By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Multiplayer behind PSN+ will hurt online games not called CoD

VGKing said:

1. Just looka the sales charts. PS3 is very much FPS-centric as much as many would love to deny it. The FPS genre popularity will only grow on PS4 as Xbox fans migrate to the platform. Do you know why games like Uncharted and Killzone made their multiplayer free to play? Uncharted is story focused so for most multiplayer is an after-thought. With Killzone it's just not popular enought o compete with Call of Duty and Battlefield. Having multiplayer behind paywall is Sony's way of making PSN the go-to platform for multiplayer gaming. 

2. This has nothing to do with Sony. If a game doesn't sell well enough to support a healthy online community, that's on the developer. Maybe they didn't make the game good enough, maybe people just moved on? All those games you listed have low sales so therefore will have a low playerbase.

3. Deal With It. You can't always get what you want and although I rarely admit it, PSN needs some cash thrown its way. I'll gladly pay to make it a better service.

Funny how you complain about Tekken Tag 2 having a poor online community when they just released a free Tekken game on PSN called "Tekken Revolution". You should check it out. It probalby has a better online community the TTT2.

"Having multiplayer behind paywall is Sony's way of making PSN the go-to platform for multiplayer gaming. "

Around the Network

Well that has been the case with the Xbox 360. The online multiplayer cannot be played for many older games or games that have not sold that well because nobody is online.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Just popped in here to say that Dota 2 didn't "go free." It was always built as a F2P game....

Wright said:
Hawkeyejonjon said:
Wright said:

1.- Assassin's Creed 2 needs Gold too?

2.- This is a new model for Live. So long, I'm not complaining. Not the best of the starts, but not bad either.

3.- But that's precisely what turns some people off. Keep on paying.

4.- That's cool for, let's say, The Cave or Vanquish. But try beating Demon's Souls or X-COM within days. You'll find yourself buying 3-months subscriptions or renewing another month if you want to finish it.

1 by all terms yes

2 it isn't the new model for live when it will only last till the Xbox One releases (yes the two free games will stop in November)

3 Than don't pay and play single player (it sucks but that is how it is and how much it costs to keep the network up and with them in a financial problem i can understand why they want to charge online.  I had XBL and didn't mind so this will not affect me)

4 those two games are awesome but understand what you mean 

I can understand some peoples problem with this but i don't think much people care. 

1.- Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't have any online portion, except for DLC. So Gold is not required.

2.- Source?

3.- This entire point is what we're discussing, buddy.

4.- There are more examples!

1 No but it needs Gold to download it is what i meant

2 Kotaku, "Existing Xbox Live Gold members will begin receiving two free games per month until the launch of the Xbox One in November. The first two games will be Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed II. Fable III was already made free to Gold subscribers earlier today." Source: http://kotaku.com/existing-xbox-live-gold-members-will-begin-receiving-tw-512305727

4 Yeah and all i said they were great games and wrote understand what you mean so i don't need more examples

Hawkeyejonjon said:

1 No but it needs Gold to download it is what i meant

2 Kotaku, "Existing Xbox Live Gold members will begin receiving two free games per month until the launch of the Xbox One in November. The first two games will be Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed II. Fable III was already made free to Gold subscribers earlier today." Source: http://kotaku.com/existing-xbox-live-gold-members-will-begin-receiving-tw-512305727

4 Yeah and all i said they were great games and wrote understand what you mean so i don't need more examples

1.- But we are not talking the fact that you need Gold to download it, but that you need Gold to keep playing it. VGKing put the example as in "If you want to play Halo 3 online, you need to pay for Gold". That's not the case with Assassin's Creed 2.

2.- Thanks for the tip.

4.- Now we agree

Around the Network

nothing in this world is really free.

oldschoolfool said:

That's not true.

Wright said:
oldschoolfool said:

That's not true.

well,unless your lucky enough to win something in a contest. Everything has it's price. Just like those free to play games,there not really free,unless you don't want to get any were with them. 

oldschoolfool said:
Wright said:
oldschoolfool said:

That's not true.

well,unless your lucky enough to win something in a contest. Everything has it's price. Just like those free to play games,there not really free,unless you don't want to get any were with them. 

By saying that nothing in this world is really free, you're implying that everything can be measured and given a "price", for whatever currency you want to use. That's not true. You can't measure the will of some people, for example.

Wright said:

1.- Assassin's Creed 2 needs Gold too?

2.- This is a new model for Live. So long, I'm not complaining. Not the best of the starts, but not bad either.

3.- But that's precisely what turns some people off. Keep on paying.

4.- That's cool for, let's say, The Cave or Vanquish. But try beating Demon's Souls or X-COM within days. You'll find yourself buying 3-months subscriptions or renewing another month if you want to finish it.

Here's the thing, the free games on Plus are a bonus, not the main attraction. If you are the kind that likes to play games for months if not years, you're probably also the type to buy them Day 1 anyway. You're not going to play each and every game that is free on Plus. 3-Months is more than enough time to beat any game and that includes Demon's Souls.