By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - X360 after 2007...

jman8 said:

The problem with this strategy is that it could convince other companies to go do the opposite and send their 360 exclusives to PS3. Bioshock is one title that has been rumored to be coming to the PS3 for a while. Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell has had even stronger rumors of the same thing happening; the ESRB has listed a PS3 version of the game. In that case, it becomes a fight between first parties, unique services, and price. I really don't feel like MS has the depth and breadth of IPs like Sony does. MS has the better online service and the better console price, but if you combine both, its more expensive than the PS3 in the long run. Personally, I just don't see the point in buying a 360. Well, Mistwalker and Bungie are a good reason to invest, but if 3rd party exclusives die out, I think it's actually worse for MS than Sony.

i think its the other way, being worse for sony.  You mention the depth and breadth of IPs for sony, but if they keep losing exclusives that cuts into the chunk of IPs it has for itself.  Then the initial investment cost is more important.  If the game people want comes out on both consoles (like madden or call of duty) people will buy the console that is cheaper because why pay more initially to play the same game.  It is true that xbox live costs money, but it would take longer 4 years for become more expensive ($600 vs $400 + 4X$50)

You have to look at the games that sell the most copies (Madden, GTA, and Call of Duty in america) and ask people if they would buy the same game for a more expensive console.  This is why I think multiplatform games hurt sony more than MS.

O, and eternal sonata was taken off the ESRB website, you can check it yourself.  It was most likely a mistake, just like GTA:SA for gamecube.  Bioshock has also never been said to be coming to ps3 from the developers... it may eventually, but for right now it is only on microsoft platforms.

What will hurt sony the most is how much Square Enix seems to be liking Nintendo.  I think that Nintendo is taking over the casual gamers, this is what the ps2 had (and why it sold 100 mil)... xbox never had the casual gamers so it isn't really losing its fanbase to the wii...

just my 2 cents... gotta run

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:
  i have this awkward feelin floatin around in my head that X360 is gonna fall after 07... Don't know why but the thought keeps comin back...

Failure in Japan, mediocre results in Europe and a fast disappearing lead in America maybe ?

jman8 said:

Thanks for the list. No way the 360 is gonna disappear completely, but I think its gonna have an extremely tough battle to fight next year. Back to the list.... I totally forgot about Fable; that should be huge. A couple up there aren't exclusives: Turok and Star Wars. A couple are likely to be released on the PS3: Dead Rising and Ninja Gaiden (if Sigma sells well this summer on PS3). Some more probably won't come out in '08 so soon after the initial games came out: Too Human 2, Mass Effect 2, Blue Dragon 2. Finally, while I heard Crimson Skies was a great game, I also heard it didn't exactly fly off shelves the first time around. I dunno, I'm still not very convinced by the lineup, but again, it's really early to be speculating.

hey, i know that some aren't exclusives to the 360, but they aren't on the wii... i was only posting them because starcraft was talking about a battle between 360 and wii... so any ps3/360 games are fair game right?

Blue3 said:
StarcraftManiac said:
  i have this awkward feelin floatin around in my head that X360 is gonna fall after 07... Don't know why but the thought keeps comin back...

Failure in Japan, mediocre results in Europe and a fast disappearing lead in America maybe ?

Ah, now i remember !

THE NETHERLANDS

@ eques judicii: "You mention the depth and breadth of IPs for sony, but if they keep losing exclusives that cuts into the chunk of IPs it has for itself. 

I was talking about First Party depth and breadth. Sony has Gran Turismo (Polyphony), God of War (Sony Santa Monica), Ratchet and Clank (Insomniac), Resistance (Insomniac), Killzone (Guerilla), Formula 1 (Sony Liverpool), Heavenly Sword (Ninja Theory), Lair (Factor 5), White Knight Story (Level-5), Uncharted (Naughty Dog), Warhawk (Incognito), Twisted Metal (Incognito), Motorstorm (Sony Liverpool), Wipeout (Sony Liverpool), Shadow of the Colossus (Team Ico) and others I can't think of. Admittedly, a bunch of those aren't huge titles, but they show the breadth of Sony first/second party IPs. It also shows the number of talented developers they've got.

Throw in MGS and FF exclusivity for '08, and you have a very robust lineup.

EDIT: Wow, I forgot my favorite developer, Team ICO. I just threw them on my list, all is right in the world.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

If some exclusive 360 3rd party games go multi which rumored they will i think microsoft will be in trouble... they need to buy up as much exclusives as they can to win... as a fan of microsoft they have me puzzled at the release of the Elite.. that was a slap in the face to early adopters.. Team Ninja is supposedly making an exclusive dead or alive game for the ps3.. as reported on 1up.com

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Bonafide732 said:
If some exclusive 360 3rd party games go multi which rumored they will i think microsoft will be in trouble... they need to buy up as much exclusives as they can to win...

Not really. The next >Gerneration will not have real space for exclusives anymore, unimportant which plattform you are talking about. I would predict most exclusives will be exclusive for a limited time only. The costs to port a game are simply so low, that it is nearly impossible to block this path. 

My point is this,, in order to finish ahead of sony... microsoft needs strong 1st party support in which they do have.. and they also need key...notice what i said.. i said they need key 3rd party exclusives.. both companies are losing exclusives everyday with sony losing more.. but my point ealier is i dont think its beneficial to microsoft if they are losing just as much... they need to convert sony fans or nintendo fans or someone new to their brand as much as they can.. to do that you need exclusives .. key exclusives.. what do you think Kars???

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

i care more about realibilty of console. http://www.360-gamer.com/xbox360hardwarefailureresults.asp 1381 (40.40%) say they have NOT had a console fail 1329 (38.88%) say they've had one console fail 708 (20.71%) say they've had more than one console fail Overall 2037 (59.60%) of submissions claim to have experienced Xbox 360 hardware failure. If someone thinks, that on x360 won`t be good games, that one is a fool. But it`s better to name games, which will oustand analogs on ps3, not just forza2 or mass effect, which look today awful.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far