By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [UPDATED Another Video Added and Link to Article!!!] Nintendo take on third party.

Should Satoru Iwata step down?

Yes 66 31.28%

No 145 68.72%

Total:211

Iwata is best Nintendo CEO.

Around the Network

I think so. Step down, I mean. The company is stagnant right now.

Egann said:
On the whole Iwata's done a really good job, especially on the hardware side.

He largely inherited the Gamecube and a dying Gameboy line, and for the next generation both Sony and Microsoft launched HD consoles. Nintendo could not possibly afford to launch an HD console.

95% of companies would have gone out of business right there. Instead we got the Wii and the DS in the same stroke. I do understand, though, why Nintendo's been struggling with this generation's launches. They're going through two generations of growing pains, and it's hard to follow up on two successes in the best of times.

You can complain about the software stagnating or regressing, though, and I'd largely agree. The only Nintendo IP I really care about which has actively improved over the past ten years is Zelda. But even there, if they're not going to take chances with their existing IP, they need to grow their IP collection to avoid stagnating. Nintendo's doing that. They bought Monolith. They just need to do more of it: another RPG series or two would be nice, and as Nintendo's audience matures they need to look at acquiring some horror (or something equivalently adult).

Just as I was thinking, I personally feel dev groups such as Next Level Games, Intellegenet System,  Alpha Dream and Retro Studios evolve Nintendo IPs which explain why I'm more excited for Mario & Luigi 4 then Super Mario 3D world. This topic I created a while back will explain my fusteration if your interested 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=164150&page=1#

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Slimebeast said:
I feel ripped off as an early adoptor of the 3DS since they released the 3DS XL.

I hesitate buying a Wii U because I don't want to be a ripped off early adopotor again. I am araid they will release a better version and drop proce right ater I bought a Wii U.

But you have more pixels per inch. So in other words your games look sharper ;)

Not really feeling ripped off. Since launch, I've bought 5 Wii U games, one of which I played for 3 months solid, only now receding from MHTriUltimate to move on to KOTOR II on Steam.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Roma said:
I'm so sick of this "Should Iwata step down?" no he should not as if it wasn't for him they would not have had the successful Wii and DS or are they forgotten already?

I see people say this over and over again, but it normally gets countered with the point of "Ken Kutaragi" (I'd expand on it, but I'm sure you're aware of the story behind that).

Past successes does not equal future stability.  Nor does past success mean that someone is the right person for the job after repeated mistakes.  He pulled a blinder with the Wii & DS, but they are in the past now.

I don't have any feelings one way or another about Iwata's resignation, I just thought that was worth pointing out anyway since no-one had brought it up yet.

haxxiy said:

I think so. Step down, I mean. The company is stagnant right now.

owning a Console that is on the top of VG weekly sales ATM =/= Stagnant :P

pezus said:
novasonic said:
pezus said:
novasonic said:
It's going to be the exact same situation with the PS4 and X1, just like every other console ever. There won't be more than 5 games worthy of owning the console for for at least the first year.

I can already name more than 5 PS4 games that would make it worth owning to me

Sure there's a bunch of cool looking games for PS4 already. The WiiU has a bunch too. But I don't see any PS4 games that I neeeeed to get a PS4 for yet. The first game I'll find myself needing to buy a WiiU for is Pikmin 3. It takes at least a year of building an install base before developers really take a console seriously. Or at least before they'll start making the kinds of games I want.

Well, yes, that depends on the individual of course. Personally I can't really see the appeal of Pikmin and inFamous is probably the first must have PS4 exclusive for me. Maybe Killzone, depending on the story and more.

You should try Pikmin if you havn't before. I didn't think I was going to like it, but it ended up being the reason I chose Gamecube over Xbox. I havn't spent a lot of time with Killzone or inFamous. They just don't really do it for me. I should probably play Killzone 3 though, since my friend moved to Amsterdam for 6 months just to work on it.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

The problem I see with the constant Iwata debate is that he hasn't failed yet, Wii U sales are often compared to the Wii's by people which the latter was an exception in launch sales, the U right now is selling what the PS3 and 360 were selling during the same period. All of Iwata's platforms (DS, Wii, 3DS) so far have gone on to do well after their launch year, no one brings up the 3DS anymore and only one of his platforms came out flying from the start (Wii). Iwata is the only gaming higher up to really overcome a brand as strong as the Playstation brand and did it so from a severely weakened market position that alone means he deserves some space to see if he's on the right track, we'll get a better idea of whether Iwata has the right vision for the U by the end of next year when competition is around.

I personally like how he's turned the company around and his open approach.

pezus said:
Mr Khan said:
Not really feeling ripped off. Since launch, I've bought 5 Wii U games, one of which I played for 3 months solid, only now receding from MHTriUltimate to move on to KOTOR II on Steam.

I thought you disliked KOTOR? o.O

Or maybe I just think that because you didn't like it as much as many others

My experience was dragged down by me making bad decisions that I had no idea I was making, and the fact that the game was biased towards Melee classes (a fact that, at least, they made explicit in II for choosing characters). Supposedly the gameplay in II is a bit more balanced, and I have more idea of what I'm doing this time...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.