By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft might extend free Xbox Gold games offer, is “sorry about dissapointment”

Still can't chat with my friends on PSN whenever I want.

Around the Network

As a user I would still value PS+ (if we're to assume the current trend is to continue ala AC2, Halo 3, Defense Grid) vs PS+ of - well; Look at the list

Most games for me personally. I pick up once and never play again once I finish.

Except those ones that offer tremendous replay value. In which case I'll go out and buy it.
Last month - I played Catherine, I'd never actually heard of it before - played through it once (swore a few times) finished it - enjoyed it then deleted it. Done with that game forever

The Xbox service hasn't been confirmed if it's to continue post December either. Which is why I'm quite happy to put money down for another 12 months of PS+ when my current one expires this month,

J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Egann said:

Whatever you say, but  "Games for Gold" is MS new initiative to combat PSN Plus. Their first two free games are Halo 3 and Fable. There was a little bit of a backlash to it because MS was trying to win people over with old games whilst Sony was giving away XCOM, Uncharted 3 & Deus Ex.

Difference being, MS actually is giving the games away. You need to have Gold to get them, but if the day after downloading them, your Gold expires, you are still keeping and playing those games. Sony on the other hand isn't "giving away XCOM, Uncharted 3 & Deus Ex". They're allowing you access to those games as rentals, so long as you are a subscriber to their service. What you are describing would be like me saying "omg can you believe Blockbuster is giving me these free games?". How silly would that be LOL. What MS is doing is more like a "buy 1 get 1 free" type deal. You pay for one thing and get the other, and it's actually yours, no strings attached.

Furthermore, even if these two services offered the same type of service to gamers, which they don't, it took awhile for PS+ to become what it is. Bitching and whining because MS isn't matching it day one is hilarious.

Regardless, right now newer and high quality games are coming out for a month and they can be enjoyed as long as you hold onto the account. How long does MS give you to download the free games? People complained because they considered it an insult that MS was "giving back" with old games everyones already played. When I buy digital I only have a certain amount of space on my HDD, so really what does it matter to me that I eventually have to let it go if I paid nothing for it? If I still had my 360 I would enjoy the fruit of the offerings down the road myself, but thats not happening. All I can say to you is I hope you enjoy. :)

tuscaniman99 said:

Sure you can, just get yourself a Vita.  Also, what in the world does that have to do with anything?

@Torillian
What does PS+ have to do with Xbox Live extending free Gold games? Every single thread about Xbox gets derailed and turned into a Sony vs Microsoft thread so I'm putting in my 2 cents.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
tuscaniman99 said:

Sure you can, just get yourself a Vita.  Also, what in the world does that have to do with anything?

I know this one.....nothing....I think he is just baiting.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

Not like they tried really hard to clarify beforehand.
MS really working the vague angle. Oh you signed up for Live because you thought it would come with games on the quality level of halo 3? Sorry bout that.

tuscaniman99 said:
@Torillian
What does PS+ have to do with Xbox Live extending free Gold games? Every single thread about Xbox gets derailed and turned into a Sony vs Microsoft thread so I'm putting in my 2 cents.

Fair enough, I see a much easier line from this topic to the free games PS+ offers than to your "I'm just going to toss in anything I can think of that PSN doesn't do yet" line of reasoning.  You can't be annoyed about threads turning into Sony vs. MS if you're helping it along by turning the topic from "free games Sony and MS offer and their differences" to just straight anything you can think of to pit the two against each other.

That said, I'll leave a general warning to everyone involved.  Don't let this get much more offtopic than it already has or I'll just lock it to make my life easier.  

I think Xbox and Sony feed off of each other. Microsoft charges for online so Sony charges for online. When Sony offers "free games", Microsoft offers "free games". Whatever one company does, the other company will counter. It's the business. Gamers can just sit back and benefit from it and stop complaining.

J_Allard said:
ganoncrotch said:

That was the dashboard which featured fable 3 not being part of the free with gold games. I'm sure you could see the confusion from the point of say, anyone who uses a 360 console and can read.

edit - would think btw if it wasn't part of games for gold, why did silver members not get it? why was it, unrelated to games for gold, but only a game, for gold members.

Not sure what else to tell you. MS said it wasn't part of it, and the service just kicked off. Hell during E3 they never even referenced Fable 3.

they sure didn't mention defence grid either during that part of the show :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive