By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Xbox One

Barozi said:
Euphoria14 said:
Barozi said:

Ryse still has (optional) Kinect motion features though and I bet Crimson Dragon is fully Kinect controllable (like Child of Eden).

I mean many people wanted to be able to mix Kinect with traditional controllers. Now it's happening, while still having Kinect "exclusives". I doubt Kinect Sports Rivals will have any controller support (except for the menus).

Did they show any kinect gameplay by any chance?

Crytek said they had 3 different demos for Ryse at E3 and one was Kinect centric.
No gameplay of Kinect Sports Rivals was shown
The new Harmonix game (Fantasia) was played live at the Gametrailers pre-show.

Will need to try and see if anyone has a gameplay video of Ryse with Kinect controls then.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
walsufnir said:

1080p, 60 fps and please no tearing. But I would also be fine with 720p and *decent* AA. A solid 30 fps would also be ok to me - Halo 4 ran fluid.

To be honest i don't see why either the Xbox One or PS4 will ever go back to 720p. Both GPU's are pretty much designed around full HD. 30FPS on the other hand will probably be the norm for the more graphically intense games.

Easy - computational limits :) If you want to draw more polys then you have to sacrifice computing-ressources. So to have better models, more viewing-distance and no tearing, I would gladly exchange 1080p for 720p with decent AA.

Man, Forza is knocking it out of the park.

i came in looking for a digital foundry article so i'm kind of disappointed in the lack of any real details. this is basically an impressions piece with a heavy dose of speculative fear-mongering.

walsufnir said:
Shinobi-san said:
walsufnir said:

1080p, 60 fps and please no tearing. But I would also be fine with 720p and *decent* AA. A solid 30 fps would also be ok to me - Halo 4 ran fluid.

To be honest i don't see why either the Xbox One or PS4 will ever go back to 720p. Both GPU's are pretty much designed around full HD. 30FPS on the other hand will probably be the norm for the more graphically intense games.

Easy - computational limits :) If you want to draw more polys then you have to sacrifice computing-ressources. So to have better models, more viewing-distance and no tearing, I would gladly exchange 1080p for 720p with decent AA.

I get that...but the trade off is too big.

You can have great draw distance, better models , better effects etc. but none of those things will have a better effect on IQ than a high native resolution.

It just doesnt make sense to me. As a PC gamer whose been playing all hes games a 1080p for last few years...nothing on consoles impresses. Nothing. It can have all the bells and whistles and stuff but it just doesnt match up to a clear and crisp image. Its the most obvious and perceivable aspect in visuals, and i dont see why devs will compromise on this when they really dont need to.

Edit: i forgot to add that there are other resolutions in between 720p and 1080 which devs might go to and then upscale from there to 1080p. I see devs doing that and cutting to 30FPS before moving to 720p.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
walsufnir said:

I get that...but the trade off is too big.

You can have great draw distance, better models , better effects etc. but none of those things will have a better effect on IQ than a high native resolution.

It just doesnt make sense to me. As a PC gamer whose been playing all hes games a 1080p for last few years...nothing on consoles impresses. Nothing. It can have all the bells and whistles and stuff but it just doesnt match up to a clear and crisp image. Its the most obvious and perceivable aspect in visuals, and i dont see why devs will compromise on this when they really dont need to.

Edit: i forgot to add that there are other resolutions in between 720p and 1080 which devs might go to and then upscale from there to 1080p. I see devs doing that and cutting to 30FPS before moving to 720p.

Well, it's hard to argue with PC-gamers as they have different standards. If I would spend more money in my hobby I would expect of course graphics at a certain level and if it doesn't I upgrade my PC. This doesn't happen to consoles. I would like every game 1080p60 but I doubt we will see that as a standard. But at least launch-games do so and they still look impressive to me so there is hope.

Would be nice.  Considering many games this gen run SUB x720 native, you would expect to see that as the ABSOLUTE floor.  But it seems like competition will make x1080 native resolution the new standard. 

Also,

"...but just as with this current generation, enjoying every major game release is still set to be the preserve of a multi-platform owner."

Truth.  It's about the games.  I will mostly likely own an Xbox One, just not on launch day.  I want to see how all the DRM stuff pans out IN ACTUALITY.

PS4 is a maybe this year, depending on final launch line up reviews.  Wii U once Mario Kart 8 and/or a price drop hits.

kitler53 said:
i came in looking for a digital foundry article so i'm kind of disappointed in the lack of any real details. this is basically an impressions piece with a heavy dose of speculative fear-mongering.

What do you expect them to do? It's not like they got their hands on an actual dev kit with a copy of the games to run their in-depth tests in their lab. -__-

Hynad said:
kitler53 said:

What do you expect them to do? It's not like they got their hands on an actual dev kit with a copy of the games to run their in-depth tests in their lab. -__-

thread title states:  Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Xbox One.  I guess i expected that somehow they did get an actual dev kit.

kitler53 said:
Hynad said:
kitler53 said:

thread title states:  Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Xbox One.  I guess i expected that somehow they did get an actual dev kit.

Yeah, I guess the title could be misleading. I came in expecting the piece to be about their limited time spent on the console at E3...