By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499

Well here in the UK it has had a price cut down to £240, with regular sales of £200. Nintendo will have to beat that to get any interest, and at least match it if they have a shot at gaining back retailer trust.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Around the Network
archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Why not? It's certainly not in their best interest to let their console keep selling as it is, and like I said the short term losses would be made up in the long run. I still don't see a $50 price drop helping much. You can't even buy a game with amount anymore. =[

I didn't say keep selling the WiiU as it is; actually releasing games for it alone would alter that strategy. I'm saying that a $50 price reduction - a loss that Nintendo would certainly like to avoid as it is - would be their best move for the holidays.

Well idk what else to say without repeating myself, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see that I'm right hehe.

chapset said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
chapset said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
chapset said:

my bad I always taught soon was like 1 or 2 months for matters like this not the end of 2014 lawl

OT: I expect a 50$ price cut will come shortly or by early 2015

2015!? I can assure you a price cut will come before that. Just look at what happened with the 3DS which the Wii U has been doing worse than.

They can afford to lose a gen here and there on console but their real bread and butter is the handheld market, the 3ds is way more important than the wii u and that's why they are supporting it more

It's true that they can afford to lose gens, but why lose em if you don't have too? The 3DS is seeing loads of support because it released first meaning they started making games for it much earlier than they did on Wii U, and it was struggling at first so they had to focus a lot of attention on it to bail it out. If you line up the Wii U and 3DS launches, I bet you'll find Nintendo has given them a similar number of games in a similar time frame, which isn't much in the early goings.

Osc89 said:
Well here in the UK it has had a price cut down to £240, with regular sales of £200. Nintendo will have to beat that to get any interest, and at least match it if they have a shot at gaining back retailer trust.

How much was it originally? Would a $50 drop beat or meet retail prices? How about a $100 one?

Osc89 said:

Wasnt that just the basic sku while the more popular deluxe price stayed the same?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Osc89 said:

How much was it originally? Would a $50 drop beat or meet retail prices? How about a $100 one?

It launched at £300, but since around February it has been £240-£250 everywhere, and has had the occasional £200 sale (to clear out stock I assume). I don't think Ninendo can match this really without losing a lot, and it wouldn't change anything in the consumers eyes.

The bigger issue is the loss the retailers will have been making, meaning they have to convince them that the Wii U will sell before they put any effort into stocking them or promoting them at all.

zorg1000 said:
Osc89 said:

Wasnt that just the basic sku while the more popular deluxe price stayed the same?

No both, the basic went down to £149. I got the £199 deluxe + ZombiU deal HMV had going thinking it would be a one off. Since then companies like Asda and Amazon have done the same. And this was after the initial "unofficial price cut" all UK retailers had where they cut £50 off both in February.

Osc89 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Osc89 said:

It launched at £300, but since around February it has been £240-£250 everywhere, and has had the occasional £200 sale (to clear out stock I assume). I don't think Ninendo can match this really without losing a lot, and it wouldn't change anything in the consumers eyes.

The bigger issue is the loss the retailers will have been making, meaning they have to convince them that the Wii U will sell before they put any effort into stocking them or promoting them at all.

Hrm, guess it just needs games over there then. Still, an official cut to £200-£150 would enable retailers to sell them at those prices without losing as much profits, which is important for keeping good relations with retailers, as without them Nintendo would be screwed. Oh, and of course any price cuts they make should coincide with a key release.

Osc89 said:
zorg1000 said:
Osc89 said:

No both, the basic went down to £149. I got the £199 deluxe + ZombiU deal HMV had going thinking it would be a one off. Since then companies like Asda and Amazon have done the same. And this was after the initial "unofficial price cut" all UK retailers had where they cut £50 off both in February.

Damn I wish we had deals like that here, hopefully the big first party titles scheduled for the rest of the year can help it out over there.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Osc89 said:

Hrm, guess it just needs games over there then. Still, an official cut to £200-£150 would enable retailers to sell them at those prices without losing as much profits, which is important for keeping good relations with retailers, as without them Nintendo would be screwed. Oh, and of course any price cuts they make should coincide with a key release.

Yeah, it will be all about the games. I don't think the pricing of £200-£250 is that that bad anyway when looking at £350-£430 for PS4 and X1. The bigger problem is the PS360 both being at £140, and people see the same games being released for both.