By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Can Solve All Its Wii U Problems With Metroid

snowdog said:
Rather than a new Metroid, Nintendo would have been better of bringing 2 very important things to the Wii U for launch day:

1) An FPS game with a solid online multiplayer

2) A driving sim with a solid online multiplayer

Those are two unexploited genres completely missing from their arsenal of first party titles and are also attractive to Western gamers.

so basically, Metroid Prime 4 with online mode and F-Zero :P

Around the Network
Dannythegamer said:
After the disaster of Metroid Other M, Nintendo may dismiss Mr.Sakamoto.

Idk it sold along the lines of all the previous installements, which is about 1-1.5 million. The original on NES and the first Prime were the only ones to sell over 2 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

AndrewWK said:
I call bullshit on that. Metroid didn´t had any impact ever since the Snes era, and it is not even remotely as big as some people are making it.

Games that will impact the Wii U are SSB, Mario Kart and Zelda.

The gamecube had two amazing zelda games, the best super smash bros game, and a great Mario Kart game. It sold 20mil.

There is probably many nintendo fans that are holding out will be persuaded to get the Wii U when these games come out. The problem is that will only get the Wii U up to around 20-30million in sales. What the Wii U needs is games that will expand their audience.

The Wii sold amazingly because of the unique controls and games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, Guitar Hero, and Zumba. These are the types of games that attracted an entirely new audience, not the classic nintendo games. Of course the more casual nintendo games like 2D mario and Mario Kart got a huge boost of sales from this audience, but as we saw with NSMBU, these games alone probably aren't enough to win over this audience. I don't think any sequel will be able to do that.

Nintendo will have to make some games that are radically different than anything out there to win these people over again. Now I personally wouldn't mind if nintendo just stuck to their classic franchises, but if they do how could sales possibly be much better than the gamecube's or nintendo 64's.

This is where Sony and Microsoft's massive third party support is so beneficial. There are probably 7 million people that bought a 360 for Halo,  5million more for GTA, 10million  for EASports games, 5million for Assassin's Creed, 15million for kinect, 20million for CoD, etc. There is obviously some overlap, but there is enough of a wide variety of popular games that the console will manage 80mil+ sales. Same goes with the Playstation 3 with its respective big sellers.

Nintendo consoles on the other hand might have 30million mario fans, 7million zelda fans, and 2million metroid fans, but of those 7million zelda fans, 6million are part of the mario fanbase, and nearly all the metroid fans make up part of the zelda and mario fanbase. There is a huge overlap in nintendo's more niche franchises, and nintendo just doesn't have enough huge classic console franchises to make up for this overlap. The reason the Wii managed to be a smashing hit is because not only did it have those 30million hardcore nintendo fans, it also had the 70million fans of Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Just Dance.

MohammadBadir said:
snowdog said:
Rather than a new Metroid, Nintendo would have been better of bringing 2 very important things to the Wii U for launch day:

Those are two unexploited genres completely missing from their arsenal of first party titles and are also attractive to Western gamers.

How about since the Wii U is supposed to have SO MUCH POWA! they could end up doing a Dreamcast Bleem for it and have a disk you plug in that will be able to run the latest Gran Turismo game coming out for the PS3 on the WiiU

Mr. Khan: huh. Ok. It told me I needed 50. But if they upgraded it to have 100 that's fine. I talk in a lot of topics anyway so it won't take long.

In case you didn't know, I have a comic book called Guardians. I'm the writer/creator of it, and we have four issues out right now, with our fifth coming out soon!

We're also doing a Patreon right now for the comic, and I'd appreciate any and all help in getting it funded. If 56 people pledged $3 per issue, we'll be funded

To pledge, click here. Please join Team Guardians!

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
snowdog said:

No mate. Metroid Prime isn't an FPS and F-Zero isn't the sort of racing sim I was referring to. I basically meant a Halo/Killzone equivalent (although not necessarily a sci-fi game) and a Forza/GT equivalent.

enrageorange said:
AndrewWK said:
I call bullshit on that. Metroid didn´t had any impact ever since the Snes era, and it is not even remotely as big as some people are making it.

Games that will impact the Wii U are SSB, Mario Kart and Zelda.

The gamecube had two amazing zelda games, the best super smash bros game, and a great Mario Kart game. It sold 20mil.

There is probably many nintendo fans that are holding out will be persuaded to get the Wii U when these games come out. The problem is that will only get the Wii U up to around 20-30million in sales. What the Wii U needs is games that will expand their audience.

The Wii sold amazingly because of the unique controls and games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, Guitar Hero, and Zumba. These are the types of games that attracted an entirely new audience, not the classic nintendo games. Of course the more casual nintendo games like 2D mario and Mario Kart got a huge boost of sales from this audience, but as we saw with NSMBU, these games alone probably aren't enough to win over this audience. I don't think any sequel will be able to do that.

Nintendo will have to make some games that are radically different than anything out there to win these people over again. Now I personally wouldn't mind if nintendo just stuck to their classic franchises, but if they do how could sales possibly be much better than the gamecube's or nintendo 64's.

This is where Sony and Microsoft's massive third party support is so beneficial. There are probably 7 million people that bought a 360 for Halo,  5million more for GTA, 10million  for EASports games, 5million for Assassin's Creed, 15million for kinect, 20million for CoD, etc. There is obviously some overlap, but there is enough of a wide variety of popular games that the console will manage 80mil+ sales. Same goes with the Playstation 3 with its respective big sellers.

Nintendo consoles on the other hand might have 30million mario fans, 7million zelda fans, and 2million metroid fans, but of those 7million zelda fans, 6million are part of the mario fanbase, and nearly all the metroid fans make up part of the zelda and mario fanbase. There is a huge overlap in nintendo's more niche franchises, and nintendo just doesn't have enough huge classic console franchises to make up for this overlap. The reason the Wii managed to be a smashing hit is because not only did it have those 30million hardcore nintendo fans, it also had the 70million fans of Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Just Dance.

Good point, agreed.

Now AC, CoD, Batman are coming to wii U, but few people are buing it. Cos they still are in ps360.

But Ok, they need more third parties to work like worked in ps360.

So, with the difficulty to bring third parties massively to wii U, the best point would be investing in wii sport, fit and dance? there are 70 mil fans of these games! (maybe 15 mil went to x360, so arround 55 mil still)

Metroid is not that appealing of a franchise. It targets the Microsoft Xbox crowd, but they already have ~150 gaming franchises that are very similar to Metroid, and more appealing.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.