By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top 10 Non Bundled 360 Vs Wii

well 360 is a software monster but wiis games in that list are still selling alot and will soon pass 360s

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
DSLover said:
Both very strong, good to see Zelda above Mario Party.

yea i am also happy to see it above it but i think MP will pass it

What is Wii play excactly, how is it sold?

is it a controller + wii play for $10 extra than just a controller? so its basically a bargin bin game? i mean bundle any game with a controller (most popular accessory) and see how well it sells.

if wii play is included so should the Burger King games i remember reading they passed 4 or 5m units sold. its the same premise as Wii Play.

why dosent someone make a cheap ass game like the burger king ones, bundle it with a bottle of coke and they will have the best selling game in history.

i didnt include wii play because of that, its a) a 10 game 1.5th of normal price. it has the incentive of the controller, people go out to buy additional controller and see controller + wii play for $10 more who wouldnt buy it? that makes it hard to compare to normal selling games,

DSLover said:

That won't last for a lot longer, but comfort yourself knowing Zelda also sold over 1M units on Gamecube. 

amiiam said:
Halo 3, GeoW and CoD4 were/are bundled (atleast in Europe).

certainly never officially, and I haven't seen those bundles (maybe apart from Halo 3)

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
DSLover said:

That won't last for a lot longer, but comfort yourself knowing Zelda also sold over 1M units on Gamecube. 

i have a feeling that MP8 will pass the combined sales of the gc and wii version of zelda tp

1: Halo 3 - 7.12

2: GOW - 4.94

3: COD 4 - 4.50

4: Assasins Creed - 3.25

5: Oblivion - 2.36

6: GH3 - 2.16

7: GRAW - 2.08

8: Vegas - 2.05

9: Madden 08 - 2.02

10: COD 2 - 2.01

Total Sales - 32.5/ Av 3.25m

First Party Games - 2

FINAL CORRECTED Wii list

1: SMG - 5.48

2: Zelda - 4.44

3: MP8 - 4.41

4: Mario And Sonic - 2.99

5. Wii Sports Japan - 2.78

6: Wario Ware - 2.22

7: SPM - 2.14

8: Big Brain Acadamy - 1.91

9: GH3 - 1.55

10: Resdient Evil 4 - 1.45

Total Sales - 29.3/ Av 2.93m

First Party Games - 8

really no way wii play should be bundled. just read what townzy said about his reasoning for it a few posts up. hey i'm a nintendo fanboy but including wii play just ain't right. still. being out a year less and the wii is right on the heels of 360 in terms of top 10 games with smg and M&S selling lots. And as soon as wii fit is launched in another territory its gonna blow by several of wii's top 10 games (and it'll get on the top 10 list in japan alone) and ssbb is gonna skip its way up to 2nd place on the wii by the end of march probably. so within a few months wii games could be beating 360 games in every place except for the top game. but by later this year smg and ssbb might both be in front of halo and then its all over.

analysis: 360 still currently is barely holding onto a lead in the top 10 games. with wii's rising cast of smg, M&S, wiifit, and brawl (and later on mario kart) the wii will soon have a huge lead in this list by summer with the only game to really rattle up 360's top 10 significantly probably being gta4.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Townzy_89 said:

Dont give me shit about Wii has been out half the time, it has sold 3m+ more consoles that more than makes up for it. 

Actually I am going to give you a bit of a hard time about your logic since your view of time is skewed.  One thing that you have to keep in mind is that over half of the current Xbox 360 owners have had their systems for over a year.  About 8M were sold before 1/1/2007.  Only 3 million people have owned their Wii as long.  And the Wii didn't overtake the 360 lead until mid August (at about 11M systems).  So while the Wii has since gone on to sell even more consoles and now enjoys an almost 4M unit lead, most owners have not had a lot of time to purchase games. 

Let's say the average console owner buys 3 games during each year of ownership.  That means that the 360, with it's one year head start, has had a lot more potential to sell games.  And your chart shows that it has taken advantage of that.  And anecdotally, it appears that the system appeals to the 'hardcore' cowd who buy more games than the 'casual' game players.

Speaking of the 'casuals', it appears that the Wii is owned mostly by them and the Nintendo loyalists.  First and foremost, most Wii owners get a free game with the system (US and Europe).  Heck, they get a second set of games with a Wiimote for $10 more.  And for those looking for another game, most of the third party titles suck.  Metacritic ratings bear that out.  So with less potential (bundled games, shorter duration of ownership, crappy third party titles, and a group of gamers who traditionally do not buy as many titles), the Wii has had lower game sales so far.

I do not believe that time will change the fact that Nintendo is a dominant publishing house and will have many of the top ten selling games on the system.  If they closed up the hardware shop and started making games for another system, I'm sure they would give EA, ActiBlizz, and everyone else a run for their money.  But with time will come better software, even more owners, and more potential for those owners to buy games.  I can't wait to see what the chart looks like in a year from now.  (I bet WiiFit will be on there! :) )

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

360 has very strong software sales, no questions asked. Here in Norway it had better software sales than both the Wii and the PS3 last quarter before 08 despite having a significantly smaller userbase!

Townzy_89 said:
What is Wii play excactly, how is it sold?

is it a controller + wii play for $10 extra than just a controller? so its basically a bargin bin game? i mean bundle any game with a controller (most popular accessory) and see how well it sells.

if wii play is included so should the Burger King games i remember reading they passed 4 or 5m units sold. its the same premise as Wii Play.

why dosent someone make a cheap ass game like the burger king ones, bundle it with a bottle of coke and they will have the best selling game in history.

i didnt include wii play because of that, its a) a 10 game 1.5th of normal price. it has the incentive of the controller, people go out to buy additional controller and see controller + wii play for $10 more who wouldnt buy it? that makes it hard to compare to normal selling games,

That's an interesting point, but one which I would disagree with.  Ask yourself these questions:

1. Should we not count Guitar Hero III or Dance Dance Revolution sales?  After all, these are bundled with a guitar or a dance mat.  I see Gamestop is selling a new Guitar Hero III guitar for $59.99...we shouldn't count GHIII sales since it is just $30 extra and not fair to compare it to $50/60 games.

2. Using your logic, shall we also not count sales of budget games released for $10-20 brand new?  What about Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, at $30?  Obviously these don't count as "normal" games because their prices are different?

3. Shall we also not count discounted software, or heavily discounted software?  Many of the games, especially on the 360 list, have been out for a while and can be found for a lot less than $60.  Shall we not count their sales after discount, using your logic?

If you are so concerned about pricing/bundling, count revenues. 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)