By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If exclusives Swapped would the same people hating be praising?

This is not off topic in the slightest. Its an exclusibe game that is getting a lit of attention. In a similar vein infinite also got a lot of attention. Right here I have a concrete example that people hype and love great games.

You said tomb raider didn't get respect, yet it sold really really well...best tomb raider sales ever. And it got a lot of threads. I evwn posted a tomb raider review by conan. There were so many yhreads praising not only yhe game but also its tress fx feature.

You say far cry, yet it gets a huge amount of praise everywhere. On reddit and 4chon it has a new thread every day. I'm personally curious as to how this game is so amazing, though o don't really like first person shooters. Fallout 3, another brilliant game, but exclusive that got a lot of praise and was just an awesome game with really good expansions.

Ryse is talked about a lot? Coulda fooled me. I don't see a ten th as many threads as I did for those games.
So please, post these lists because as it stands you're just saying that people amp up exvlusives, exvlusives that don't deserve it, and the only exvlusive you said thus far is ryse.

Oh and ftr, I don't even like infamous, although I spent a billion hours playing killzone 2, which was a very well made game. In comparison kz3 was not as good and didn't get nearly as much praise.

Around the Network

for me, i couldnt give two fucks. the only 1st party i play really is Nintendo. although as a PS3 owner for the 3rd party exclusives i have played the occasional 1st party game, none that would make me buy a console for it though

Absolutely. As I mentioned in another thread MGSV would have been hyped to death if it was a xbone or ps4 exclusive. It's graphics are simply out of this world (in my opinion) and a nice step for the franchise.

I don't get Titanfall's praise at all. Even Knack gets more attention than MGSV despite not looking great (though I personally like it and will probably be the first game I buy for ps4, while I have no interest in MGSV and its genre).

We're talking about fanboys, right? Of course they would.

kupomogli said:

Not just blue shells.  First place has 0% chance of  getting anything in Mario Kart 64 and beyond other than green shells, banana peels, and bombs.  You have the chance to get any item while in second place and the chance only increases the further back in rank you are.  Sandbagging so you can continue getting good items and holding onto them and then pulling into first place at the end and using the good item you've got to guarantee your victory isn't very fun.

Yes  it's a family friendly game, but what's the point in having competitive multiplayer if you have to purposefully play worse to guarantee a win?  

The only other game I've played that does this same thing is Split/Second, where first place is at a disadvantage on tracks with two or more shortcuts since it takes a full bar to activate a shortcut, so after first place activates a shortcut, players following first place get to use the shortcut or activate the second shortcut while first place is already within the shortcut.  The difference between Split/Second and Mario Kart is that it's something they overlooked with Split/Second while with Mario Kart the game is designed to penalize the winning player.

Kart 64 had its share of problems, to be sure (rose tinted glasses help a LOT. Objectively it's the second-worst Mario Kart i own, but it always places top in that franchise on my VGC Top 50 list), but the problem with sandbagging is that you have to worry about defensive pressure from first place and offensive pressure from 3rd (as well as the "hurt everyone" items), and in other Kart games second place only barely gets anything better than first, which is not worth the strategic tradeoff.

What could be a fun strategic mechanic to add to the game would be if the Blue Shell had dynamic targeting, meaning 1st place could just hit the brakes as soon as they heard the pinging, and hope that second place is greedy enough to try to pull ahead and have the targeting switch.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

To be honest, I noticed a lot of gamers change their words with respect to titles that lose their exclusivity. For instance, MGS is by FAR my favorite video game series, and that has nothing to do with Playstation exclusivity for a number of years (it was on other systems before, after all). I love it because I find it is a deep series. I've heard some guys who once praised the series regard Hideo Kojima and MGS with disgust recently. Now it's an 'overrated' series lol I don't think that should matter, to be honest. A good game is a good game irrespective of exclusivity or a multiplatform state.

Similarly, I know guys who claimed to not have any interest from titles from Insomniac and Bungie (Xbox and PS crowds respectively), but now that they're multiplatform their tone is different. xD

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

theprof00 said:

Oh and ftr, I don't even like infamous, although I spent a billion hours playing killzone 2, which was a very well made game. In comparison kz3 was not as good and didn't get nearly as much praise.

PM'd you most of what I had to say.  As for Killzone 2, yes I believe it was better than KZ3.  Never managed to go further than the beta.  

You know you never did actually respond to the topic of the OT right?

I praise the game itself, not the console it is on. If inFamous went to Xbox, I won't suddenly say "oh inFamous sucks"...because it doesn't.

It would be the exact same thing if the exclusives swapped. We're all male cheerleaders in this regard.

But MGS5 not being praised half as much as MGS4. Take a guess why lol. Im looking at you PS fans......

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

It would be the exact same thing if the exclusives swapped. We're all male cheerleaders in this regard.

But MGS5 not being praised half as much as MGS4. Take a guess why lol. Im looking at you PS fans......

What you talkin' bout there Sales? MGS was always overrated. Now everyone gets to have the mediocrity.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS