By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Can Solve All Its Wii U Problems With Metroid

Cold-Flipper said:

MTZehvor said:

A new Metroid certainly won't be released until late 2015 at the earliest now, which would give the Wii U two and a half more years to have its install base grow (with titles like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, Mario 3D World Super, and Zelda to boost the size of the Wii U community). Combine that with HD graphics and the fact that the Wii U will hopefully be far more "hardcore" friendly than the Wii was (on which Metroid Prime 3 sold 1.7 million), and the fact that Metroid games typically do better after a hiatus of sorts, and 2 million is well within reach, if not the bare minimum. 

And Metroid is nowhere near the bottom of the Nintendo food chain. Certainly, titles such as Pokemon, Mario/Nintendo's plethora of 2D platformers, and Zelda all outsell it, but it's still far ahead of the majority of Nintendo IPs (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Wario, Pikmin, recent Star Fox titles, F-Zero, Earthbound, etc.).

You have to remember that the Wii wasn't all casuals. The big Nintendo fans purchased one as did much of the core crowd. When you sell nearly 100 Million systems, you can't just generalize and say it belonged to a single audience. Plus, while Nintendo has said to be more gamer focused, is that really the case? Sure, they have made attempts by getting a few platinum games, and finally decided to do Pikmin 3. When you look at most of it though, are they really focusing on core gamers? 

Metroid is certainly at the bottom of the recent Nintendo food chain for sure. You can't really judge the MIA games because we have no sales to compare it to. Nearly each series you mentioned hasn't had a game for a while now. Remakes obviously don't count. The only ones to compare from your list are Wario, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus. Smooth Moves outsold Prime 3 by a good amount, and KId Icarus on 3DS has outsold any recent HH Metroid. Fire Emblem is the only one that isn't debatable, Metroid sells better.

I really wouldn't be surprised at all if Pikmin, Star Fox, F-Zero, and Kid Icarus all outsell Metroid on Wii U. Especially, Pikmin. That game has the Japan support that gives it a big advantage over Metroid, kind of like Kirby.

Star Fox 64 3D has a comparable remake in Metroid: Zero Mission, and Assault was outsold by the 2D Metroid titles as well, so it's easily comparable. Uprising was also outsold by all but two of the portable Metroid titles (and neither of the two it outsold are particularly fair to Metroid as one was a remake and the other was barely even a Metroid game to begin with, as well as being overshadowed by the launch of Corruption next year).

Wario's a bit of an interesting series. Smooth Moves certainly sold well, but Shake It (which came out two years afterwards) sold rather poorly and even less than Other M. All of the recent portable titles have sold less than just about any portable Metroid as well, so on average I would say that contest goes to Metroid. 

And yes, I would say Nintendo has certainly become more "core gamer-focused." Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get that new F-Zero I've been wanting for a while, but Nintendo's E3 this year should have been all it took to realize that they're at least heading in the direction of being more focused on the core instead of the casual. 

Kind of a shame that I can't say that E3 brought back any sort of confidence in me for Nintendo's ability to innovate.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:

Star Fox 64 3D has a comparable remake in Metroid: Zero Mission, and Assault was outsold by the 2D Metroid titles as well, so it's easily comparable. Uprising was also outsold by all but two of the portable Metroid titles (and neither of the two it outsold are particularly fair to Metroid as one was a remake and the other was barely even a Metroid game to begin with, as well as being overshadowed by the launch of Corruption next year).

Wario's a bit of an interesting series. Smooth Moves certainly sold well, but Shake It (which came out two years afterwards) sold rather poorly and even less than Other M. All of the recent portable titles have sold less than just about any portable Metroid as well, so on average I would say that contest goes to Metroid. 

And yes, I would say Nintendo has certainly become more "core gamer-focused." Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get that new F-Zero I've been wanting for a while, but Nintendo's E3 this year should have been all it took to realize that they're at least heading in the direction of being more focused on the core instead of the casual. 

Kind of a shame that I can't say that E3 brought back any sort of confidence in me for Nintendo's ability to innovate.

You can't really compare newer games with sales of older games because popularity changes and different factors like who developed the game certainly makes a difference. I'm just saying if Retro made a Star Fox and Metroid on Wii U, my money would be on Star Fox to sell more.

