By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Can Solve All Its Wii U Problems With Metroid

jayson1 said:
Nintendo is going down like the titanic. They will end up stopping production of Wii U and just sell games like SEGA!

Do you really believe that? People have been saying that Nintendo would go down since the N64. 

N64 and GC showed that Nintendo can survive without a major selling system. They still make a profit. Besides, the 3DS is going to make them a crap ton of money like all their other HH's did.

Sega had 2 failed systems in a row with dramatic loses.

Around the Network
Cold-Flipper said:
MTZehvor said:

Star Fox 64 3D has a comparable remake in Metroid: Zero Mission, and Assault was outsold by the 2D Metroid titles as well, so it's easily comparable. Uprising was also outsold by all but two of the portable Metroid titles (and neither of the two it outsold are particularly fair to Metroid as one was a remake and the other was barely even a Metroid game to begin with, as well as being overshadowed by the launch of Corruption next year).

Wario's a bit of an interesting series. Smooth Moves certainly sold well, but Shake It (which came out two years afterwards) sold rather poorly and even less than Other M. All of the recent portable titles have sold less than just about any portable Metroid as well, so on average I would say that contest goes to Metroid. 

And yes, I would say Nintendo has certainly become more "core gamer-focused." Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get that new F-Zero I've been wanting for a while, but Nintendo's E3 this year should have been all it took to realize that they're at least heading in the direction of being more focused on the core instead of the casual. 

Kind of a shame that I can't say that E3 brought back any sort of confidence in me for Nintendo's ability to innovate.

You can't really compare newer games with sales of older games because popularity changes and different factors like who developed the game certainly makes a difference. I'm just saying if Retro made a Star Fox and Metroid on Wii U, my money would be on Star Fox to sell more.

Certain series I guess are roughly even, and Pikmin is also still debatable but we shall see with Pikmin 3. Either way, Metroid still gets outsold by:

• Super Mario (2D/3D)
  • Mario Kart
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario Party
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Donkey Kong
  • Zelda
  • Animal Crossing
  • Kirby
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Wii Series
  • Pokemon
  • Nintendogs
  • Professor Layton

I would still classify as pretty low on the totem pole.

To me, nearly every game on Wii U so far could've been a Wii game in terms of how core they are. With that said, I'm fine with that since I liked the Wii. They could be a bit more core though I guess. Does Nintendo really need to innovate like the DS or Wii? To me the games still look very Nintendo.  Have yet to play them though so I can't judge.

I'm certainly not going to argue that Metroid is anywhere near the top of the list, especially in sales. But the issue here is that the list of games Nintendo develops and/or publishes is huge, so compared to the average Nintendo published title, yes, it sells fairly well.

And considering that Nintendo can usually only release one of the titles per series you mentioned every three years without said series going stale (except for Mario, which Nintendo apparently believes can never go stale), Metroid is consistently up there as one of those series that gets kicked around a lot even though it doesn't sell way up there with some other series. The fact that it has an incredibly dedicated fan base, as well being one of the few "mature" series Nintendo has, gives it a sense of lasting impact and importance that most series with its sales wouldn't.

So I think saying it's "low on the totem pole" is selling it short.

TBH I think Nintendo has more chances fixing the WiiU with GTAV than Metroid.

Metroid isn't mainstream enough, which is a shame in itself.

I disgaree with most posts here, if they make a beautiful Metroid game that truly does take full advantage of the Wii U with good online multiplayer, then it will give hardcore gamers a reason to buy the console. Problem is, since we know Retro's game ISN'T Metroid.. they will no longer be able to wow us because by the time 3 years comes by and we're at E3 2016 awaiting Retro's new game. It's PS360 graphics won't be able to wow us. Which is why it was a dumb idea to do a Donkey Kong, even if they didn't make Metroid. Something that would have took full advantage of the system would have been in their best interest.

Cobretti2 said:
TBH I think Nintendo has more chances fixing the WiiU with GTAV than Metroid.

Metroid isn't mainstream enough, which is a shame in itself.

Unfortunately...I doubt that would work, either. At least, not at the moment.

The problem is that GTA is far more easily accessible by crowds on other (cheaper) consoles than Metroid is. I doubt it would sell past a million, as un-optimistic as that sounds. Metroid, on the other hand, is exclusively Nintendo...and Nintendo needs exclusives (reasons to buy a Wii U) at the moment.

