By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499
Einsam_Delphin said:
green_sky said:
I'd say $50 ^_^

But wwhhhyyy!?

Because ^_^

• That is what it should have been to begin with. 
  • Any more than $50 drop and they begin to lose money. Any less...what is the point.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
SnakeDrake said:
I finally gets to see who makes all these silly kirby threads, should've known that it was a dolphin doing it.

OP:Usually console price drops are $50 right?

3DS says no, and I never made any kirby related threads (yet hehe) so what are you talking about? o_O

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury they did with the 3DS, which was sold at a decent profit when it launched.

$50 is likely the most they could do, which they definitely should by the end of the year.

VGKing said:
$50. It's better to do 2 $50 price drops within 2 years than to 1 $100 price drop that fails to ignite interest.

I thinks it's physically impossible for a huge $100 price cut in conjuction with hot new game releases to not spark interest. I sure would pick up a Wii U if they coincide a $100 drop with MK8's release. Of course I'm just one person, but I'd like to believe many others would do the same seeing how there are billions of others out there without Wii Us, so you have to think some of them are willing to get one once the incentives are there.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:

They have to bring the Deluxe to $300 as a start.

Why do they have to?

The hardware difference between Basic and Deluxe is not $50. If they preinstalled Nintendo Land instead of giving you a disc, the software could be $0 (presumably dev costs are paid now).

That may be true, but it doesn't seem like it matters as the Basic and Deluxe are already $50 apart, and that wouldn't change as long as they both get the same price cut which they will.

I'm thinking Basic will disappear and Deluxe will be the only Wii U model, at $300. Basic has sold very badly.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

OT: $50 probably. Though $30 is not out of the question given the Wii's $120 price.

Ah, I do see the similaritys. I always just liked that face. Glad they make ya happy! ^_^

What did you think about the 3DS before it got it's price cut? I bet most of us were thinking $50 then too.

Before the price cut I think that we can all agree that $250 was a bit too much. Nintendo probably thought that the DS brand's success would be carried over even at a high price but underestimated the shittyness of its launch titles.

And yeah, in my opinion $50 made the most sense back then as well. $179 and $199 should basically look the same to the average buyer, but I guess it does make sense since the XL version was already in development and expected to be $199.

Yeah, $250 was definitely too much for what the console had to offer at the time as reflected by the poor sales. Same issue for the $350 Wii U. From what I've heard, the Basic model is hardly selling at all in comparison to the Deluxe, despite being $50 cheaper, so the Deluxe model's price is the one that matters most. I think we can assume a $50 cut won't do a whole lot when considering there's already a Wii U at $300. The Wii U needs a price that it hasn't been at before, that's why they need a larger than expected drop to really ramp up interest. If they just do $50 people could say "wasn't the Wii U already $300? Meh whatevers." Bad example, but hopefully it shows what I'm getting at. :L

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
chapset said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

No you sillys, I don't mean in sales, but in price. We all know sales can only go up from here due to how low they are to begin with, and we all know a price cut is on the horizon for Wii U, if not this year then certainly by the end of 2014, so the only question is, by how much will it drop? (Okay we could also ask when the price cut will happen, but I didn't think of that until after I already started this thread. Sue me!) I was thinking $50 would be a no brainer amount, but then I remembered thinking the same with 3DS, until they slashed it's price by $80. Could they do similarly with Wii U, perhaps cutting it by $100? They're clearly not afraid to do big drops, and I'll bet the Wii U is currently doing worse than the 3DS ever was, so from that I think it's logical to assume they'll drop the Wii U's price by the same amount they did for the 3DS if not then more. $100 less would be a great amount, as that would put the Wii U + Game equal to Wii + Game when it first came out, and just like then, it would be a great value in comparison to the competition. For the same price as a PS4, you could get a Wii U Deluxe + 4 games (including the pack in N-Land). Oh wait, are Wii U games $60? If that's the case, you could still get 2 additional games aswell as extra controllers n stuff for under $400. So what do you all think? Is $100 a reasonable amount? If not, what do you think would be a good number? Civil discussion only please! ^_^ 

talk about contradiction son

I don't see what you mean. "on the horizon" is just an expression I'm using that means a price cut is coming up soon.

my bad I always taught soon was like 1 or 2 months for matters like this not the end of 2014 lawl

OT: I expect a 50$ price cut will come shortly or by early 2015

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

BloodyRain said:
I would agree with you on at least $50. The price point of the wii u and ps4 are way to close in general.

$100 isn't "too close in general".

green_sky said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
green_sky said:
I'd say $50 ^_^

But wwhhhyyy!?

Because ^_^

• That is what it should have been to begin with. 
  • Any more than $50 drop and they begin to lose money. Any less...what is the point.

Oh yeah, well I counter with

*True, but even if that was the case, we'd still be getting a price cut, which if $50, would make it $250. We can still reach that price with a $100 cut, which would make it seem as though it had always launched at $300 hehe.

*I thought you always lose money after a price cut? The thing is the profits you've already made and the profits you will make in the long run shall make up for this. I'll bet the 3DS was sold at a loss after the cut, but thanks to that it gained the install base to where they can easily profit off their games since they can sell so many of them.

archbrix said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
SnakeDrake said:
I finally gets to see who makes all these silly kirby threads, should've known that it was a dolphin doing it.

OP:Usually console price drops are $50 right?

3DS says no, and I never made any kirby related threads (yet hehe) so what are you talking about? o_O

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury they did with the 3DS, which was sold at a decent profit when it launched.

$50 is likely the most they could do, which they definitely should by the end of the year.

Sure they do. They still have plenty of cash from DS/Wii, and I'll bet the 3DS is turning in some nice profits by now. Plus do we know for sure that they aren't making money off their Wii U's? Regardless, I'm sure they know it's important to establish a big install base for the long-term, as it means your games will sell more and third partys will be more inclined to put games on the system.

Soleron said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soleron said:

They have to bring the Deluxe to $300 as a start.

Why do they have to?

The hardware difference between Basic and Deluxe is not $50. If they preinstalled Nintendo Land instead of giving you a disc, the software could be $0 (presumably dev costs are paid now).

That may be true, but it doesn't seem like it matters as the Basic and Deluxe are already $50 apart, and that wouldn't change as long as they both get the same price cut which they will.

I'm thinking Basic will disappear and Deluxe will be the only Wii U model, at $300. Basic has sold very badly.

I agree with getting rid of the Basic, but I just can't see a $300 Deluxe doing a whole lot, as the Wii U was technically already at $300. I think it needs to be at a brand new price to spark attention.