By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Saving sex for marriage... Avoiding Lust

Calmador said:

The problem with lust is that it leds to evil actions and it can clearly overwhelm us.

So do gluttony, avarice, pride, despair, wrath, vainglory and sloth. You don't make a point by simply ignoring lust.

Around the Network
Wright said:

Dolphins don't need marriage to enjoy sex. Why should humans?

Do dolphins design and build cities? DO they read and write liteature or create works of art? Do dolphins fly airplanes or shuttles to the moon? More over do you as a human lick your own behind as a dog or a cat does?

Seriously your comparison is a joke.

To the OP I am a father of three children and have been happily married for over 13 years. I had sex before marriage and though so far things have worked out if I knew what I know now I could have waited. My oldest son is the product of a broken relationship and again though I love him I wish I'd brought him ointo the world as I did my younger two. Under better more stable circumstances.

Good on you for having the courage and conviction to delay your base gratifications for a better sense of self worth and humility. Yes I do agree things woul dbe so much better if we all CHOSE to do as you are doing.  I for one salute your fortitude.

-CraZed- said:
Wright said:

Dolphins don't need marriage to enjoy sex. Why should humans?

Do dolphins design and build cities? DO they read and write liteature or create works of art? Do dolphins fly airplanes or shuttles to the moon? More over do you as a human lick your own behind as a dog or a cat does?

Dolphins also kill for enjoyement. Guess which other animal in the world present this exact behaviour.

crissindahouse said:

i would rather feel enslaved if i wouldn't have sex with the chance to have it just because i'm not married. that would be a really bad situation. enslaved to the idea that i can't because i'm not married.

i also don't think that our society would be better. the society was also not better in my opinion when almost everyone was married compared o nowadays. and that which was better doesn't have anything to do with people who are married or not.

The problem with your thoguth process is that when you give in to your temptations despite your knowing better you then have become enslaved. Enslaved by your desires. You have to willfully choose to not have sex. It is much harder to say no when it is dropped in front of you than it is to just do it.

Not too mention many times young people are given the impression that its cool to be having sex and are under the false pretense that everyone else is doing it etc. So when they give in to that or use that as an excuse to engage oin sex or any behavior that has major consequences to them for that matter they have indeed become enslaved. Enslaved by the masses and the perceptions they are under. Saying no is soooo much harder, and is the higher road and the way away from enslavement.

Calmador said:
Soleron said:

As a purely practical consideration, don't you need to make sure you're compatible? Are you sure she is fertile?

Human love, the biological construct, is BOTH physical and psychological. Sex is a completely natural and complementary part of it.Saying that avoiding sex allows a better relationship doesn't match up with how we know things work. It is obviously your choice, but your way is not better.

You mention "pure mind" and "self control" - why does the Bible and/or you imply that sex is dirty? Literally what is wrong with it, in an otherwise healthy relationship? What is the negative outcome here?

Finally, and I don't wish to make the thread about this, you imply certainty about the existence of a God, which the VGC audience does not necessarily share. Do make some attempt to seperate your arguments that arise from practical/logical concerns and ones from religious morality, so that we do not conflate them.

You do know that God obviously created sex. Its not that sex is dirty but that it CAN be. I say one word and you'll agree... rape.

It can be. But rape can occur within marriage. I don't see how saving sex for marriage follows from that. And no I don't know God created sex, because there's no evidence for God.

This is wrong with it. The things that can go wrong and according to God has said, sex before marriage is the wrong way to go about it. The possible negative (evil) outcomes of sex being done wronly are divorce, aids, players using people up... mistrust of the opposite sex... selfishness. That's what I count so far...

Again wih the God's word. I'm looking for an argument from you without resort to God or the bible. Why, MORALLY, is what you said true? All those evil outcomes are not prevented by what you're doing.

Divorce.... How? If a wife or husband starts having sex others... this can hurt the relationship so far as to end it. No much to explain here...

Aids... As far as we know Aids has been traced back to a man having sex with an animal, a monkey. Sex with animals is something God has disapproved of and the consequence of that as we now know is Aids.

So AIDS is God's punishment for humanity? Wow. 

