By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If exclusives Swapped would the same people hating be praising?

JayWood what is the actual point of this thread? Whats the message? Why are you saying games like Tomb Raider get no praise, when they most certainly do?

Around the Network

Oh, absolutely. It's just the nature of the website. The most obvious examples, as people have mentioned, are Destiny & Sunset Overdrive.

To use SO as an example; it's so weird seeing people who seem to have never had any interest in an Insomniac Games title before putting the game in their signature; or people who loved Ratchet & Clank seeming to shun it.

I'd actually fall into the latter category, although there is an explanation for that. I don't hate the title. In fact, I think it looks very, very good & if it were multi-platform I would buy it. But it's not; it's XBone exclusive. I have no desire to spend £429 on a console to play one game. So there's a limit to what excitement I can show for the title on the forums because it's not something I'm going to be able to play at any time in the near future.

It's a weird system. Exclusives gravitate people towards a console due to their preferences (and I do feel their is a big distinction between what the big 3 offer); and then once an owner of that system, a person will defend those exclusives more than other games. I also think that's why you see more news posted about exclusives than other titles. There is literally more news out there; because the big 3 know that exclusives are what's going to draw people in.

sales2099 said:

Cmon do NOT play that card and act like MGS4 OMG PS3 EXCLUSIVE NOT ON XBOX 360 mentality didn't exist in record numbers.

Now........its just another multiplat. Only MGS fans are excited. PS fans on MGS5 = meh.

I actually think you're wrong on this one, Sales.  I can only speak from personal experience but:

Metal Gear Solid 4 was the culmination of a storyline Kojima had started more than 10 years before MGS4 released.  Characters were coming back that we hadn't seen since the first game.  We were supposedly getting answers that had been lingering since the first title.

And even moreso, he'd misdirected us by taking the series into the past with MGS3; so a return to the future and the Patroits storyline was a massive deal.  Personally, I bought a PS3 to play MGS4, because I was that into the storyline and wanted to see how it ended.

MGS5 doesn't have many of these things.  It is continuing a storyline he started more than 10 years ago (MGS3); but we know how it ends this time.  It's taking place in the middle of the story.  There can only be certain outcomes that lead into the events of the other games

There's also the fact that - in my opinion, again - Metal Gear Solid 4 is by far and a way the worst mainline MGS game.  Too cutscene heavy (even for MGS!); set pieces weren't up to the other games; bosses weren't as memorable etc.  MGS4 was coming off the third game, which featured a fantastic change of scenery in the jungle and probably the best set of bosses of the whole series (The End & The Boss especially).  Expectations are a lot lower this time.

MGS5 still looks like a stunning game.  I'll still buy it; possibly day 1 if I can afford it.  But there are a whole host of reasons why I feel it's not as big a deal as MGS4 was and none of them are to do with exclusivity.

Great question from the OP

I guess my answer is a firm No.

I dislike the XBox One for a number of reasons.

I adore the Dead Rising series and am gutted I wont get to play Dead Rising 3

If it was multiplat I would be delighted.

However I would still dislike the XBox One

Kresnik said:

sales2099 said:

Cmon do NOT play that card and act like MGS4 OMG PS3 EXCLUSIVE NOT ON XBOX 360 mentality didn't exist in record numbers.

Now........its just another multiplat. Only MGS fans are excited. PS fans on MGS5 = meh.

I actually think you're wrong on this one, Sales.  I can only speak from personal experience but:

Metal Gear Solid 4 was the culmination of a storyline Kojima had started more than 10 years before MGS4 released.  Characters were coming back that we hadn't seen since the first game.  We were supposedly getting answers that had been lingering since the first title.

And even moreso, he'd misdirected us by taking the series into the past with MGS3; so a return to the future and the Patroits storyline was a massive deal.  Personally, I bought a PS3 to play MGS4, because I was that into the storyline and wanted to see how it ended.

MGS5 doesn't have many of these things.  It is continuing a storyline he started more than 10 years ago (MGS3); but we know how it ends this time.  It's taking place in the middle of the story.  There can only be certain outcomes that lead into the events of the other games

There's also the fact that - in my opinion, again - Metal Gear Solid 4 is by far and a way the worst mainline MGS game.  Too cutscene heavy (even for MGS!); set pieces weren't up to the other games; bosses weren't as memorable etc.  MGS4 was coming off the third game, which featured a fantastic change of scenery in the jungle and probably the best set of bosses of the whole series (The End & The Boss especially).  Expectations are a lot lower this time.

