By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looks like Sony built PS4 to compete the Xbox 360, only with better graphics/specs

green_sky said:
tuscaniman99 said:
Sony has sold 340 million consoles and no profit to show for it...

Now now. Let's not get into the whole profit thing. Only company that is concerned with business side of things is Nintendo. We buy XBOX and Playstation because Sony and Microsoft subsidize our gaming. 

I'm pretty sure all three are concerned with the business side of things. Sony and MS don't sell hardware at a loss from the goodness of their hearts.

Around the Network

Dis, both are shit, just stick to PC and Wii U lol. Maybe PS4 down the road for cheap if JRPGs flood the PS4 would be a smart choice, otherwise, just avoid both.

psrock said:
disolitude said:
badgenome said:
If the past week is anything to go by it looks like that trail MS is blazing leads right out of the console business.

I disagree... When Apple, Android devices and Microsoft ecosystems are running the digital gaming landscape 5 years from now and Sony is yelling "hey guys, we do digital too if you'd like"...we will see who made the right bet.

Have you ever heard of the Vita? It does most of what MS talks about.

I've heard of this vita, thing. I believe they are colorful boxes that collect dust in gamestop. I've never seen one in the hands of a person.

bananaking21 said:
disolitude said:
ethomaz said:
And every title in PS4 will be available day one for digital and retail.

Sony give you choice.

That's fine. Choice is good...But are you are telling me that they are going to match Microsoft with a digital ecosystem as well as keep retail disk based gaming alive and take care of every man, woman and child and leave no one behind. All this while keeping the same or better user experience?

And that I won't have a situation like I did last night where I bought the Last of Us on PSN and it took 30 minutes to download and 7 HOURS to install?

But yeah, slow disk loading retail games will still be there...thats a plus right?

i thought this thread was about the PS4 not PS3? when sony announced the PS4 they said you could download a small portion of the game and play right away while the game downloads and installs in the background. 

you are spreading false information and nonesense all over this thread, give it a rest will ya

I want to know how he downloaded The Last of Us in this manner, because the PSN version does not have a seperate download and install. 

The PSN version of The Last of Us makes you download an installer (~150MB). You start the installer like playing a game and it starts to download. Once the game reaches ~70% you start playing the game, and it continues to download and install as you play. 

It took me about 2 hours to download 18.2GB and then I was off and playing. I have a 20mbps connection and that is exactly on the nose for data to connection speed. He must have 115mbps internet to have downloaded ~26GB in a half hour. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
bananaking21 said:

i thought this thread was about the PS4 not PS3? when sony announced the PS4 they said you could download a small portion of the game and play right away while the game downloads and installs in the background. 

you are spreading false information and nonesense all over this thread, give it a rest will ya

I want to know how he downloaded The Last of Us in this manner, because the PSN version does not have a seperate download and install. 

The PSN version of The Last of Us makes you download an installer (~150MB). You start the installer like playing a game and it starts to download. Once the game reaches ~70% you start playing the game, and it continues to download and install as you play. 

It took me about 2 hours to download 18.2GB and then I was off and playing. I have a 20mbps connection and that is exactly on the nose for data to connection speed. He must have 115mbps internet to have downloaded ~26GB in a half hour. 

BUSTED!!!

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Mummelmann said:
Uhm, both Sony and MS are doing the same old same old, MS are simply throwing in a lot more restrictions and regulations while the PS4 throws in more gimmicks.

They both seem kind of... boring to me.

looking at your sig i see you are a PC gamer, can i ask, what has PC gaming brought new to the gaming industry? if PS4 and X1 seem boring because they do the same thing, then what new things did PC as a platform bring to gaming? why doesnt PC gaming seem boring?

to make it clear, im genuinly interested in your response, not trying to pick a fight or argue or downplay PC gaming (as i am a PC gamer as well)

Streamlined UI and terrific desktop apps like Steam and full customization of all things from hardware setup and acceleration to incredible mods and tweaks in games. Incredible catalogue of games spanning from today and all the way back to Commodore 64 times via emulators, a platform that has form technical marvels and simple gems alike, from Half-Life 2 (which was mind blowing at release) to games like Unepic and Terraria, massive multimedia functionality and connectivity, amazing deals through digital distribution and lots of good, free content from many developers. Free to play online, no restrictions, region locks or insane user agreement terms (unless you use Origin...).

