By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft quashes Xbox One power "downgrading" rumours - "10 times as powerful" as Xbox 360

OXMUK

Microsoft's Phil Spencer made a bit of a boo-boo on the Jimmy Fallon show recently, commenting that the Xbox One represents a threefold leap in power over Xbox 360. Only threefold, Phil? But we thought it had 8GB of RAM versus the Xbox 360's 512MB. What gives?

Not much, apparently. Spencer has now fessed up to getting the figure wrong on Twitter, as below.

Austin Marine @skidoo800R

@XboxP3 Why did you say only 3 times the power of the 360 for Xbox One when it has been said to be 6, 8, even 40 times more powerful?

Phil Spencer @XboxP3

@skidoo800R I made a mistake.

Juan Cabrera @JuanCabrera

@XboxP3 Ok. Confused me a bit especially because of the rumor that Microsoft was downgrading One's power. Glad to see you guys haven't! =)

Phil Spencer @XboxP3

@JuanCabrera No downgrading of power, I've seen same rumor, not sure where that comes from.  Feeling good about visuals at E3 from kits.

Spencer went onto reiterate claims that Xbox One is eight to 10 times as powerful as its older brother, with more techno-sorcery arriving care of cloud computing.

@XboxP3 Okay I see. Well then do you know what the actual number is?

Phil Spencer @XboxP3

@skidoo800R Depends on exactly what you are doing with the system.  For purely local compute functions closer to 10x + Cloud.

@XboxP3 Wow that's pretty interesting! So 10+times the power over 360 if you count the cloud too?

Phil Spencer @XboxP3

@skidoo800R Cloud gives more, cloud really depends on game.  Dedicated servers, async compute etc. gives devs more options. 10x is local.

A big hand to Austin Marine for broaching and pursuing the issue.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56568/microsoft-quashes-xbox-one-power-downgrading-rumours-10-times-as-powerful-as-xbox-360/

Around the Network

good but isn't this more than 1,2 TF? ( they still haven't confirmed that number)

This is the problem they can't get their story straight. What are you doing microsoft

ugh I hate this "x times the power of" talk. It's so meaningless.

why do none of these journalists just ask the obvious question

"Why have you not just revealed the actual spec, what are you hiding?"

Around the Network

Why only 10 times? Whatever happened to the "infinite powerz of teh cell cloud"?

Nsanity said:

OXMUK

Microsoft's Phil Spencer made a bit of a boo-boo on the Jimmy Fallon show recently, commenting that the Xbox One represents a threefold leap in power over Xbox 360. Only threefold, Phil? But we thought it had 8GB of RAM versus the Xbox 360's 512MB. What gives?

He is saying that as if the amount of ram has something to do with the compute power. Could still have 3 times the power even with 16GB Ram. Could have had even less power than a 360 and 64GB Ram.

badgenome said:

Why only 10 times? Whatever happened to the "infinite powerz of teh cell cloud"?

It's 360 x 10 + = BS

Is it 10x performance or 10x raw power?

There's a pretty big difference between the two.

You're not going to find out the actual GPU specs so you may as well stop whining and move on. The important part is that they haven't downgraded their design as was rumoured, rejoice and be happy in the positive aspect of the news and stop trying to nit pick with your negativity guys.