By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The summer started : Wii U is still failing hard, PS3 has way outgrown X360, PS4 out-ordered Xbone

xbox one will do great!
ps4 will do great!
xbox one is selling alot more after the DRM reversal. It is now at #1 at amazon right after the reversal thing. It will only get better. Plus if it was the same price as ps4 it would have had even more pre-orders.

Around the Network

People told me that the PS3 will stop selling once people found out about the PS4. What happened there?

Mensrea said:
blublibla said:
3DS 264,483 (+114%) 31,902,736
PS3 146,813 (+21%) 77,817,920
X360 79,854 (+1%) 77,609,830
PSP 50,038 (-1%) 79,241,760
PSV 33,095 (+18%) 5,235,935
Wii 26,070 (-7%) 99,686,450
WiiU 23,103 (-4%) 3,169,446

Let's put things in perspective :

The Xbox 360 was release in 2005.
The PS3 and Wii were released in 2006.
The Wii sold the most console ever (99.5M) but the PS3 has sold more than X360 altough it was release one year after.

The PS3 is selling almost twice more than X360 which is great momentum for the current and also the next generation.
The Wii however is not and has not been selling well for two years now.

Hence the Wii U is really a failure sale/attraction wise. There's no getting around it : it's selling less than current consoles, it's selling less than the PSVita, it's selling less than the Wii and according to recent number, there's more PS4 and Xbox One pre-orders monthly than Wii U sales.

In fact the PS4 has 2 pre-orders for one Xbox One, and most relevant analyst predict 3 to 4 PS4 sold for 1 Xbox One (I agree with the 3:1 numbers for this year)

Conclusion :

This generation is not set up. In fact before comparing consoles I have to remind you : there's never been so much changes and threat to the consoles than now (PC, Moble, Homebrew, TVs...).

But the Wii U IS BY ALL MEAN A FAILURE. It WILL NEVER get better because, deal with it, the context has changed, it's not the Wii era 2006 but the next-gen era 2013.

The Battle will be between the PS4 and Xbox One. The DRM debacle gave the PS4 a big headstart but as usual the casual and couch potatoes will decide which one wins, nowing that in Asia the Xbox One won't even be available as well as in many other countries, that currently the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 in Europe and Asia, and the X360 sold more in the US, but is now selling as much as PS3.

Also, you fail to mention the 3DS which is handily beating the shit out of the rest of the consoles. 

Its barely outselling a 7 year old more expensive console on weekly basis... there would be something seriously wrong with it if it didnt outsell them

Zero999 said:

Please do. I stay firm with my predicition for 2013. even in a worst case scenario I still see wii u above 9M units by the end of december.

Even your July one?  Giving until the week ending August 3rd, it would need to double in sales next week and keep it up for all 7 weeks.  Unless there is a tracking error and it gets adjusted, 3.5 million by the end of July just doesn't seem remotely reasonable.  It kind of brings into question the rest of your predictions.

The OP confuses me. Poor Wii U though. Nintendo are one of the only remaining champions of sustainable game and console creation. Good luck for the rest of the year and beyond, Nintendo.

Around the Network

The Battle will be between the PS4 and Xbox One. The DRM debacle gave the PS4 a big headstart but as usual the casual and couch potatoes will decide which one wins.

What is a couch potato??

Yakuzaice said:
Zero999 said:

Please do. I stay firm with my predicition for 2013. even in a worst case scenario I still see wii u above 9M units by the end of december.

Even your July one?  Giving until the week ending August 3rd, it would need to double in sales next week and keep it up for all 7 weeks.  Unless there is a tracking error and it gets adjusted, 3.5 million by the end of July just doesn't seem remotely reasonable.  It kind of brings into question the rest of your predictions.

I'll quote him on every part of it

He posted a very detailed prediction about various timespans and judging by his posts seems very dedicated to his opinion. On the other hand he already backpedalled to 9m in a "worst case scenario"...

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

ok....

chocoloco said:
Mensrea said:
chocoloco said:

Okay, Well, the assumption was made that you thought the impressive lineup would translate to more sales since this is a sales thread and not a taste in games thread.

More sales for the Wii U. I didn't say it would beat anything, but rather that the impressive games lineup will give it a real boost. The OP said that the Wii U is failing and nothing will stop that, so I responded to that.

Just curious, what is your definition of failure for this console? Would it be sales equivalent to the gamecube? Sales below the N64? I mean I still have little reason to believe sales will be much more than the gamecubes.

Excellent question.

Last generation, there was no failure, both Wii, X360 and PS4 sold enough to have considerable consumer bases and be worthy investment. 

Because the key is the initial investment in the creation and launch of a new console (count in billions), profitability (you can't just "not loose money", you have to make a lot) and market capitalization (if the investors don't trust or see the Wii U has a success, they'll leave it aside)...

So I consider that if the Wii U sells less than 30-40 millions at the end the generation it's a failure which it's BY ALL MEAN set to be

Zero999 said:
eFKac said:
Tagging. Just so I can quote some people on their predictions when the time to check comes.

I once predicted 9-10m, but the way WiiU is selling... nope