Certain series I guess are roughly even, and Pikmin is also still debatable but we shall see with Pikmin 3. Either way, Metroid still gets outsold by:

• Super Mario (2D/3D)
  • Mario Kart
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario Party
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Donkey Kong
  • Zelda
  • Animal Crossing
  • Kirby
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Wii Series
  • Pokemon
  • Nintendogs
  • Professor Layton

I would still classify as pretty low on the totem pole.

To me, nearly every game on Wii U so far could've been a Wii game in terms of how core they are. With that said, I'm fine with that since I liked the Wii. They could be a bit more core though I guess. Does Nintendo really need to innovate like the DS or Wii? To me the games still look very Nintendo.  Have yet to play them though so I can't judge.

superchunk said:
Metroid has never been a system seller.

HOWEVER,

If they made a great solo-experience (building from Super Metroid) as required for said series and then add a FPS style multiplayer with big maps, holes to roll through, various limited upgrades, 24v24 (as min) sized battles and all the many player options that are seen in other shooters... it could be a new hit.

Playable characters as various samus types, other bounty hunters with similar skills, space pirates with special flying capabilities to offset no ball usage, etc... I think it would be awesome.

But people want a Metroid game not Call of Duty.

DevilRising said:
IsawYoshi said:
A new ip would make a bigger impact.

Depends entirely on what that new IP was.

Miyamoto did say some time ago that he was working a new "little project". Some kind of new IP. So who knows?

I was a bit unprecise. I meant a new IP that played like Metroid. It would be better for the gaming community that Nintendo mde something new for them, rather than Nintendo "just making a new Metroid game."

That said, it would be better if the new IP didn't play like Metroid, but maybe like Skyrim or something.

ChrolloLucilfer said:
Hopefully Retro next project maybe combing their experience of Metroid with 2D platforming of Donkey Kong Wii U. So we finally get a true 2D home console sequel to Super Metroid in HD.

No thank you. I don't want Retro to make a 2.5D Metroid, because I don't want a 2.5D Metroid period. I'd far rather have a good sprite based one, fully 2D, so that the game physics actually work right, and the game looks gorgeous, etc. Metroid Prime did things I never thought possible with the franchise as far as 3D goes. But even with that said, Metroid is one of many classic franchises (such as Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra, etc.) that quite simply belong in 2D.

Around the Network
EricFabian said:

Firts, I am huge fan of 2D games and know there is a huge market for then. I just don't agree with another 2D Metroid for a home console. And yes, I played Muramasa and LOVE IT.

Well then you have to at least admit the potential for an epic 2D, fully HD, hand drawn Super Metroid follow up could be amazing. I'd rather see it on Wii U than 3DS, by far. I think 2D Metroid is "big" enough that it deserves the full HD, big screen treatment, and using the GamePad to have access to your map, etc., would be fantastic. I can always dream, right?

DevilRising said:
EricFabian said:

Firts, I am huge fan of 2D games and know there is a huge market for then. I just don't agree with another 2D Metroid for a home console. And yes, I played Muramasa and LOVE IT.

Well then you have to at least admit the potential for an epic 2D, fully HD, hand drawn Super Metroid follow up could be amazing. I'd rather see it on Wii U than 3DS, by far. I think 2D Metroid is "big" enough that it deserves the full HD, big screen treatment, and using the GamePad to have access to your map, etc., would be fantastic. I can always dream, right?

I still dream for a new Star Fox, so yes, everyone can dream

Click HERE and be happy 

AgentZorn said:
superchunk said:
Metroid has never been a system seller.

HOWEVER,

If they made a great solo-experience (building from Super Metroid) as required for said series and then add a FPS style multiplayer with big maps, holes to roll through, various limited upgrades, 24v24 (as min) sized battles and all the many player options that are seen in other shooters... it could be a new hit.

Playable characters as various samus types, other bounty hunters with similar skills, space pirates with special flying capabilities to offset no ball usage, etc... I think it would be awesome.

But people want a Metroid game not Call of Duty.

Did you miss the part where I said it would have a great solo-experience as expected in Metroid games?

I'm only adding a secondary multiplayer experience that would be metroid-esque, provide long-term value and hit the more FPS mass market.

So metroid fans get the game they expect as well as opening up the series to a new group of people.

I don't think Metroid would do it.. now maybe a Metroid, with Kirby, Punch Out, and a kick ass Custom Robo type thing.. yeah that might move some systems..or.. they could just release a Fire Emblem and Zelda..

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Nintendo is going down like the titanic. They will end up stopping production of Wii U and just sell games like SEGA!

Moderated,

-Mr Khan