Players.... Do I need to explain this much? I don't think so... as we all know, people in society are out there manipulating others just for sex... this is a hurtful and damaging thing to our social structure. Men and women grow in mistrust of each other because of individuals that have sex without care about anything else but getting IT. This selfish lust at work.

They manipulate others for money or power too. But sex is singled out in the Bible as uniquely sinful. I don't really see that.

Last and definitely not least... Rape. What is wrong with sex? Its that sex can go wrong... that's what CAN be wrong with sex. Otherwise, I think we're better off looking to God's ways on how to practice sex... in a relationship that is sealed in marriage, between a man and woman only.

You haven't explained why such absolute rules are needed. How about we follow a moral code that doesn't allow for rape, that asks for condom use, that has equality and mutual respect - then all these prohibitions aren't needed.

Put simply, you've shown A moral code is needed. Why is God's the best?

You asked how sex can be wrong... what are the negative outcomes... there you go. And it wasn't hard to think of negative things that can happen because of the misuse of sex. Please reconsider okay.. I'm trying to help ya.

Alright. Now why is God's way the best way to solve this?

EDIT: Also, about my certianty about God's existence... I think I'm allowed to literally post/express myself like so... Its almost like you commanded me to not talk there. There's nothing wrong with the way I posted... and if all or some of VG charts don't share my belief... that is irrelevant. I think you really should reconsider what you said about that too.

Read my words carefully.

1. It helps if you don't assume your reader believes in or recognises the importance of God, because it makes your argument weak.
2. Seperate out the God part and the moral/utility part, because it's easier to discuss them seperately.

You can talk about God all you want, it's just advice for a better debate.

Around the Network

Demonization of sex is bad.

Demonization of sex has bring many things to our society :

-Rape, as a practice of men (and women) who demonizes themselves
-Sexual restraint, that leads directly to rape
-A-Sexualizing kids (because they need to be pure) wich lead to teen pregnancy, more demonization of sex, and eventually pedofilia.

Sex is something good, and a romantic moment in wich you express mutual love.

Love is good.

WagnerPaiva said:

What do you think?

I am 31 years old, had sex with 26 diferent women. And I am not happy, so, I guess you are right =D

Update: 27 women. And also I am pretty happy, the last one was really something =D

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Wright said:
Calmador said:

The problem with lust is that it leds to evil actions and it can clearly overwhelm us.

So do gluttony, avarice, pride, despair, wrath, vainglory and sloth. You don't make a point by simply ignoring lust.

Gluttony is another type of lust... so is pride... and slothness might be a lust too. Lust is being talked about in its most recognized way at the moment... sexually. Lust in general means that its like an "unconrtollable greed" of something.

But, we're not talking about gluttony, avarice, pride, despair, wrath, vainglory and sloth... that's why they;re not being talked about. My point was just say that God's ways when it comes to practicing sex are truly good and I think anyone that thinks about it rationally they'd agree. It suits our society to not be entangled and enslaved to the greed of sex. This misuse of sex is the reason why we have players and even aids (A man had sex with a monkey which caused aids) ... divorces have also been cause by people who have no boundaries to sex because he or she chose to have sex with another other than his or her spouse.

Lust can lead to evil sex.

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.

To everyone else - it's clear OP can only argue religiously. Any attempt to debate his point can't be made unless you accept his God.

Calmador said:
Wright said:
Calmador said:

Gluttony is another type of lust... so is pride... and slothness might be a lust too. Lust is being talked about in its most recognized way at the moment... sexually. Lust in general means that its like an "unconrtollable greed" of something.

But, we're not talking about gluttony, avarice, pride, despair, wrath, vainglory and sloth... that's why they;re not being talked about. My point was just say that God's ways when it comes to practicing sex are truly good and I think anyone that thinks about it rationally they'd agree. It suits our society to not be entangled and enslaved to the greed of sex. This misuse of sex is the reason why we have players and even aids (A man had sex with a monkey which caused aids) ... divorces have also been cause by people who have no boundaries to sex because he or she chose to have sex with another other than his or her spouse.

Lust can lead to evil sex.

AIDS were a human invention to stop the "gay disease".