving The Last Story to Wii U.  It was wasted on Wii, but it would have been a major coup if promoted properly as a Final Fantasy alternative from the makers of FF.  NSMW is a great title too.

Nintendo seriously dropped the ball with TLS and Xenoblade, they should have touted them as the next FF. Apparently they forgot how to do marketing in 2010.

I think the Wonderful 101 would argue that they've forgotten how to do it once again in 2013.

MTZehvor said:
curl-6 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Love your ideas, especially moving The Last Story to Wii U.  It was wasted on Wii, but it would have been a major coup if promoted properly as a Final Fantasy alternative from the makers of FF.  NSMW is a great title too.

Nintendo seriously dropped the ball with TLS and Xenoblade, they should have touted them as the next FF. Apparently they forgot how to do marketing in 2010.

I think the Wonderful 101 would argue that they've forgotten how to do it once again in 2013.

By in 2010, I meant since then, as I agree, their marketing still sucks.

ToraReaper said:
Different name
Cheaper
Packed in pro controller
Built in replacable HDD
Mario game bundled

Says it all.

#1: Ditch the entire Gamepad idea - or conversely, made the gamepad a true Nintendo (Android-based) tablet that could be taken anywhere and do all tablet-esque things but this wouldn't be playing to Nintendo's strengths to the former is better.

#2: Improve the Wiimote/Nunchuk so no calibration is needed (possibly with camera in sensor bar) and more imputs so no pro controller is ever required. Possible a small touch screen/pad on either or both for increased input options without sacrificing comfort/ease of use. Also cut the cord for free movement for Just Dance, etc.

#3: Make the system more powerful but not overly. It doesn't have to better or even match MS/Sony's but close enough to benefit from ports of all their 3rd party titles without undue (that it, immediately apparent) quality reduction.

#4: Launch with a game that looks better than anything on MS/360 along with a new Wii Sport-esque type game. For example a realistic style Zelda or Metroid (or Starfox heck) or at least Skyward Sword with truly impressive visuals. Something to make even core gamers take notice that this is definitely not the Wii running these games (or even 360/PS3).

#5: Maintain the family friend / active gaming image of Wii but take it further than Wii/Kinect did. Make it fresh. Nintendo is now fighting tablets for casual gamers, so it needs to utilize Nintendo's strengths in areas tablets can not compete.

#6: One model, with more than 32gb (what the f--- is that? Some phones come with more...) for $299 in 2011 (2012 was way too late, they let Wii's brand dry up completely by that point)

#7: Clarify name. Wii 2 or Super Wii, or New Wii or Wii Next or any such thing that is clearly a new system and implies a step up from the previous Wii.

#8: Greatly improved online experience (even if it's charged for).

#9: Make some features required (IE: All games must allow for (some appropriate) IR/motion controls AND playing without motion controls. Online required to some degree.)

#10: Allow games (or some portion of) to be downloaded onto your mobile device or have corresponding apps that enhance / continue the main game. Much of Nintendo's audience is using mobile so utilize that to your advantage. At the very least allow off-tv play via 3DS (with dual analog) which would be fully possible if all games required non-motion controls (see #9).

This would have been a much better way for Nintendo to appease both the core and more casual fans as well as 3rd parties and stay true to what they bring to the industry.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Zero999 said:
HoloDust said:
Soundwave said:

Specs: 1TFLOP GPU (customized 6770 GPU) + Quad-Core IBM GPU + 4GB DDR3 RAM + 32MB eDRAM.

5770/6770 is 1.36 TFLOPS GPU (though it doesn't really show, due to how inefficient it is - 7770, which is around the same FLOPS is 25% faster) - I went with 5750 (1TFLOP GPU), considering Nintendo initially picked old tech, but if they went Sony/MS route, I'd say 7750 for about the same performance as 5770/6770 but less TDP would be great pick.

I find it fascinating how you sugest these GPUs for Wii u without having a single clue about Wii u's GPU performance, number of GFLOPS or anything.

And I find it fascinating how you go around from thread to thread trying to preach to people how WiiU's GPU is some never before seen technology that can pull some miraculous performance from such a small package  - I just can't figure out is it your job to do that or it is just a matter of "blind faith".

Oh, and "without a single clue" - please, do go back to your Phantasy Kingdom - I base my estimates on actual knowledge and research and not, like you, on pretending to be one of self-proclaimed Nintendo's Witnesses who are given divine right to spew endless nonsense without any actual knowledge about AMD's GPU architectures, fab processes and TDPs.

I told you before and I'm telling you again - go dig deep into matter and come up with some actual knowledge in your posts, and until then don't even bother trying any conversation with me.

you base your estimates on RUMOURS that fit your bias. the day you discover what the wii u gpu is and it's capabilities you can start sugesting that it could have used x or y gpu. untill then it's pointless to say that.

Eddie_Raja said:

Strength Upgrade:

1) No 8GB bundle, just one 320GB bundle.

2) 3GB of 2133MHz RAM instead of 2GB of 1600 MHz.

Dual channel memory bus would be actually much more imporant than that bump from 1600 to 2133MHz.

3) Quad core CPU instead of 3 core.

-The things I just listed would easily remove its current bottlenecks and allow it to be around a third as strong as the Xbox One instead of about a sixth.  These extra bells and whistes would cost only about an extra $50.

You would need slightly better GPU for that (not that WiiU's is 1/6th of XOne's to start with), so around 6570 level performance, which is still pretty weak. I'm sure certain individual will jump in here claiming that WiiU is already 1/3rd of XOne, but my sincere advice is to ignore his complete lack of knowledge on all things hardware, which in the end just boils down to trolling attempts - hardware required for that level of performance simply does not physically fit into WiiU's  GPU silicon.

curl-6 said:
MTZehvor said:
curl-6 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

By in 2010, I meant since then, as I agree, their marketing still sucks.

For better or worse, that´s why a new generation is always exciting...no guarantees the success will carry over for n reasons (in Nintendo´s case, one of the reasons...it´s a vastly different company from the one that introduced the Wii back in 2006).

HoloDust said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Strength Upgrade:

Dual channel memory bus would be actually much more imporant than that bump from 1600 to 2133MHz.

-The things I just listed would easily remove its current bottlenecks and allow it to be around a third as strong as the Xbox One instead of about a sixth.  These extra bells and whistes would cost only about an extra $50.

You would need slightly better GPU for that (not that WiiU's is 1/6th of XOne's to start with), so around 6570 level performance, which is still pretty weak. I'm sure certain individual will jump in here claiming that WiiU is already 1/3rd of XOne, but my sincere advice is to ignore his complete lack of knowledge on all things hardware, which in the end just boils down to trolling attempts - hardware required for that level of performance simply does not physically fit into WiiU's  GPU silicon.

I know it isn't quite a 6570, but it is close.   I feel like simply having better RAM and enough of it would allow it to at least recieve third party ports...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
HoloDust said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Strength Upgrade:

I know it isn't quite a 6570, but it is close.   I feel like simply having better RAM and enough of it would allow it to at least recieve third party ports...

Well, if you consider 1.5x less performance, than yes, it's close. ;)

Unfortunately, even with that, it would be nowhere near those very early rumors of 4850 level performance which would really make quick porting a lot easier, and most likely secure 3rd party support no matter the user base.