By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo’s Silent Victory at E3 2013

Anita Sarkeesian will be happy she can play the princess now

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
F0X said:
Depends. If E3 exists to drum up hype, then I think Sony won handily.

But if E3 is about showing off games (with actual gameplay) and giving gamers a sense of what stage each game is in the development process, then I'm leaning towards Nintendo.

The thread title does say "silent victory"

For Mii personally, it's about showing off the games and what the system can do, and as soon as I saw asymmetric gaming at E3 2011 and/or E3 2012 I am happy to see how gaming has advance even more then the WiiMote could do for Home Console gaming.

I didn't see E3 2013 to say anything about who I think won LOL.

But Nintendo won E3 2011 in the Handheld department and no competition when it came to Home Consoles with the reveal of the Wii U and it's Asymmetric Gaming at E3 2K11.

2010 gave Mii hope in gaming after the horrible 7th Gen. The 3DS showed me the light and the PICA200 showed Mii the 160Mtriangle/s the 3DS does for it's Polygons.

ListerOfSmeg said:
They really put Sony to shame, Its not wonder Sony copies everything they do even resorting to making their new console look like a Chinese Wii clone knock off. It might fool some people into buying PS4 but when they get home and see they have to pay even more and wont get access to Nintendo quality games but Sony clones they will be very upset. Between my Wii U and PC I will have access to any game I want, especially when the PS4 emulator is out. Sony got lucky with the PS1 and PS2 due to the market wanting them there but since the release of the PS2 it has become clear their dominance was shear dumb luck and they will never repeat it. I look forward to the day they go 3rd party and that wont be long into this gen considering they've made less money than Sega as a console maker and Sega never dominated like Sony did.

The PS1 was successful because it got exclusives be use it gave 3rd party developers 100% freedom to make any kind of game they want.

The PS2 was the successor and it was clear that games like Grand Theft Auto & Resident Evil & etc. were going to leave there beta-like games from PS1 and start being like the alphas they always were, but not be like an alpha for the first time in the PS2, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is one of my examples.

The PS3 was to hard to develop for so developers made games for the 360 and port them to the PS3 and decided to release on 360 as week since they had develop it on 360 Dev kit and production cost was a lot and who knows what other reasons. Plus the 360 was made by Microsoft to be a Death-trap to get console exclusive games to come to PC, and also to make it easy to port Xbox games to PC which is another area that the 360 came in on.

Anyways the only other system to give 3rd developers 100% freedom are these: PS1 & 3DS & Wii U. (2 of them are 8th Gen systems, haha)

Plus the 3DS does 160Mtriangle/s (PICA200) for its polygon count while the PS Vita only does 140Mtriangle/s for its polygon count. They both got 4-core 1 GHz CPU but the Vita has a AMD CPU...let's just say my Windows 7 has a AMD CPU and that's the only reason it CAN'T emulate DS games Literally, but if I had any other CPU in my Windows 7 then I could emulate DS games, which shows just how lousy AMD CPUs are.

Anyways the Wii U already has games like Wonderful 101 & ZombiU 1 & 2 & etc. because of Asymmetric Gaming, specifically "Single-Player-Asymmetrical-Gaming".

I'm curious to see how the 8th Gen Home Consoles play out seeing that the Wii U does HD and has the most interactive gaming capabilities. I guess Holiday 2013 & Holiday 2014 should tell us enough about the Home Consoles battling it out LOL.

Good read actually.

The one thing that disappointed me was Mario 3D. Yeah I know the galaxy theme was gonna stop one day, and I've always felt that the epicness of galaxy will probably not be experienced in the sequel. That said doing a 3D land sequel on the Wii U makes no sense to me. They do get to experiment with Mario and I thought they played it safe mostly due to NSMB U numbers and the low WIi U hardware sales. I think they would've experimented more if it was more successful.

Also I don't think they'll implemet the Wii U pad the way they implemented the Wii mote in Galaxy. It's a shame, but the 4 player multiplayer suggests that unfortunately. I hope we get to see some features but it doesn't seem to be the case.

MDMAlliance said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I may not necessarily agree with the author's reasons, but you seriously cannot think that 1st parties and 3rd parties are the same thing.  First party games for Nintendo have always been their selling points.  Even if the Wii U had ALL the exclusives on the other consoles, they still wouldn't have had as much of an effect as Nintendo's own first party games in terms of system selling.

Your second point, the 3D Mario and Mario Kart games were technically not games we knew anything about except for the fact that they said "yeah, we will be showing them."  Almost everyone knew they would be coming at some point, they just confirmed the showing at e3.

Clearly you always have something to say, even when it doesn't make much sense to make the comments.

