By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED Another Video Added and Link to Article!!!] Nintendo take on third party.

Should Satoru Iwata step down?

Yes 66 31.28%

No 145 68.72%

Total:211
pezus said:
novasonic said:
It's going to be the exact same situation with the PS4 and X1, just like every other console ever. There won't be more than 5 games worthy of owning the console for for at least the first year.

I can already name more than 5 PS4 games that would make it worth owning to me

For me there's not even 1 "have to get it" game announced for PS4/Xbone or released for Wii U yet. I can't think of any console ever that launched with 5 or more games worth getting.

Around the Network

The Wii U, contrary to what many people have been saying now, had a decent launch. Its post-launch was just bad. However, regardless of what system you get, you will always have that "ripped-off" feeling if you are susceptible to it.

I learned my lesson with the 3DS when I spent the first four months playing with virtual puppies.

I'll wait for a price drop.

RCTjunkie said:
I learned my lesson with the 3DS when I spent the first four months playing with virtual puppies.

Happened to me with the 3DS and now with the Wii U, but we got the ambassador thing with the 3DS so they sort of made up for it. Hopefully they do something similar for the Wii U.

Nem said:
I dont think you learned your lesson. Its generally a bad idea to buy systems at launch. Price cuts, failure rates and software droughts always happen during year one on every console.

this and the guy is preordering the PS4? its not Iwata's fault that people are either ignorant, suckers or have no self control. Dont buy consoles at launch, its that easy

Around the Network
Suke said:

Quick question, I know games are coming soon for the system, but does anyone feel like they were ripped off as an early adoptor and Iwata is doing a poor job as CEO, and be honest, no flame wars or fanboying.

Do you feel Iwata was the right pick to be CEO back in 2002?

PS: I plan to pre order the PS4.

*sigh* Here we go again with this kind of shit, right?

"Be honest, no flame wars or fanboying", followed by "I plan to pre-order the PS4". Not obvious where you want this thread to go at all, eh?

Even though it doesn't really merit one, the answer to this thread is: NO, Iwata does not need to step down, and people honestly really need to quit bring that up. In no line of business or entertainment, do you follow up two MASSIVE successes, with a couple of stumbles, and are just out to dry. The 3DS has recovered just fine, and is honestly kicking ass lately. The Wii U has stumbled so hard because it had so many months with hardly any software, and NO major Nintendo titles to push the hardware. That situation IS stupid, but they've admitted as much, and I believe they're earnestly working to try and fix it. The 3DS in retrospect was more of a hiccup than a stumble, considering it's own drought only lasted really a couple of months. Wii U on the other hand went the span from Jan-May without getting hardly any noteworthy titles, outside of a port of MH3 and Lego City (which is, admittedly, a great game).

But none of that in any way tells me "YEAH, LET's FIRE REGGIE AND IWATA".

Was Satoru Iwata the right guy in 2002? You bet your ass he was. He's a former programmer from HAL. He helped create The Adventures of Lolo, Mother, Kirby, and Smash Bros. To my knowledge he's the ONLY head of a major game company that actually has a background in MAKING games, instead of just being a salesman or PR rep. Meaning he actually does understand video games, he also understands gamers. I would absolutely give him the benefit of the doubt over the heads of Sony, or MS, or Capcom, or Namco, or Square, Konami, Activision, EA, etc. etc. etc.

He isn't going anywhere, nor does he need to. If you "feel ripped off", that's too bad. The game drought did suck, for sure. But if you feel that bad about it, by all means go enjoy your PS4. That doesn't imply for a minute that Wii U isn't going to recover and have a wealth of great games in time, nor that Iwata needs to be punished for what basically amounts to poor forsight on Nintendo's part, as far as them taking longer to finish up games than they obviously thought it would. But he and Miyamoto both have said that they are finishing a bigger main headquarters, and that they will be hiring more developers. So it shouldn't be a problem again going forward.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Roma said:
I'm so sick of this "Should Iwata step down?" no he should not as if it wasn't for him they would not have had the successful Wii and DS or are they forgotten already?

Iwata will never be taken completely seriously.  He took over for a guy (Yamauchi) who was president for over 50 years and who got Nintendo into the toy and gaming business in the first place.  How do you compete with that?

Miyamoto is the most valuable person at Nintendo today.

The man is responsible for the most successful/highest selling portable and home consoles (DS, Wii) that Nintendo has ever made. He's also responsible for helping to open up console gaming to a wider audience. How in any of that is he not getting taken completely serious?

WiiU is the only console I have bought at launch. Ive not played it that much but I have enjoyed it. So I dont feel ripped off.

RCTjunkie said:

I learned my lesson with the... oh wait, I never bought a console at launch cause I'm smart like that.

I troll I troll, but it is true as I practically never get a new console within the first year. The only exception was the Wii, as with the way it was selling, I knew it's price wouldn't be getting any lower anytime soon. That, and the games! Wii Sports, Sonic Secret Rings, and TLoZ:TP all when I first got it, then new releases every month afterwards, starting with Pokemon Battle Revolution and Mario Strikers Charged. Ah, good times good times.

Only cheap bastards will feel ripped off.

Never buy consoles at launch then you won't cry about it.

Or perhaps support some 3rd parties for once?