By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED Another Video Added and Link to Article!!!] Nintendo take on third party.

Should Satoru Iwata step down?

Yes 66 31.28%

No 145 68.72%

Total:211

Seems like the really old people covering the video game industry want something sexy from Nintendo. I mean when everything fails something sexy in a video game should do the trick for them.

*Referring to video in OP.

Around the Network
green_sky said:
Seems like the really old people covering the video game industry want something sexy from Nintendo. I mean when everything fails something sexy in a video game should do the trick for them.

*Referring to video in OP.

I guess so, why do you think we have a crap load of generic rated M games these days, they hype up games to no end and the game ususally end up being fun for about a month then it turn into ....meh :/

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Kresnik said:

But that's where the Kutaragi point comes in, Pie.  Kutaragi designed the (still!) two highest selling home consoles ever.  And he completely & utterly ballsed up the PS3 beyond belief.  Was the reaction supposed to be - "but hey, he did some stuff right in the past, let's just let this one slide eh?".  Like I said; past success isn't a measure that someone is the right person for a job in the present.  The thing that bothers me most about Iwata, personally, is this:

1) Wii has a games drought after launch.  "But it won't happen again" says Iwata, before the launch of the 3DS.

2) 3DS has a games drought after launch.  "But it won't happen again" says Iwata, before the launch of the Wii-U.

3) Wii-U has a games drought after launch.  See where I'm going with this?

I'm sure there are multiple reasons at play for why this occurred.  But I just find it pretty unexcusable by the third take.  And the point I'm trying to make with this being - why is this still happening?  Why are we waiting until the holidays for Wii-U to become a competitive console?  What happened since 2011 when Wii developed dried up?

I'm not saying Iwata can't turn this around.  In fact, I believe he can - and in the post you quoted I said that I don't have any strong feelings about whether he stays or goes, because I don't.  But I don't think "because he made the Wii & DS" is a good enough reason for why we should look the other way.

Problem is what is a good indicator is looking at the situation, Iwata has shown he can deal with those situations which is the same as the one now looking at track record in those situations gives a fair indicator, this isn't like Ken Kuturagi who designed PS1 and PS2 then was thrown into situations he'd never been in with the PSP and PS3.

Kresnik said:
Roma said:
I'm so sick of this "Should Iwata step down?" no he should not as if it wasn't for him they would not have had the successful Wii and DS or are they forgotten already?

I see people say this over and over again, but it normally gets countered with the point of "Ken Kutaragi" (I'd expand on it, but I'm sure you're aware of the story behind that).

Past successes does not equal future stability.  Nor does past success mean that someone is the right person for the job after repeated mistakes.  He pulled a blinder with the Wii & DS, but they are in the past now.

I don't have any feelings one way or another about Iwata's resignation, I just thought that was worth pointing out anyway since no-one had brought it up yet.

comparing him to a guy that lost billions is unfair. it's like they are in two different galaxies

he made a mistake with 3DS but corrected it and it is selling immensely well or is that blinder as well? sure they lost some cash but if Ken was in his place he would have lost billions in that period (slight exaggeration but you know what I mean)

people are so quick in wanting him out. I think its because they think that a different president would put Nintendo games on mobiles which is not going to happen if they want to keep selling hardware

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

pezus said:
novasonic said:
It's going to be the exact same situation with the PS4 and X1, just like every other console ever. There won't be more than 5 games worthy of owning the console for for at least the first year.

I can already name more than 5 PS4 games that would make it worth owning to me

Yes but ur a hardcore Playstation gamer so Killzone, Infamous, Driveclub, etc. will appeal to u. For the majority of gamers that already own PS3/360 those games will be overshadowed by GTA5, GT6, COD, BF4, etc. so they will have no need to uupgrade at first.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

But that's where the Kutaragi point comes in, Pie.  Kutaragi designed the (still!) two highest selling home consoles ever.  And he completely & utterly ballsed up the PS3 beyond belief.  Was the reaction supposed to be - "but hey, he did some stuff right in the past, let's just let this one slide eh?".  Like I said; past success isn't a measure that someone is the right person for a job in the present.  The thing that bothers me most about Iwata, personally, is this:

1) Wii has a games drought after launch.  "But it won't happen again" says Iwata, before the launch of the 3DS.

