By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The summer started : Wii U is still failing hard, PS3 has way outgrown X360, PS4 out-ordered Xbone

First time I've logged into VGChartz since early 2009.

Did the Wii ever reach 51% of the console market share? I remember in 2008 everyone pretty much thought it was a forgone conclusion that it would.

Around the Network
Faust said:
eFKac said:
chapset said:
eFKac said:
Zero999 said:
eFKac said:
Zero999 said:

could you give a more detailed answer?

we'll, not really. Wii U is not a big enough point of my interest, so that I would study it's sales pattern, game releases, and other variables to give an educated guess and a prediction. And I don't want to pull a number from my ass. I belive it will be lower than what you projected, by quite a margin, starting from the end of July stage. I also think that it will be lower at the end of the year than your over 9m units "worst case scenario" prediction.

whatever, it's a bet.

Sure, why not. So if Wii U sells 10.2 million units by year 2013 end or more, you win. If it sells lower than 9.1 million units then I win. If it's between it's a tie. What's the stake? Avatar, sig control? IP ban request?

collect your prize son

Ehhh I'll let it slip, he was so close.

we dont know the chartz foe the last week of december yet so its kinda early to make an assumption =P

True, true, we're just joking a bit in this thread. I reminded Zero999 that if Wii U sells 4,8 million units week ending dec 28th, he'll be right. So I'm not jumping the gun, everything is possible, and Wii U has 3D Mario and Wii Fit U, huge system sellers, it may just cut it thanks to Japan.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
Faust said:
eFKac said:
chapset said:
eFKac said:
Zero999 said:
eFKac said:
Zero999 said:

could you give a more detailed answer?

we'll, not really. Wii U is not a big enough point of my interest, so that I would study it's sales pattern, game releases, and other variables to give an educated guess and a prediction. And I don't want to pull a number from my ass. I belive it will be lower than what you projected, by quite a margin, starting from the end of July stage. I also think that it will be lower at the end of the year than your over 9m units "worst case scenario" prediction.

whatever, it's a bet.

Sure, why not. So if Wii U sells 10.2 million units by year 2013 end or more, you win. If it sells lower than 9.1 million units then I win. If it's between it's a tie. What's the stake? Avatar, sig control? IP ban request?

collect your prize son

Ehhh I'll let it slip, he was so close.

we dont know the chartz foe the last week of december yet so its kinda early to make an assumption =P

True, true, we're just joking a bit in this thread. I reminded Zero999 that if Wii U sells 4,8 million units week ending dec 28th, he'll be right. So I'm not jumping the gun, everything is possible, and Wii U has 3D Mario and Wii Fit U, huge system sellers, it may just cut it thanks to Japan.

Nooo, please give him a funny Sony avatar!!!!

Shadow1980 said:
alicemudgarden said:
First time I've logged into VGChartz since early 2009.

Did the Wii ever reach 51% of the console market share? I remember in 2008 everyone pretty much thought it was a forgone conclusion that it would.

2008 was its peak year, and it came damn close to reaching majority market share globally in terms of LTD sales. At the end of that year, the Wii, 360, and PS3 had sold nearly 90 million units combined, with the Wii representing about 48.6% of that tally. In 2007 and 2008 alone, though, the Wii did manage to outsell both the 360 and PS3 combined in annual sales. It was the 360's head start that kept the Wii from ever reaching majority market share, though. If we aligned their launches, the Wii would have maintained majority market share for about 2-3 years, losing it sometime during the third full calendar year of the seventh generation.

The Wii did achieve over 51% for 2007 and 2008 if we look at single years though. Then again so did PS3.

Well since this is an outdated thread, i'm not gonna say anything

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Shadow1980 said:

2008 was its peak year, and it came damn close to reaching majority market share globally in terms of LTD sales. At the end of that year, the Wii, 360, and PS3 had sold nearly 90 million units combined, with the Wii representing about 48.6% of that tally. In 2007 and 2008 alone, though, the Wii did manage to outsell both the 360 and PS3 combined in annual sales. It was the 360's head start that kept the Wii from ever reaching majority market share, though. If we aligned their launches, the Wii would have maintained majority market share for about 2-3 years, losing it sometime during the third full calendar year of the seventh generation.

The Wii did achieve over 51% for 2007 and 2008 if we look at single years though. Then again so did PS3.

I did point that out about the Wii. See bolded. But what do you mean "so did PS3"?

PS3 is at 52.1% marketshare for this year.

Poor Zero999 was horribly wrong. Wii U got nowhere close 10 mil.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Wii was a novelty.

I think branding not concept is the problem with Wiiu. PSVita is a black hores in a race it could never win.

Love Vita and Wiiu but that's the truth as I see it. Nintendo should not have called it Wiiu.