By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Multiplayer behind PSN+ will hurt online games not called CoD

my whole thing is how are they going to market ps+ for cross gen games like cod or bf

for example when you see a commercial for bf it cant just say paid online or just free online since its for both the ps3 and the ps4

Around the Network

1. Just looka the sales charts. PS3 is very much FPS-centric as much as many would love to deny it. The FPS genre popularity will only grow on PS4 as Xbox fans migrate to the platform. Do you know why games like Uncharted and Killzone made their multiplayer free to play? Uncharted is story focused so for most multiplayer is an after-thought. With Killzone it's just not popular enought o compete with Call of Duty and Battlefield. Having multiplayer behind paywall is Sony's way of making PSN the go-to platform for multiplayer gaming. 

2. This has nothing to do with Sony. If a game doesn't sell well enough to support a healthy online community, that's on the developer. Maybe they didn't make the game good enough, maybe people just moved on? All those games you listed have low sales so therefore will have a low playerbase.

3. Deal With It. You can't always get what you want and although I rarely admit it, PSN needs some cash thrown its way. I'll gladly pay to make it a better service.

Funny how you complain about Tekken Tag 2 having a poor online community when they just released a free Tekken game on PSN called "Tekken Revolution". You should check it out. It probalby has a better online community the TTT2.

Wright said:
cmeese47 said:
You are paying for PS+ you get great games for free as well as access to multi player etc. If you think this is bad for gamers then you are wrong. Live really offer nothing but profits for 360 and still people paid for it year after year.

Live gives you free games that once you stop paying, you keep playing. If you stop playing for PS plus you don't keep playing your PS+ games.

Both models are bad for gaming, think about it before making absurds comparisons and derailing the thread.

1. You're wrong. For example one of the first games given out on live is Halo 3 right? YOU NEED XBL GOLD TO PLAY THAT GAME. So even if you could continue playing single-player, why would you? Multiplayer is what keeps people playing and it would be useless without it.

2. Also, PS Plus not only gives you more games per month, but they tend to not be 5 years old. PS Plus gives you free games that released during the last year.

3. Why would you stop paying for Plus when you are getting all these free games anyway? On PS4, you need Plus to play multiplayer so that's another reason to continue paying.

4. Games can be beaten within days. It doesn't matter if you lose access to it once your subscription runs out, you already beat the game lmfao. It's not like the game gets deleted off your HDD, it stays there and renewing your PS+ sub takes seconds. You even have the option of buying 3-month subscriptions.

If you don't already have ps+ you're doing something wrong.
It's not just a paywall. It's a subscription you should have anyway, and you'll likely be getting their cloud service too for the same price.

Ive got no problem paying under $5 a month for plus , In my eyes that's great value and its packed with free gear.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Wright said:
cmeese47 said:
You are paying for PS+ you get great games for free as well as access to multi player etc. If you think this is bad for gamers then you are wrong. Live really offer nothing but profits for 360 and still people paid for it year after year.

Live gives you free games that once you stop paying, you keep playing. If you stop playing for PS plus you don't keep playing your PS+ games.

Both models are bad for gaming, think about it before making absurds comparisons and derailing the thread.

1. You're wrong. For example one of the first games given out on live is Halo 3 right? YOU NEED XBL GOLD TO PLAY THAT GAME. So even if you could continue playing single-player, why would you? Multiplayer is what keeps people playing and it would be useless without it.

2. Also, PS Plus not only gives you more games per month, but they tend to not be 5 years old. PS Plus gives you free games that released during the last year.

3. Why would you stop paying for Plus when you are getting all these free games anyway? On PS4, you need Plus to play multiplayer so that's another reason to continue paying.

4. Games can be beaten within days. It doesn't matter if you lose access to it once your subscription runs out, you already beat the game lmfao. It's not like the game gets deleted off your HDD, it stays there and renewing your PS+ sub takes seconds. You even have the option of buying 3-month subscriptions.

1.- Assassin's Creed 2 needs Gold too?

2.- This is a new model for Live. So long, I'm not complaining. Not the best of the starts, but not bad either.

3.- But that's precisely what turns some people off. Keep on paying.

4.- That's cool for, let's say, The Cave or Vanquish. But try beating Demon's Souls or X-COM within days. You'll find yourself buying 3-months subscriptions or renewing another month if you want to finish it.

theprof00 said:
If you don't already have ps+ you're doing something wrong.
It's not just a paywall. It's a subscription you should have anyway, and you'll likely be getting their cloud service too for the same price.

The only reason I don't have PS Plus...fucking 8gb Vita memory stick.

Or you spend 50 dollars and get the games for 12 months then renew and now you got those games for 24 months. My hard drive is not even big enough to hold all the free stuff PS+ has given me.

cmeese47 said:
Or you spend 50 dollars and get the games for 12 months then renew and now you got those games for 24 months. My hard drive is not even big enough to hold all the free stuff PS+ has given me.

Stop paying = stop playing. PS+ games ain't free, but nice, long rentals, buddy.

It sucks that psn is now having to be pay to play. The only positive I can think of is that now the playstation community will have sets of games that everyone will be forced to at least have a chance playing them if that makes sense. The quality of games offered better not go downhill though or I will be mad.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius