By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U: If You'd Designed the Wii U, How Would You Make it More Appealing as a system/SKU?

green_sky said:
NightDragon83 said:

Nintendo Land and NSMBU both say hi.  Drop the resolution to 480p on them and presto, you have two Wii games.

And you really need to get your eyes checked if you are comparing games like Forza 5, Ryse, Killzone 4, MGS 5 etc to what is currently available on PS360.

Take those next gen games and run them at 480p and you get xbox original games. Brilliant logic you got there sir. Hats off. 

Nope, not at all.  When I first got my 360 I only had an SDTV.. I played COD4 on it at 480p and it still looked light years better than anything on Xbox / GC / PS2.

On the other hand, you put NSMB Wii and NSMB U on two TVs side by side and the average person walking by wouldn't be able to tell the difference without taking a closer look.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

500GB HDD: Instant buy for me. I hate that 32GB crap.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
500GB HDD: Instant buy for me. I hate that 32GB crap.

you know you can just buy an external hard drive right?  It helps them keep the cost of the system down and if you don't need the storage you don't have to add the price of a hard drive. 

NightDragon83 said:
fordy said:
NightDragon83 said:
#1: Get rid of that stupid, awkward, clunky tablet controller. This alone would also solve several other problems with the system...

#2: Make it more powerful. Now that there's no expensive tablet required, we can spend a bit more on the inner workings of the console so that it's not a generation behind again.

#3: Design the system so that it doesn't look EXACTLY LIKE THE WII. This will also help to clear up the confusion that still persists among general consumers and casuals who aren't sure if the "Wii U" is just a peripheral for the Wii or not.

#4: Launch the system with games that don't look like Wii games in HD. It's REALLY hard trying to sell a new console to serious gamers when you're charging more money than current gen consoles, and the games you're launching with look WORSE than on current gen consoles.

#5: Change the name. Words cannot describe how stupid the "Wii U" name is, how it sounds, and why anyone thought this was a brilliant idea is still a mystery.

Do all those things, launch the console at $299, give it an online infrastructure that doesn't suck and also doesn't feel like its a generation (or two) behind, and for God sakes give the damn thing more internal storage than what a typical $10 USB thumb drive has these days.

#1 and #2 constitute that Nintendo take a "same old shit" strategy of the other big 2 manufacturers, which I doubt they'd want to get into "Red ocean" strategy, considering what happened the last time that they did that with the GameCube.

#4 is difficult in the fact that Nintendo's IP does not show vast improvements with graphical leaps, due to the character design. That would involve having to make things more "realistic".

#3 and #5 have some merit to them. Some people saw the U stylus from Ubisoft on the Wii and assumed that the Wii U was just a Wii with a bundled stylus. The average consumer doesn't keep track of 3rd party goods, they just assume something on a Nintendo console is Nintendo's doing...

- Well, you gotta admit that Nintendo has their own version of the "same old shit" strategy, where every gen they rely solely on Mario and co. to sell consoles, these days more than ever before.  People buy PlayStations and Xboxes for a variety of reasons that have changed each generation, but with Nintendo it's always Mario and Zelda or bust.

- There was a time when Nintendo's IPs DID in fact display vast improvements and graphical leaps, but that was back when Nintendo actually put out new hardware that was a huge leap over its predecessor and on par with the leading technology of the day.  The jumps from SMB1-3 to SMW, and then to SM64, and then to SSB / Sunshine for example were all huge despite retaining similar art styles and not needing to go for the ultra realistic look.  Now we have Galaxy / 3D World which hardly show any improvements over their predecessors, and the NSMB titles, which all look similar from the DS right on up to the Wii U.

The only thing that remains the same between generations are the characters themselves, and there's a very good reason for that, too. If you think the games themselves are just rehashes, then you have absolutely no idea of what Nintendo's core market principle is. Innovation is about evolving the enjoyment factor in gaming, either through software or hardware, not from "same shit, better graphics", or another generic FPS with a different face plastered on the protagonist.

Depends on what you mean by "show any improvement". If you're still talking just graphics, then this conversation is over. However , if you're talking game aesthetics, I beg to differ that Galaxy is a very reasonable true successor to the predecessors mentioned, as a very logical progressive step. As for 3D world, you're commenting on a game that hasn't even been released yet, so spare me your assumoptions and skepticisms until there's an actual game on the shelves. There have been plenty of games out there that have had gamers worried from previews, but have eventually released to outstanding reception.

Obvious most people here do not run a business let alone a console making one.
You get a lot more in the price of a Wii U than most people think.
The storage issue is a non issue really. You can buy any external drive for cheap and have all the storage you'll ever need and it keeps the price down.
The Game pad complaints are also very silly. Its a normal controller that just happens to have a screen on it. It doesn't offer any less functionality than any other controller.
Most are comparing it to the price of a base PS4 unfairly. Sony is subsidizing the cost of the PS4 by charging 60 a year for online. You would also need to buy a Vita if you don't have one or at least add it into the price comparison as its needed to do some of the things Wii U can do out of the box.

Around the Network

get TVii rolled out everywhere and working properly and include a pre-installed pokemon game with NFC compatibility.

Job done.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

NightDragon83 said:

On the other hand, you put NSMB Wii and NSMB U on two TVs side by side and the average person walking by wouldn't be able to tell the difference without taking a closer look.

Thats purely due to the art style of the game. those sort of cartoony graphics can only go so far, before only jagged edges are cleaned up and colours become slightly higher fidelity. Nothing else will change really

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

A few things:

1. Super Mario 3D World bundle,
2. A new sexier Gamepad, right now it looks usable, but I think a lot of people are afraid to pick it up because of how fat it looks.
3. Increase the range of the console, or at least allow for some sort of access point that can be located at some distance from the console. My one peave is that I cannot access the Wii U on the 3rd or 4th stories of my house without moving it out of the living room on the first floor. It seems like they made it with tiny Tokyo apartments in mind, and not regular sized houses.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Waited until more games were available to launch with it. Launch with Super Smash Bros and Legend of Zelda.
Not bothered with the gamepad, just have a normal controller.
Give it at least 4GB of RAM and made it more powerful than it is.
Keep the price the same.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

More appealing in general? I would not

more "gamers" = less gamers but more mainstreamers = more streamlined boring games = less bang for your buck when it comes to games.

If WiiU sells 30 million this generation everything is good.

More appealing for the real gamers?

Little bit better CPU/Ram  and having "real" games out. Metroid Mario Zelda etc.   WiiU's first year was quite wasted IMHO. And  Portable mario for WiiU (Mario 3D World with the nonsensical time limit... was a bad decision)

Plus dropping the shitty Wii brand name.  Noone needs it why?  DS = best selling Nintendo handheld ever! And guess what It dropped the GameBoy name.  Brand name is something for idiots.

P.S. I would have avoided implementing shitty  smartphone rumble inside the gamepad. its the first controller EVER where i deactivated it because its crap  not because I want to save battery power.