Sorry but the OP was claiming victory for Nintendo at E3, so I do reckon I'm free to disagree with that.

1st or 3rd party, game is a game and each person puts a different costumer value in it. WiiU can have more exclusives of its own than PS4/X1, every 3rd party game that doesn't come to WiiU is a reason for gamers not to pick WiiU. PS4/X1 have a greater advantage in having less exclusives but varied, innovating and technologically superior 3rd party games than WiiU with more exclusives but less variety, lack of innovation and a lesser number of games overall.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
MDMAlliance said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I may not necessarily agree with the author's reasons, but you seriously cannot think that 1st parties and 3rd parties are the same thing.  First party games for Nintendo have always been their selling points.  Even if the Wii U had ALL the exclusives on the other consoles, they still wouldn't have had as much of an effect as Nintendo's own first party games in terms of system selling.

Your second point, the 3D Mario and Mario Kart games were technically not games we knew anything about except for the fact that they said "yeah, we will be showing them."  Almost everyone knew they would be coming at some point, they just confirmed the showing at e3.

Clearly you always have something to say, even when it doesn't make much sense to make the comments.

Sorry but the OP was claiming victory for Nintendo at E3, so I do reckon I'm free to disagree with that.

1st or 3rd party, game is a game and each person puts a different costumer value in it. WiiU can have more exclusives of its own than PS4/X1, every 3rd party game that doesn't come to WiiU is a reason for gamers not to pick WiiU. PS4/X1 have a greater advantage in having less exclusives but varied, innovating and technologically superior 3rd party games than WiiU with more exclusives but less variety, lack of innovation and a lesser number of games overall.

"Single-Player-Asymmetric-Gaming" with enough 3rd party exclusives like Bayonetta 2 & Sonic Lost World & The Wonderful 101 & Lego City Undercover & ZombiU 2 & etc. etc. etc. will do in combination with 1st Party games like Mario Kart 8 & others.

The 3DS has the Japanese 3rd parties exclusively in the bag. And I can see games like Mass Effect & Darksiders & so fort still coming to the Wii U as well as PS4/ONE. If the PS4 & ONE gets other games that won't come to Wii U then it won't affect sells that much after seeing the Wii do as well as it did.

I don't know what PS4 & ONE is suppose to do I sales with such games as Call of Duty Ghosts that they haven't been doing with PS3 & 360 in the last Gen. I can see PS4 & ONE sells being very similar in lifetime sales as PS3 & 360. But the Wii U looks like it will have the same kind consumers as Wii, plus more.

No, Nintendo approach to E3 was terrible, the press hated it, the general consensus from the what I've seen and from what I feel myself is that Nintendo completely diflates the power of all their announcements. Some feel that they didn't have enough to show for a conference but they did, they just should have refocused it! Non of their announcements were surprising but Nintendo has allowed people to overlook some of the best games in their line UP

They could've started on the 3DS showing off brief trailers of upcoming titles. -
-Bravery Default (western version)
-New pokemon trailer
-kirby
-Zelda 3DS.

Then transitioned from Zelda on 3DS to WinkWaker HD on the Wii U

-WindWaker HD small trailer
-Pikmin 3 trailer
-Wonderful 101 stage demo. This game has the best use of the touchscreen to date, show the damn thing off!
-Donkey Kong Reveal trailer
-Super Mario World 3D, with an entire 4player stage demo with miyamoto etc
-Smash Bros Wii U announcement trailer
-Beyonetta 2 live demo (the game looks freaking nuts, I wasn't wowed until I saw the E3 floor demo)
-Mario Kart 8 trailer
- X live demo!!!!!! They need to make a big out of this game, it looks 9 incredible , save it for last tell everyone to please be excited for slayage.

i cant disagree more. if anything it told me to wait a year or 2 more.

I think it was an interesting idea to try something different for the E3 conference, but yeah I agree having the press just stand around the empty Nintendo booth and having Reggie/Miyamoto talk to them was just ... awkward.

E3 press events are 10x more exciting and there was a bunch of news that totally got buried because the press meeting was basically a closed door event -- like I had no idea that the Bayonetta designers announced that some kind of 2-player mode for Bayonetta 2 was coming until like three days later.

ryuzaki57 said:
MDMAlliance said:
ryuzaki57 said:

There was absolutely no reason for you to say the bolded part considering the italicized part I said.
Also, don't pretend that the gamers you're referring to are the majority of people buying consoles (at least Nintendo ones).
Also, you're throwing around the word "innovation" but there's very little you know about the games coming to the PS4/X1.  You don't know jackshit if it's "innovating" anything beyond "I can see particles."