By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Wii U have ANY system sellers this holiday?!

System sellers?

Heck yes! 176 37.37%

One or two is, yes 115 24.42%

Combined those games does look impressive... 62 13.16%

I'm not convinced... 51 10.83%

I doubt it... 28 5.94%

God no!! 32 6.79%

rezzzzz cuzz I'm boooring 6 1.27%

Total:470
KHlover said:
Super Mario 3D World will sell systems, just like Super Mario 3D Land did.

Yeah, but that was a one-two-punch-combo together with Mario Kart 7. This one-two-punch is SM3DW (platformer) and DKC:TF (platformer)... Not a killer combo...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
KHlover said:

Yeah, but that was a one-two-punch-combo together with Mario Kart 7. This one-two-punch is SM3DW (platformer) and DKC:TF (platformer)... Not a killer combo...

3D world could be a one hit KO :P

I see three system sellers here:

- Super Mario 3D World
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Wii Fit U

Each of those games could easily sell 5m or more. I get why people are upset about 3D World (not a "real" 3D Mario game, lack of ambition) and Donkey Kong (it's no Metroid) but both games will sell really well and have a certain mass market appeal. 3D World is certainly not weaker as a system seller than any of the Galaxy games was.

What I'm worried about is another problem entirely: I see the Wii U gamepad as adding an actual barrier between the customer and the games. People want the games but they *do not* want to buy a Gamepad: It's too complex, awfully big, has a bad design and looks cheap. It also adds to the price of the system. Where the Wii remote attracted people and made them more likely to buy the games the Gamepad actually stops them from buying into the product. To this day Nintendo can't find a damn use for the gamepad. When they announced Art Academy I thought "for the first time you actually *need* the gamepad to play a game! Wow!" So the question is: How strong is that barrier? Will it stop people from buying Mario and Donkey Kong and Wii Fit? I'm afraid it actually will.

DanneSandin said:
KHlover said:

I agree that they should have given MK8 a higher priority. A 2013 release would have been a killer. Still, 3D World will sell a good amount of copies.

After the newest video I think 3D World will be a hit, probably a bigger hit than the 3DS version or Mario Galaxy.

Other will buy the system for Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 or even Wii Party U and Wii Fit U. Wind Waker HD will surely sell to the hardcore fans.

On top of that there will be some multipat-games like Deus EX, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed IV, Rayman Legends, Batman Arkham Origins and so on.

So I think the Wii U will sell this holiday, probably better than Xbox One and PS4 but 2014 will be more interesting.

Around the Network

To the casual and Nintendo gamer, yes the games are system sellers, Mario 3D World is what any other gamer would want, Wii Fit U can help with few casuals. If you look at the whole line up Super Mario 3D World and Tropical Freeze are the main System sellers they have and with the combination of them all, it will sell.

KHlover said:

Sure but the 3DS price cut helped massively.
Starting here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40769/Global/

and it was the first Mario game on the 3DS.

It will get a bump thanks mostly to Mario 3D World but the PS4 and XboxOne launch will put the WiiU in the shadow this holiday.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

kivi95 said:
It will get a bump thanks mostly to Mario 3D World but the PS4 and XboxOne launch will put the WiiU in the shadow this holiday.

Nah it will outsell both of those consoles this holiday

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barozi said:
KHlover said:

Sure but the 3DS price cut helped massively.
Starting here:
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40769/Global/

and it was the first Mario game on the 3DS.

Although Reggie recently denied it (I think) I still hope for some sort of price cut for the WiiU. That could just be me, wanting some ambassador games, though.