I still have room for a tiny bit of console gaming, racing games and things like GTA keep me somewhat intrigued, I also bought The Last of Us yesterday but still haven't played it. I do notice that consoles interest me less and less though, they're sort of merging into beige lumps of everything and nothing, focusing on too many things besides gaming, things social features, stupid motion controls and other things I never cared about.

Anari said:
green_sky said:
tuscaniman99 said:
Sony has sold 340 million consoles and no profit to show for it...

Now now. Let's not get into the whole profit thing. Only company that is concerned with business side of things is Nintendo. We buy XBOX and Playstation because Sony and Microsoft subsidize our gaming. 

I'm pretty sure all three are concerned with the business side of things. Sony and MS don't sell hardware at a loss from the goodness of their hearts.

Do you think i don't know that. 

Heavenly Sigma said:
Well winning 2 generation in a row and being second for the third isn't all bad is it? What has Microsoft gotten? 2 and 3 and a guaranteed bad start for the next gen.

I would harldy call that second place.  In the PS2 era ONLY the PS2 won.  The Xbox sold less than a 6th as many consoles as the PS2, and only a couple mil more than the Wii.  Not only that, but MS incurred massive amounts of debt while at least the Gamecube profited.  So if anyone is counting I would put Xbox in last place that gen as well.

disolitude said:

I was on vacation with no internet access for a week and am watching these e3 conferences and their fallout for the first time today, so forgive me with chiming in a bit late.

In terms of the e3 presentations and what was shown:

What has Sony added to the new console aside beefing up the specs? Sony's console strategy is seriously starting to lag at this point and time. For 3 generations now they keep doing the same things console after console.. just beef up the specs and provide a current staus quo and boom, they’re done. Whilst Microsoft has been the trailblazer, taking risks and bringing new things to the console market. This forces Sony to have to patch things on the go in order to compete and always remain a step behind(or several steps).

When Microsoft introduced standardized multiplayer gaming on consoles and started charging for Xbox Live Gold, people criticized it, claiming it will fail. But now Sony is going by the same route and charging money for PSN+ in order for multiplayer. How are gamers and media not bitching about this btw?

Then again when Microsoft Introduced Xbox live arcade and XNA for indie developers, people said it will fail... but now Sony is grabbing Indie developers any way they can. Consistently Sony incompetence and lack of foresight means they have to always play catch up and are behind.

We are again seeing something new on home consoles from Microsoft...cloud computing, digital gaming library, digital game sharing, HDMI passthrough and possibly many more features to come...which everyone on the internetz is claiming will fail. All while the greatest strengths for the competition are all based on the current gaming standards. Hmm... 

They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome.

Well if hoping for the same outcome for the PS3/PS4 as with the PS1/PS2 (record breaking sales for each gen) makes Sony insane then call them so. Who the fuck doesn't like success. Sony doesn't want a different outcome than the PS1/PS2 era's, they were reaching sales never even heard of, but they are insane? Kay, bud.

It's not only the tech that flows the industry, its also the software that comes with it. Sony went out of their way to branch out to other studios with ideas and impressions of what the PS4/Dualshock 4 should be like while making it affordable right away. Higher power isn't the only way to bring new ideas to video games but it does help alot when you have all this extra power to harness than you did before. Games will be easier play, more compatible, will have cloud integration (just like One), Gaikai service in 2014, 4K support for movies, as well as easier to develop for than PS3. Insanity I tell you.

But overall you bring up some really good points about MS and it is clear that MS knew what they wanted to do and I was all for it because everything that they have done for the gaming industry has turned out great. MS is a smart company and has views for the future but that's not to say that the competition is lagging. Sony has the biggest part of gaming for two generations in a row, absolute market domination. MS is going to have a alot of trouble if they have the #1 spot in the back of their mind.

Well, I know this topic is hiting a nerv for Sony loyalists :)
I actually think you are right, the PS4 is a 360+.
Not that it is a bad thing, after all better CPU/GPU and memory is the right thing to do.
This is exactly what I was thinking after watching the PS4 reveal...

Microsoft in the other hand is really trying some innovations even if it is more risky.
But can we blame Sony for playing the safe way after what gappen with the PS3? (Financial)

Alright now Sony fans are going to jump out of their chair and bash my post like crazy hehe...