By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X360 after 2007...

kars said:

The costs to port a game are simply so low, that it is nearly impossible to block this path.

I not so sure, a game like FF13 designed on the white engine that uses 4 SPEs might be a pain to port. (SE did lease unreal engine3 for a reason)  Or MGS4 that fills up a dual layer BR disk (50 gigs)

Is a 1 year old inferior version of a game worth the effort ?

Around the Network

why are you sooo distraught at the fact that Sony may do very well this gen? they are much better for this industry than MS will ever be. they deserve to do well and MS deserves to get the hell outta here.

If its one thing i dont like about MS is that they nickel N dme people so much.. Sony used to do that all the time but its like they switched or something.. Microsoft is good for the business though.. but i think nintendo and especially sony are potentiall better for the business

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Blue3 said:

I not so sure, a game like FF13 designed on the white engine that uses 4 SPEs might be a pain to port. (SE did lease unreal engine3 for a reason) Or MGS4 that fills up a dual layer BR disk (50 gigs)

Don't overestimate the effect of SPEs. Most of the time they will be idle! It isa highly improbable , that they really have code in the critical path that is vector based, so that they can really use their power to speed the game up.

It is not so difficult to port the SPE functions as single processes. It doesn't matter what Sony or Microsoft say, their power is more or less  on the same level. 

Legend11 said:
Considering many of the third party million sellers (read that as almost all of them) for this generation so far have been on the 360 it's mind boggling to assume the system would have trouble keeping or even gaining support.  Please explain why the PS3 which to my knowlege has NO third party games that have sold in even remotely similar numbers to the 360 would now be a threat?  Why would developers just ship from a console that is doing very well for them to one that is shaky at best and hasn't proven it can move software in the numbers required to develop for the system and be profitable?

No one claimed that third parties were going to give up on the 360 all of a sudden, bro. We've just been saying that just about all third party games are gonna go multiplatform eventually.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

Heh, this is a funny thread.  No systems have many dates for games in 2008 because it's in...2008.  As we get closer to E3 we'll find out a lot more about future games, especially now that it's May when E3 used to be.  There will be plenty of games on all of the systems.

Btw, I would not be surprised at all to see Bioshock and Mass Effect on the PS3 at some point.  Reminds me of GTA on the PS2 and the eventual released on the xbox.  A Trilogy is a long time to not branch out.

Does anyone know how involved Microsoft Studios is with Too Human?  I know it's being developed by Silicon Knights, which according to wikipedia is still partially owned by Nintendo (stock holder).  I know Microsoft Studios is publishing Mass Effect but Bioware is still independant and developing games for other systems (including the PS3), so I'm curious about Silicon Knights.

Anyway, why don't we wait until E3 before we judge 2008?  People try to get so ahead of themselves...

jman8 said:
Legend11 said:
Considering many of the third party million sellers (read that as almost all of them) for this generation so far have been on the 360 it's mind boggling to assume the system would have trouble keeping or even gaining support. Please explain why the PS3 which to my knowlege has NO third party games that have sold in even remotely similar numbers to the 360 would now be a threat? Why would developers just ship from a console that is doing very well for them to one that is shaky at best and hasn't proven it can move software in the numbers required to develop for the system and be profitable?

No one claimed that third parties were going to give up on the 360 all of a sudden, bro. We've just been saying that just about all third party games are gonna go multiplatform eventually.

jmans got it right. THe 360 has sold what... about 9 milion? With 178 titles out there and 8 third party titles to hit the million mark that is not much to brag about really. I am pretty sure most of theose devs wouldn't mind maximizing their profits to hit multiple systems. The 41 titles out for the PS3 has most likely already been out on the 360 or just was released simultaniously. I doub't any company was really expecting record sales of their titles. lol with the exception of namco. Out of those 8 million sellers on the 360 you bet your bottom dollar that if the PS3 was released at the same time as the 360, 7 of those titles would be multiplatform and it would have been a really interesting match. I am pretty sure that quite a few of those sales were because there was really no competition for the 360 when it was released.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

mmmmm, yes. I am actually eager for too human. What is interesting about the 360 and the PS3 is if you look at future exclusives they seem to go toe to toe.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said:
mmmmm, yes. I am actually eager for too human. What is interesting about the 360 and the PS3 is if you look at future exclusives they seem to go toe to toe.

Competative sure but toe to toe not really, PS3 has the proven champs 360 has a up and comers. (hehe boxing)

i have a hard time matching anything even with giants like MGS4 Gran Turismo5 Final Fantasy 13 and Versus and possibly God of War 3, all on one side.