MGS5 still looks like a stunning game.  I'll still buy it; possibly day 1 if I can afford it.  But there are a whole host of reasons why I feel it's not as big a deal as MGS4 was and none of them are to do with exclusivity.

And as for me, I am personally more excited by mgs5 than I was for mgs4, and now it's multiplat. I agree that mgs4 was the worst mainline. I am excited to see things changed up and I really like the storyline in this part dealing with child soldiers and the like.

Around the Network
riderz13371 said:
sales2099 said:
Farsala said:
Yea Titanfall gets tons of praise but games like CoD do not get much praise. Infamous is getting tons of praise but Destiny is not. Watch Dogs getting a bunch of praise being MP but sunset overdrive is not being exclusive. So I really do not get the point in this thread at this point.

If PS exclusives swapped with Xbox exclusives.....would PS fans still back the origional PS games or back the swapped ones because it just happens to be on PS?

I lean towards the latter.....we praise exclsuives regardless whether or not we actually are going to play them. Its praised because its on our console of choice, not because we want it.

Or maybe they are praised because they're simply good games. You don't see PlayStation fans praising Ratchet and Clank All 4 One just as you don't see Xbox fans praising Fable the Journey.

Well well well

Look who decided to finally come back to the park and play ;)

theprof00 said:
Farsala said:
Yea Titanfall gets tons of praise but games like CoD do not get much praise. Infamous is getting tons of praise but Destiny is not. Watch Dogs getting a bunch of praise being MP but sunset overdrive is not being exclusive. So I really do not get the point in this thread at this point.

yep. This guy gets it.

He also presented his self maturely.

I would like Xbox if it had all PS exclusives and all the ps1 classics on xbl

If PS3 was a gears, halo, gears, halo system with a crazy focus on Kinect then i would join TeamXbox and play the Heavy Rains, Ratchet and Clanks, and all the other games. They would also have a more proven selection of ips they could bring back.

If MS and Sony switched ips and Xbox had The Last Of Us, GODA, Beyond, Puppeteer, Xillia coming right now then YOU GOT ME FUCKED UP if you think i would stick with Playstation.

Team MOTHERFUCKING XBOX!

It's not about blind loyalism. Sony just simply has the better games, more history, a wider stable of once proven ips which gives them the most potential.

Sony is Sony and MS is MS at the end of the day

sales2099 said:

It would be the exact same thing if the exclusives swapped. We're all male cheerleaders in this regard.

But MGS5 not being praised half as much as MGS4. Take a guess why lol. Im looking at you PS fans......

And I'll bet you that they'll be the ones who buys it the most and will definitely praise it the most too. 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

For me its all about the games... it really doesn't matter which platform it goes on, if its good enough then I will get that system.

I got an Xbox originally for Dead Rising, Wii for Wii sports, and PS3 cause i was bored of the wii :)

I think there is definitely some bias in exclusives, and perhaps companies like Insomniac get some grief because they made games just for Sony. But Fuse was awful and Sunset overdrive, no one has actually seen any gameplay footage. So is it right that after Fuse and just a video trailer some people are unfairly criticising SO... it's a little unfair, but to be expected (not saying that there aren't some people who are giving them grief for being ex Sony, but their track record hasn't been all that great).

But i think the opposite is also true, that some games are unfairly praised without actually seeing any footage, because its on the platform of choice.

I think Killzone is an alright franchise, but I really liked the graphics in the new one. Infamous, was rough around the edges but has a certain charm, and the new one looks great. Both games footage has been shown and you can understand people who have purchased previous releases being excited. Cannot understand someone getting overly excited by the Order or by Sunset Overdrive, when we have seen nothing.

The one that does have footage, that I am not getting right now is Titanfall. Just looks like multiplayer COD maps with mechs, but is getting praised all over the place. Not convinced theres been enough to justify that at the moment. I thought the Destiny stuff looked much better - though that was in a very controlled play through, which again is not enough to justify lots of praise at this stage.

The game that i have seen the most footage of so far is Infamous, and that has definitely impressed me. If this moved to Xbox, I would be upset (because i would have to buy a second console to play it)... but based on what I did for Dead Rising/Alan Wake, I would do it.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!