By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Texas teen jailed after League of Legends argument

Do you agree with his punishment?

Yes - he deserves it for ... 27 15.88%

No - the authorities jumped the gun 143 84.12%

Total:170
DucksUnlimited said:
BasilZero said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Ahh, so you voted yes just because. That sounds much more reasonable.

The fact that you wouldn't mind the complete elimination of freedom of speech is just...wow.

Complete elimination? lol

Apparently not accepting tasteless jokes makes me want to eliminate freedom of speech ok. So do you want me to go out and say the same thing as he did? I'm pretty sure I wont get jail confinement, I'll probably get the death penalty once they look at my skin color l0l.

If you're only allowed to say what other people determine is acceptable for you to say, then freedom of speech has been completely eliminated. There is no inbetween with something like that. You can't be "kinda free."

Not accepting tasteless jokes would be fine. You're welcome to ignore them, or ask the person saying them to stop. Suggesting that it's fine if the government takes action against people because they said something you didn't want to hear is not okay. Not to mention the fact that if it became illegal for people to say offensive things, stand-up would be awful lol.

If possibly going to jail for a simple joke over FB isn't eliminating Freedom of Speech, what do you think it is?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Teens be crazy for this game! Still after years of being out. Well at least 1 or 2 years that I know of. they will just sit and watch tv, yet be on the laptop playing this game for hours. Is it like WoW or something? what is so special?

It's nothing like WoW ..

It's a 5v5 (or 3v3, but that mode isn't anywhere as popular) team game. Matches take about 20-50 minutes. Everybody choses a single Hero he can control and the aim is to destroy the enemy base.

Heroes level up and gain skills/improve skills and have 6 slots for items you can buy from money you get from killing minion waves that spawn from each base on 3 lanes or from neutral enemies that spawn in "the jungle", the space between the lanes.

What makes it so special is that while the basics are very simple the game rewards training/refinement of your mechanics a lot, so in a close game you use a lot of concentration and that makes winning extremely satisfying.

Lafiel said:
spurgeonryan said:
Teens be crazy for this game! Still after years of being out. Well at least 1 or 2 years that I know of. they will just sit and watch tv, yet be on the laptop playing this game for hours. Is it like WoW or something? what is so special?

It's nothing like WoW ..

It's a 5v5 (or 3v3, but that mode isn't anywhere as popular) team game. Matches take about 20-50 minutes. Everybody choses a single Hero he can control and the aim is to destroy the enemy base.

Heroes level up and gain skills/improve skills and have 6 slots for items you can buy from money you get from killing minion waves that spawn from each base on 3 lanes or from neutral enemies that spawn in "the jungle", the space between the lanes.

What makes it so special is that while the basics are very simple the game rewards training/refinement of your mechanics a lot, so in a close game you use a lot of concentration and that makes winning extremely satisfying.

and when your losing the chat makes Xbox live look like a finishing school for upstanding youths.

LoL community has to be about the worst community i've ever seen.

Kasz216 said:
This seems not... legal. Though texas.

Texas for sure but we're pro-guns there so by default, very surprising.

That's bullshit.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

and when your losing the chat makes Xbox live look like a finishing school for upstanding youths.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. The last game of LoL I played (about 2 weeks ago), I was playing as Draven. My support was yelling at me the instant we got in the game because I had armor penetration runes instead of damage (armor pen is better...). He continued to yell, in all caps, at me through the entire game. By the time 5 minutes rolled around, I was 4-0 and was completely snowballing. My support? Still yelling his face off at me. Enemy team surrenders at 20 minutes, I have zero deaths and 9 kills, and my support was still yelling. Every little move I made, every time I used an ability, it was "terrible" and "stupid".

I haven't logged onto the game since that match. Such a terrible community ruins what could be a fun game.

Kasz, earlier you said "This seems not... legal. Though texas." Isn't Texas one of the most overtly Republican states? I'm finding this even MORE surprising coming from them...

I completely disagree with what happened and it was a 100% clear violation of our first ammendment. Sad times we live in..

Kasz216 said:

that people are being jerks in that games imo comes with the highly competitive nature of the game and the fact that you are stuck with a team for a whole match of 30+ minutes

back when I was playing Dota for 4 or so years it was even worse for newcomers, as they often had to play with/against seasoned players as ofcourse there was no matchmaking algorithm for the map in the Warcraft 3 client

wfz said:

Yeah, it's pretty bad. The last game of LoL I played (about 2 weeks ago), I was playing as Draven. My support was yelling at me the instant we got in the game because I had armor penetration runes instead of damage (armor pen is better...). He continued to yell, in all caps, at me through the entire game. By the time 5 minutes rolled around, I was 4-0 and was completely snowballing. My support? Still yelling his face off at me. Enemy team surrenders at 20 minutes, I have zero deaths and 9 kills, and my support was still yelling. Every little move I made, every time I used an ability, it was "terrible" and "stupid".

I haven't logged onto the game since that match. Such a terrible community ruins what could be a fun game.

A single person with obvious problems doesn't represent a whole community of several million active players though...

and you always had the option to put him on your ignore list

damn internet is some serious business!!!

We got no rights...!

I just saw AlphaOmegaSin's respsone video. I'm just as pissed off as he is

As an American, I feel we (and this country) are just getting closer to that stage where you can't even offend somebody without getting fined/jailed. What a waste of tax payer money (and this poor kids's life)

Plus as a (somewhat) frequent player of battle.net, I hear much worse when I'm playing with others online.