Now, if they could somehow get GTA as an exclusive...then definitely.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:

I'm certainly not going to argue that Metroid is anywhere near the top of the list, especially in sales. But the issue here is that the list of games Nintendo develops and/or publishes is huge, so compared to the average Nintendo published title, yes, it sells fairly well.

And considering that Nintendo can usually only release one of the titles per series you mentioned every three years without said series going stale (except for Mario, which Nintendo apparently believes can never go stale), Metroid is consistently up there as one of those series that gets kicked around a lot even though it doesn't sell way up there with some other series. The fact that it has an incredibly dedicated fan base, as well being one of the few "mature" series Nintendo has, gives it a sense of lasting impact and importance that most series with its sales wouldn't.

So I think saying it's "low on the totem pole" is selling it short.

Metroid does sell pretty well at the end of the day. Each game manages to reach 1 Million on a single system so, pretty solid. The thing is, Nintendo has so many series that sell a lot, so Metroid's sales look relatively low in comparison. 

You are right, considering its sales, it gets talked about a lot within gaming. It is critical acclaimed, and often considered as a Nintendo "big gun" along with Super Mario, and Zelda. That is impressive. I'm just saying only taking sales into account, Metroid is one of Nintendo's weaker series.

While we're at it, Zelda isn't in the Top 5 either when it comes to sales. Super Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Super Smash Bros are all bigger. 

jayson1 said:
Nintendo is going down like the titanic. They will end up stopping production of Wii U and just sell games like SEGA!

sure and Xbox One will sell 1bil this gen

Click HERE and be happy 

So let me break this down.

A week ago a project on Kickstarter was launched and the title was: Metroid: Enemies Within (A Metroid Fan Film).

When I first saw this I was intrigued but not exactly in a good way. A fan is making a Metroid film? Good luck.

As I read on though I found out this was being doing by professionals in the industry who just happened to be huge Metroid fans. Then a few days later the creators did a podcast for a website in which they talked in great length and detail and Metroid: Enemies Within. After listening to it I knew this had to be made.

Now a lot of people are doubting this will work for the simple reason that Nintendo will shut it down. And though that could happen it hasn't yet, so why not donate? If it gets stopped you get your money back, if it doesn't you helped fund a great project.

What it all boils down to is that we honestly don't have anything Metroid to look forward to, unless you count Samus in Smash Bros. but let's be honest that's not enough. The people who are developing this are Metroid fans, they're making this for Metroid fans, they want to prove that Samus Aran can work in a film. They are passionate about this, much like us gamers are about our games, so why not help them out? Let's make a dream come true and get a cool short film in the process.

Then if we invest in this and Nintendo sees it they'll be more likely to put a Metroid game on the fastrack! That's killing two birds with one stone!

Below are the links you need. The first is the Kickstarter Page, the second is the link to the interview where they talk about EVERYTHING you might ask them, the final is a blog done by me as I state why we need to have faith and come together as a gaming community to help make this happen. I also relay a plan on how to do this without breaking the bank.

This really should happen, so please donate and help spread the word, we deserve this Nintendo and Metroid fans, let's make it happen!

Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/massivestate/metroid-enemies-within-a-metroid-fan-film

Interview: http://twodashstash.com/2013/08/tds-games-cast-7-metroid-enemy-within-special/

Blog: http://www.ign.com/blogs/guardianike33/2013/08/12/metroid-enemies-within-needs-to-be-made/

In case you didn't know, I have a comic book called Guardians. I'm the writer/creator of it, and we have four issues out right now, with our fifth coming out soon!

We're also doing a Patreon right now for the comic, and I'd appreciate any and all help in getting it funded. If 56 people pledged $3 per issue, we'll be funded

To pledge, click here. Please join Team Guardians!

BossPuma said:
A hardcore Metroid game with beautiful graphics would definitely shut some haters up

Agreed. But I have a feeling that Metroid this gen will do what it did in the N64 gen, skip it.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Nintendo, make a fucking Metroid game already. i don't even care if it's a triology HD, it's a good franchise that releases TOO INFREQUENTLY. if you market it right, maybe it'd be big in the west (since japan doesn't care about Metroid for some reason...)