2) 3DS has a games drought after launch.  "But it won't happen again" says Iwata, before the launch of the Wii-U.

3) Wii-U has a games drought after launch.  See where I'm going with this?

I'm sure there are multiple reasons at play for why this occurred.  But I just find it pretty unexcusable by the third take.  And the point I'm trying to make with this being - why is this still happening?  Why are we waiting until the holidays for Wii-U to become a competitive console?  What happened since 2011 when Wii developed dried up?

I'm not saying Iwata can't turn this around.  In fact, I believe he can - and in the post you quoted I said that I don't have any strong feelings about whether he stays or goes, because I don't.  But I don't think "because he made the Wii & DS" is a good enough reason for why we should look the other way.

I don't think I ever said that, due to his past success, we should look the "other way" if the Wii U totally flunks sales-wise and puts Nintendo in the red. All I was saying is that his past (Wii, DS, and 3DS) is small and that's all we have to base the future on, for him running Nintendo.

After all, predictions are largely based off of the past, right? When a game comes out, you look at past sales figures in the franchise to decide how this might do. And, due to his past only showing success (overall), that's all we can hope for. (I'm definitely not saying we should give him a get out of jail free card. Because if the Wii U fails with Iwata in the Captain's seat, who would I look to as the main "problem"? The man commanding the ship!)

Anywho, game droughts occur with nearly every console. Many consoles open up to okay releases, but then take the rocky route shortly afterward because past the release window, no one was completely ready for the road ahead.

I hope you see my point more clearly now, Kres.

fordy said:
mutantclown said:

Apparently Nintendo never aspires to something bigger, they're pretty much content with what they do, and if it were for them we would still be playing cartridges. They only care about creating new controllers for all I can see, and then they make a few games that really exploit the potential of them throughout a whole 5 year cycle, and always expect third parties will give a damn and do the same, but really few of them do.

Taking the jump to CD in the 32bit era was a HUGE gamble, and it wasn't that Nintendo doesn't aspire to become bigger. After all, they didn't become the dominant marketshare from sitting back and doing nothing on their NES and SNES consoles. The fact of the matter was that moving your established system to CD was a HUGE gamble, despite the size and cost benefits, Nintendo's concern was piracy, something they went as far as to put a microprocessor in each cartridge in the NES and SNES in order to thwart it. CDs also suffered from incredibly shocking access times, whereas at least with the Famicom and the FDS, they had the cartridge slot to fall back on. Nintendo saw what happened with the SegaCD and it spooked the hell out of them to make a system that only used CDs, which until up to that point, was a market failure in the games industry until the PlayStation came around.

That's true, but the only, really, the only rationale for Nintendo's decisions is always the following : is it alright for OUR games? it is? good, screw everybody else. Cartridges were a pretty lucrative business for them too, and they were still the market leaders, so if anyone wanted to publish a game they would have to bow to the almighty Nintendo, concede to their demands and pay them big royalties for having the luxury of having their game on their platform. 18 years later, they still think that way. Hiroshi Yamauchi always said Nintendo consoles are for Nintendo games, everything else brought by third parties was secondary, in their minds it was third parties that had to come to Nintendo, not the other way around. That's been Nintendo's erred philosophy forever. 

What's your point?

You wanted Nintendo do pander to third parties and making a system that would be crippled to their style rather than the way that they did it? That would have slowly eradicated the only sure thing to Nintendo's profits, which is their first-party titles. Can you name one console CD title that was a hit before the PlayStation came out?

You forgot the entire point of why third parties had to pander to Nintendo in the first place, and that was because they were the only company out there with enough guts to sell a videogame system in a market devastated by a market crash, and as such were rewarded for their efforts. You'll find that most strict guidelines placed at that time were Nintendo's attempts to not follow down the path of glut and decline like Atari did...third parties HAD to play by Nintendo's rules because Nintendo rebuilt the market for them...

[Update] Do you feel Nintendo even care about third parties, for the the pass couple of days, it felt like Nintendo treat third party support as a side job as they focus on themselves which understandable ,but at the same time sort of stubborning not only to third party but their fans to.

Here an old article from Emily Roger, before E3 2013. Its a good read, and explain my fusteration with Nintendo and Iwata profromance as a whole.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/

And here's another video, though I don't agree with the term "Save Nintendo Fire Iwata" but he makes good points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OD9rKc067s

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

update, please watch !!

—