By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499
Einsam_Delphin said:
archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Why not? It's certainly not in their best interest to let their console keep selling as it is, and like I said the short term losses would be made up in the long run. I still don't see a $50 price drop helping much. You can't even buy a game with amount anymore. =[

I didn't say keep selling the WiiU as it is; actually releasing games for it alone would alter that strategy. I'm saying that a $50 price reduction - a loss that Nintendo would certainly like to avoid as it is - would be their best move for the holidays.

Well idk what else to say without repeating myself, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see that I'm right hehe.

While Nintendo would be sitting pretty this holiday with a $250 deluxe WiiU, I'll leave you with two points to think about:

Point 1: Keep in mind that Sony and Microsoft are likely not competition for most people choosing a console this holiday because they're not going to have enough stock to line the shelves. All of their available units will surely be snatched up by the enthusiasts/diehard fans/ebay scalpers.

Point 2: That kind of massive price drop is what incurred Nintendo's first posted loss ever back in 2012 (fiscal year 2011) since they've been in the games industry. They're going to avoid repeating that again, especially when (see Point 1).

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Osc89 said:

No both, the basic went down to £149. I got the £199 deluxe + ZombiU deal HMV had going thinking it would be a one off. Since then companies like Asda and Amazon have done the same. And this was after the initial "unofficial price cut" all UK retailers had where they cut £50 off both in February.

Damn I wish we had deals like that here, hopefully the big first party titles scheduled for the rest of the year can help it out over there.

Yeah they were pretty great deals. Sadly I don't think they did much, as the retailers didn't bother to line them up with a new game release or anything. It is definitely going to rest on first party over here, people won't really notice a price change given how it has been all over the place already.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Hopefully $100, but I think that might be too good to be true.. I'd buy a Wii U tomorrow if it (the premium version) was $250.

50$ price cut is almost a certainty... Definitely not 100$. That is ridiculous to even think they would consider a full 100$ price drop, and start losing money, when a 50$ cut would have almost the same effect. Bringing the 3DS up as a comparison is hardly valid. Don't compare apples and oranges, please. Both fruits, sure. Outside of that, not much else is the same. Consoles and handhelds are an entirely different game. 50$ probably by mid to late 2014. Which definitely isn't "on the horizon" unless you have a VERY broad definition of what you call 'On the Horizon'. That was definitely a contradiction.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:

They have to bring the Deluxe to $300 as a start.

Why do they have to?

The hardware difference between Basic and Deluxe is not $50. If they preinstalled Nintendo Land instead of giving you a disc, the software could be $0 (presumably dev costs are paid now).

That may be true, but it doesn't seem like it matters as the Basic and Deluxe are already $50 apart, and that wouldn't change as long as they both get the same price cut which they will.

I'm thinking Basic will disappear and Deluxe will be the only Wii U model, at $300. Basic has sold very badly.

I agree with getting rid of the Basic, but I just can't see a $300 Deluxe doing a whole lot, as the Wii U was technically already at $300. I think it needs to be at a brand new price to spark attention.

I think 289 with both nintendoland and nsmbu pre downloaded would do wonders.

Around the Network

I expect the 8gb version to be discontinued and sold for £199 until they are all gone, leaving the 32gb version for £249. A price cut of £50. I expect this to happen in November, when PS4/ Xbone are expected to launch

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Dropping $100 would be insane, and Iwata would probably get fired. $50 sounds more reasonable. I would buy a Deluxe Wii U for $299.

$70

Since Wii U is more on par with this gen, so should it's pricing. $199 seems reasonable.

archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Why not? It's certainly not in their best interest to let their console keep selling as it is, and like I said the short term losses would be made up in the long run. I still don't see a $50 price drop helping much. You can't even buy a game with amount anymore. =[

I didn't say keep selling the WiiU as it is; actually releasing games for it alone would alter that strategy. I'm saying that a $50 price reduction - a loss that Nintendo would certainly like to avoid as it is - would be their best move for the holidays.

Well idk what else to say without repeating myself, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see that I'm right hehe.

While Nintendo would be sitting pretty this holiday with a $250 deluxe WiiU, I'll leave you with two points to think about:

Point 1: Keep in mind that Sony and Microsoft are likely not competition for most people choosing a console this holiday because they're not going to have enough stock to line the shelves. All of their available units will surely be snatched up by the enthusiasts/diehard fans/ebay scalpers.

Point 2: That kind of massive price drop is what incurred Nintendo's first posted loss ever back in 2012 (fiscal year 2011) since they've been in the games industry. They're going to avoid repeating that again, especially when (see Point 1).

Well considering you ignored my key points, I don't feel very inclined to take yours to heart. Also you're assuming they price cut this holiday which may or may not be the case and regardless the price cut will last forever, not just for that holiday season, hence why I never factored the holidays into my reasoning. If it were up to me, I wouldn't price cut during the holidays as their console will already see a boost in sales.