By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If exclusives Swapped would the same people hating be praising?

TruckOSaurus said:

It's a matter of point of view I guess. Let's take LittleBigPlanet, it's a platformer with bad bad bad controls and that's unforgivable to me so I do get the impression it gets praised just because it's an exclusive or at least that its flaws are overlooked because of it.

I would counter that it was the only game of it's type, and pretty much the first game of its type on consoles. I think the flaws get overlooked because of that. Kinda like how the wii controller flaws were overlooked because it was fun.

Around the Network

I do think so Jay. In my observations, I see people being loyal to a brand (in general), switching exclusives from one Sony to Microsoft for instance would just remove one check point from their hating/bashing checklist.

Depends on the forum youre on.

VGChartz, for example, has people that love companies rather than games due to the nature of the site itself. The core pull of the site has been Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft.

It comes with being on a sales site.

GAF, for example, has great discussion regarding multiplats. Penny Arcade would be another example.

kupomogli said:
I wouldn't. I posted this in the your "controversial gaming opinion" thread.

"I think Mass Effect is garbage and rated so highly because it was an exclusive. The future games in the series aren't too much better, and the overrated games are overrated on the PS3 as wekk because it was once a highly praised exclusive series that we now have.

While there are a lot of good exclusives, I think there are a lot of games on all consoles that are praised just because they've exclusive. Here are some for Sony and Nintendo too.

Infamous 1. The first game was decent, but didn't deserve the praise it received from critics and fans. The second improved upon the first in literally every way and is deserving of the praise, though. Gameplay is pretty much the same, but the changes included made all the difference.

God of War while pretty, is my least favorite stylish action series. Even X Men Origins Wolverine is a better game in my opinion, but a series like God of War gets constant praise when you'll almost always be using square, square, triangle, or a long variation of the exact same move,plus R1 and Square, or on the original, R1 and X. Games that are highly deserving of this praise like Lords of Shadow, Dante's Inferno, and DMC DmC get overlooked for some reason or another and this series gets massive praise for being God of War.

Animal Crossing. Go around the entire town shake all the trees, find bugs flying around, stuff lying on the ground., then after you've done all you can, talk to one villager who asks you to talk to another villager, repeat. Five minutes of gameplay you constantly repeat. Every game follows this exact same formula and every game is massively praised. How is this fun?

Mario Kart. I hate this series. Playing normally the game penalizes you for being a good player. What's the point of being in first place when you'll get first just by staying in third or fourth?"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=164042&page=5

Without Blue Shells, the system is rigged in favor of player 1, because he or she can usually (Mario Kart DS was the exception here) defend against Red Shells and then has nothing else to worry about except the driving. All positions after that have to worry about the driving *and* the other players.

Blue Shells create statistical anomalies that we all remember more vividly than how the best player usually wins most of his/her races (all of us being "the best player" if we play in single player at some point), so the minority of races or Cups that we each have lost due to an ill-timed Blue Shell make us more bitter about those items.

A legitimate gripe about the Blue Shell that Nintendo has finally rectified was in Double Dash, DS, and Wii, where the shell grew wings and would *only* hurt the 1st-place-racer, and maybe numbers two and three if everyone was jockeying for position at the moment of impact. That made it an item that was useless for the caster outside of the purposes of spite (while still serving its role in making sure player 1 always has some pressure on them). Kart 7 made it low-flying again, so there's a decent chance of it ramming other people out of the way for you.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JayWood2010 said:

InFamous, killzone, or even Ryse.

Far Cry 3 has a 90+ metacritic and has sold 5.16m.  Rated better than the most recent killzone and infamous by a good margin and demolishes them in software sold yet we talk about those games more.  Ryse is being dubbed as QTE the game yet it gets talked about more than "The Division".  Why?  because it is an exclusive.  

We talked about the old infamous and killzone a lot?

ANd who the fuck is talking about Ryse? I've seen like 2 threads about it, and the only other times mentioned are when threads about which specific exclusive is someone purchasing.

Also, the division hasn't been shown off a lot, it's easy to miss. Wasn't even shown at any of the conferences.

Around the Network

Oh and by the way, Tomb Raider got a LOT of praise from people.

The others didnt, mainly because theyre FPS.

theprof00 said:

ANd who the fuck is talking about Ryse? I've seen like 2 threads about it, and the only other times mentioned are when threads about which specific exclusive is someone purchasing.

Also, the division hasn't been shown off a lot, it's easy to miss. Wasn't even shown at any of the conferences.

We have seen more gameplay from the Division than most exclusives.  And Ryse has a lot of threads.  You are more than welcome to look them up yourself.

Now get on topic as you have yet to even try to answer my question.  All you have done is try to argue with me.  

theprof00 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's a matter of point of view I guess. Let's take LittleBigPlanet, it's a platformer with bad bad bad controls and that's unforgivable to me so I do get the impression it gets praised just because it's an exclusive or at least that its flaws are overlooked because of it.

I would counter that it was the only game of it's type, and pretty much the first game of its type on consoles. I think the flaws get overlooked because of that. Kinda like how the wii controller flaws were overlooked because it was fun.

As long as we agree it got a free pass, I'm happy.

Signature goes here!

I see I didn't answer the whole question... I believe exclusivity does get bashed/praised more. Everyone has a preference no matter how slight, even news outlets. With a preference a lot of people want others to see why they have the preference. Because of this exclusives are put on extremes while multiplats are somewhat ignored. For example, nobody argues over how Destiny makes one next gen console better than the other because Xbox and Playstation have it. However, you see some Sony supporters bashing Xbox 1 exclusives left and right for their flaws while Xbox fans say "You're just a jealous fanboy" and vice versa. So if people say a game is bad, some supporters will just say they're biased against it, but if some say a game is good, people will say they just like it because it's an exclusive.

Tl;dr multiplats don't make your console better than someone else's so the Internet doesn't care as much because the Internet is about being better than someone else (a lot of the time).

JayWood2010 said:
theprof00 said:

We have seen more gameplay from the Division than most exclusives.  And Ryse has a lot of threads.  You are more than welcome to look them up yourself.

And we've had more threads about bioshock infinite than all of those. What's your point? A great game gets praise. A more "niche" title, gets praise from its niche audience. Sometimes that niche audience is very loud. Number of threads proves nothing, and you should know that by now having 3 years on this site. Games that aren't very good don't get talked about a lot, except by people who really resonate with them. Games that are amazing get praised by many people.

Far Cry is pretty much your only real example so far. I'd call that an extreme minority. Tomb Raider got a shitload of praise.

My personal opinion? You want to use some other games as examples, but are refraining for some reason.