By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Much Will The Wii U Drop!? <(^_^<)

The Wii U's First Price Cut Will Be...

$100 123 24.60%

$90 0 0%

$80 9 1.80%

$70 21 4.20%

$60 7 1.40%

$50 307 61.40%

$40 6 1.20%

$30 9 1.80%

$20 3 0.60%

$10 14 2.80%

Total:499
the2real4mafol said:
I expect the 8gb version to be discontinued and sold for £199 until they are all gone, leaving the 32gb version for £249. A price cut of £50. I expect this to happen in November, when PS4/ Xbone are expected to launch

Nobody does a price cut during the holidays

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Raider84 said:
50$ price cut is almost a certainty... Definitely not 100$. That is ridiculous to even think they would consider a full 100$ price drop, and start losing money, when a 50$ cut would have almost the same effect. Bringing the 3DS up as a comparison is hardly valid. Don't compare apples and oranges, please. Both fruits, sure. Outside of that, not much else is the same. Consoles and handhelds are an entirely different game. 50$ probably by mid to late 2014. Which definitely isn't "on the horizon" unless you have a VERY broad definition of what you call 'On the Horizon'. That was definitely a contradiction.

Just saying they're not the same won't make it so bro. The only difference I'm seeing here is the Wii U being in an even worse position than the 3DS ever was. From that I think it's logical to expect the Wii U's price cut will be the same or greater than the 3DS's price cut. Also, I'll again say that many expected a $50 cut for 3DS, yet that didn't happen. A $50 cut for Wii U will not make a very big impact as explained already. With how poorly it's selling, they needs to go big. I'm sure Nintendo realizes this by now.

$50 in April to coincide with the release of Mario Kart 8 I reckon, although they have a busy release schedule to keep sales momentum going after Christmas so we may see it even later than that...maybe as late as Q3.

zorg1000 said:
the2real4mafol said:
I expect the 8gb version to be discontinued and sold for £199 until they are all gone, leaving the 32gb version for £249. A price cut of £50. I expect this to happen in November, when PS4/ Xbone are expected to launch

Maybe Early October then. I think it's a good time to do it. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

zorg1000 said:
the2real4mafol said:

Well that's not true actually, but yes they generally do it beforehand, which is why it's not too late for the Wii U to get a price cut this year, assuming what you're getting at is the Wii U wont have a cut until 2014. The 3DS had it's cut announced late July and in effect early August. The same could easily happen with Wii U, especially since there's Pikmin 3 to coincide with the cut, and afterwards there will be a steady flow of game releases to maintain momentum.

Around the Network

megaton drop, then everything else is irrelevant

snowdog said:
$50 in April to coincide with the release of Mario Kart 8 I reckon, although they have a busy release schedule to keep sales momentum going after Christmas so we may see it even later than that...maybe as late as Q3.

Idk about that, maintaining Christmas momentum I mean. I don't think they have anything slated for release during January February and March, as MK8 is looking to launch in April. Of course there's plenty of games that could occupy those months like Yoshi Yarn, X, Bayo 2, SMT x FE, but we've hardly seen much from those games (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's hard for me to see them launching in the first quarter of the year. Perhaps there are games confirmed to launch during that time that I'm not aware of?

Yup, it was those games I was thinking of. Plus there are some that they haven't announced yet too, which should come before the end of the financial year.

70k like 3ds

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

There is always that chance that something different will happen but:

N64 had a $50 price cut in March 97, a $20 cut in August 98, and a $30 cut in August 99.

GC had a $50 price cut in May 2002 and another $50 cut in September 2003.

Wii had a $50 price cut in September 2009 and another $50 cut in May 2011.

Based on the above information, anything over $50 seems unlikely. Also, if Wii U doesn't get cut by September, there likely won't be one until 2014. It seems they favor May & September so either September 2013 or May 2014 seems most likely.

I personally believe that the sweet spot price is $150 for a HH & $250 for a console. The quicker Nintendo gets to that price the better. I would discontinue the basic and cut the deluxe to $250 in April 2014 but expect a $50 cut in May.

Nintendo would be dumb to cut price this year because the focus will be on 3DS with Pokemon this Holiday and the biggest Wii U games will be released next year...although I wouldn't be surprised a bit if we do see a $50 cut in September.