By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED Another Video Added and Link to Article!!!] Nintendo take on third party.

Should Satoru Iwata step down?

Yes 66 31.28%

No 145 68.72%

Total:211
novasonic said:
pezus said:
novasonic said:
pezus said:
novasonic said:
It's going to be the exact same situation with the PS4 and X1, just like every other console ever. There won't be more than 5 games worthy of owning the console for for at least the first year.

I can already name more than 5 PS4 games that would make it worth owning to me

Sure there's a bunch of cool looking games for PS4 already. The WiiU has a bunch too. But I don't see any PS4 games that I neeeeed to get a PS4 for yet. The first game I'll find myself needing to buy a WiiU for is Pikmin 3. It takes at least a year of building an install base before developers really take a console seriously. Or at least before they'll start making the kinds of games I want.

Well, yes, that depends on the individual of course. Personally I can't really see the appeal of Pikmin and inFamous is probably the first must have PS4 exclusive for me. Maybe Killzone, depending on the story and more.

You should try Pikmin if you havn't before. I didn't think I was going to like it, but it ended up being the reason I chose Gamecube over Xbox. I havn't spent a lot of time with Killzone or inFamous. They just don't really do it for me. I should probably play Killzone 3 though, since my friend moved to Amsterdam for 6 months just to work on it.

your friend is cool and that game is cool, im still playing it

Around the Network

I honestly have a huge deal of respect towards Iwata, the guy is very respectable.

Kresnik said:

I see people say this over and over again, but it normally gets countered with the point of "Ken Kutaragi" (I'd expand on it, but I'm sure you're aware of the story behind that).

Past successes does not equal future stability.  Nor does past success mean that someone is the right person for the job after repeated mistakes.  He pulled a blinder with the Wii & DS, but they are in the past now.

I don't have any feelings one way or another about Iwata's resignation, I just thought that was worth pointing out anyway since no-one had brought it up yet.

could not agree more

Click HERE and be happy 

MohammadBadir said:
haxxiy said:

I think so. Step down, I mean. The company is stagnant right now.

owning a Console that is on the top of VG weekly sales ATM =/= Stagnant :P

Right... that hardly means anything to investors at all, does it, my overly smart friend.

The fact is most japanese big companies were sucessful on more than doubling their market values after the confidence boost the government brought with their new exchange rate policies. Factor this one out and investor confidence have been steadily dropping for over five years now. Awful.

Kresnik said:

I see people say this over and over again, but it normally gets countered with the point of "Ken Kutaragi" (I'd expand on it, but I'm sure you're aware of the story behind that).

Past successes does not equal future stability.  Nor does past success mean that someone is the right person for the job after repeated mistakes.  He pulled a blinder with the Wii & DS, but they are in the past now.

I don't have any feelings one way or another about Iwata's resignation, I just thought that was worth pointing out anyway since no-one had brought it up yet.

What are we supposed to base his career on if we can't base it off of the last generation? The Wii and DS were basically his doing, his only doing as a console creator/developer/whatever. He didn't come up with the GameBoy Advance or the GameCube, so all we have to go off of is his major success last generation. He brought Nintendo out of the toilet, so to speak.

Now, you could argue that it was his mistake that the 3DS was a completely dead console for weeks on end after it launched (to record breaking numbers, I think), but he seemingly fixed that and the 3DS is now an extremely competitive console.

I get what you're saying, Kres. But it's not like he has been a CEO long enough for us to have a log on all of his successes and failures. As of now, we have three successes and one possible failure. (That is, if that "failure" doesn't start pulling up this Holiday.)

Around the Network
oniyide said:
novasonic said:

You should try Pikmin if you havn't before. I didn't think I was going to like it, but it ended up being the reason I chose Gamecube over Xbox. I havn't spent a lot of time with Killzone or inFamous. They just don't really do it for me. I should probably play Killzone 3 though, since my friend moved to Amsterdam for 6 months just to work on it.

your friend is cool and that game is cool, im still playing it

Yes he is. He does environments and stuff. He's at Ubisoft Toronto right now working on the new Splinter Cell.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

NintendoPie said:

What are we supposed to base his career on if we can't base it off of the last generation? The Wii and DS were basically his doing, his only doing as a console creator/developer/whatever. He didn't come up with the GameBoy Advance or the GameCube, so all we have to go off of is his major success last generation. He brought Nintendo out of the toilet, so to speak.

Now, you could argue that it was his mistake that the 3DS was a completely dead console for weeks on end after it launched (to record breaking numbers, I think), but he seemingly fixed that and the 3DS is now an extremely competitive console.

I get what you're saying, Kres. But it's not like he has been a CEO long enough for us to have a log on all of his successes and failures. As of now, we have three successes and one possible failure. (That is, if that "failure" doesn't start pulling up this Holiday.)

But that's where the Kutaragi point comes in, Pie.  Kutaragi designed the (still!) two highest selling home consoles ever.  And he completely & utterly ballsed up the PS3 beyond belief.  Was the reaction supposed to be - "but hey, he did some stuff right in the past, let's just let this one slide eh?".  Like I said; past success isn't a measure that someone is the right person for a job in the present.  The thing that bothers me most about Iwata, personally, is this:

1) Wii has a games drought after launch.  "But it won't happen again" says Iwata, before the launch of the 3DS.

2) 3DS has a games drought after launch.  "But it won't happen again" says Iwata, before the launch of the Wii-U.

3) Wii-U has a games drought after launch.  See where I'm going with this?

I'm sure there are multiple reasons at play for why this occurred.  But I just find it pretty unexcusable by the third take.  And the point I'm trying to make with this being - why is this still happening?  Why are we waiting until the holidays for Wii-U to become a competitive console?  What happened since 2011 when Wii developed dried up?

I'm not saying Iwata can't turn this around.  In fact, I believe he can - and in the post you quoted I said that I don't have any strong feelings about whether he stays or goes, because I don't.  But I don't think "because he made the Wii & DS" is a good enough reason for why we should look the other way.

No he should not...

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Update!! I posted a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=esRMX0gbyQ8#t=1902s

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

mutantclown said:

Apparently Nintendo never aspires to something bigger, they're pretty much content with what they do, and if it were for them we would still be playing cartridges. They only care about creating new controllers for all I can see, and then they make a few games that really exploit the potential of them throughout a whole 5 year cycle, and always expect third parties will give a damn and do the same, but really few of them do.

Taking the jump to CD in the 32bit era was a HUGE gamble, and it wasn't that Nintendo doesn't aspire to become bigger. After all, they didn't become the dominant marketshare from sitting back and doing nothing on their NES and SNES consoles. The fact of the matter was that moving your established system to CD was a HUGE gamble, despite the size and cost benefits, Nintendo's concern was piracy, something they went as far as to put a microprocessor in each cartridge in the NES and SNES in order to thwart it. CDs also suffered from incredibly shocking access times, whereas at least with the Famicom and the FDS, they had the cartridge slot to fall back on. Nintendo saw what happened with the SegaCD and it spooked the hell out of them to make a system that only used CDs, which until up to that point, was a market failure in the games industry until the PlayStation came around.