By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U: If You'd Designed the Wii U, How Would You Make it More Appealing as a system/SKU?

Change the name, drop the tablet controller, add a bigger HDD and sell for the same price or cheaper.

Around the Network

Unlock the ability to voice chat with the controller. It's got a built in mic, for Pete's sake! If the audio quality isn't ideal on TV speakers, just let us use dime store headphones.

tuscaniman99 said:
Change the name, drop the tablet controller, add a bigger HDD and sell for the same price or cheaper.

I wouldn't say completely abandon the Gamepad. Personally, I think it's great for certain things (being able to play without a TV, having a map always at the ready, asymetrical multiplayer, local two person multiplayer without the need for another TV or split screen, etc.), it's just that those certain things aren't enough to warrant packaging a Gamepad in and throwing in an extra $100 or so to the console's price tag.

Maybe have a version of the Wii U with just the pro controller that's $200, and a version that comes with the Gamepad that's $300? And of course allow for Gamepads to be bought separately...

Some console bundles would probably help as well. Might as well take advantage of the huge Zelda fanbase out there and do what they did with Ocarina of Time 3D: Release special edition Zelda Wii Us that come with a copy of Wind Waker HD. Maybe do the same with DKC:TF and SM 3D World when they arrive as well.

Short Answer

• System Name: UNES (Ultra-Nintendo-Entertainment-System)
  • GPad is only an optional peripheral, Pro Controller becomes standard
  • Make the system more powerful
  • Delay the launch until September 2013
  • Bundle the system with Super Mario 3D World, delay NSMBU until later
  • $300 launch price

- Ditch the Wii brand in the console name. Not because it confuses people but because it doesn't really follow in the Wii's footsteps at all. The name of the console likely won't matter too much to the casual gamers as long as the games are there. The core won't take the name "Wii U" seriously, especially after the Wii. Plus, they could continue the Wii series of games without the name because it's still well-known. I'd call it the UNES. (Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System)

- Turn the Gamepad into an optional peripheral similar to the motion+ or Wii Zapper. It is only required for certain games such as N Land or off-TV play. That way, people who do like it can use it while others can just use the Pro Controller. The GPad is a cool device but from a business perspective, it wasn't worth upping the price of the system that much just for a controller.

- Use the money from the GPad to make the system more powerful. It doesn't have to be a huge improvement but just a bit so it can look better next to the PS4 & XB1. I say use the $100 from the GPad and spend half of that on power. 

- Don't launch the system until September 2013. Sure, the Wii would have been seen as completely abandoned but it basically already was in since 2011. The drought has just been unexeptible and I think Nintendo would've been better off if they just waited until this year. They'd lose the headstart but their launch-window line-up would kill the PS4 & XB1 in terms of quality 1st party games. 

- Bundle the system with Super Mario 3D World and get rid of NSMBU completely. They could develop and launch the game later in the systems life.

- Launch the system for the price of $300

@MTZehvor
If they make a bundle without the tablet everyone would buy that bundle making it useless and therefore no reason to bundle it in the first place. Sony is making the PS Eye irrelevant. We'll see if that comes back to bite them in the ass since they obviously don't want anything to do with the casual market.

Around the Network
tuscaniman99 said:
@MTZehvor
If they make a bundle without the tablet everyone would buy that bundle making it useless and therefore no reason to bundle it in the first place. Sony is making the PS Eye irrelevant. We'll see if that comes back to bite them in the ass since they obviously don't want anything to do with the casual market.

There's certainly still a reason to bundle it; some people will be willing to buy the Gamepad, and they might as well get it for the discount if they can. The great thing about the Gamepad, IMO, as opposed to the PS Eye/Kinect/PS Move, is that you can simply add it in for almost any game as an extra function (perhaps for an on screen map, a quick select touch menu, or something else) without much hassle on the developer's part. There will still be people willing to pay for that, as well as the ability to play games without a TV. It certainly won't be as many as will buy it without the Gamepad...but it's still worth producing (albeit in much smaller quantities).

attaboy said:
Unlock the ability to voice chat with the controller. It's got a built in mic, for Pete's sake! If the audio quality isn't ideal on TV speakers, just let us use dime store headphones.

Do you have any idea how annoying it would be playing multiplayer games online and hearing every noise on every user's end from button mashing and clicking to siblings and friends yelling in the background?

First though, Nintendo has to actually put out some online multiplayer games before we even start talking about voice chat options.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Basically just launch with the Deluxe bundle at $299 in black or white, no Basic bundle. After that make sure there is at least one exclusive per month, Jan-Pikmin 3, Feb-Rayman Legends, Mar-Lego City Undercover, Apr-Wonderful 101, May-Game & Wario, Jun-Wii Fit U. If that had happened I could see sales close to 5 million by this time. A slight drought to start the summer then Aug-Luigi U, Sep-Wind Waker, Oct-Wii Party U, Nov-Sonic Lost World/DKC Tropical Freeze, Dec-Mario 3D World. Also a decent marketing campaign throughout the year. With that I dont see sales being enormous but with a steady flow of games, marketing and slighty cheaper price, it would have much more momentum currently and much less negative press.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NightDragon83 said:

attaboy said:

Do you have any idea how annoying it would be playing multiplayer games online and hearing every noise on every user's end from button mashing and clicking to siblings and friends yelling in the background?
First though, Nintendo has to actually put out some online multiplayer games before we even start talking about voice chat options.

I'm on my Wii U right now. Buttons seem pretty quiet and the mic seems pretty far away from them, too. I'll have to video chat with someone to see if it's an issue.

Ditch the Wii brand. Maybe call it "Nintendo Yuu" or something like that.